Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 369265 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #1305 on: July 14, 2021, 06:08:45 pm »
If they make Llandudno Junction 20mph can they please remove the speed bumps as they will no longer be required.

They are also inconsistent in their sizing and some do not meet the specification - much damage caused to car suspension and tracking even at  low speed.

Who dreams up these suggestions - perhaps we should all employ someone with a red flag to walk in front of cars.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1306 on: July 15, 2021, 03:47:48 pm »
The problem with speed limits is that people break them. I guess if you set it at 20mph in residential areas  there's more chance drivers will stick under 30 rather than at present under 40mph. Over 30 and the chances are more likely that if a car hits someone, they die, almost certainly more so if over 40. Speed bumps are at least effective in keeping the speed down, irritating though they are at times.
The most effective solution is all cars fitted with a black box which can automatically record, send details and issue a fine to the owner of the vehicle. Yes, I'm sure it would get a positive response from every driver  $bounce$....well maybe not. The real answer is probably in technology that can read road conditions, evaluate traffic of both cars and pedestrians, limit speed and take the necessary action to eliminate the possibility of collisions. It can't be that far away from happening.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1307 on: July 16, 2021, 06:46:36 pm »
If they make Llandudno Junction 20mph can they please remove the speed bumps as they will no longer be required.
Who dreams up these suggestions - perhaps we should all employ someone with a red flag to walk in front of cars.

We thought that they had started the 20 mph rule on Wednesday when we drove down the A470 to Betws Y Coed.   At Glan Conwy we were two cars behind a driver who must have been driving in 3rd gear and the traffic coming the other way was so heavy that any overtaking was impossible.   At the end of the straight section past Maenan Abbey the traffic had backed up behind us for over a mile and this continued through Llanrwst  but the speed slowed down even more when a large tractor pulled out in front of the leading car.
We just had to be patient but the slow car turned over the Waterloo Bridge into Betws and we followed it just to the Church and then we turned off, thank goodness

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1308 on: July 27, 2021, 10:25:35 pm »
A55 flooding 'possible' as Anglesey community bears the brunt of heavy rain
The Met Office has an amber warning of thunderstorms in place for much of Wales until Wednesday morning.    We have been lucky in Colwyn Bay today as we only had a light shower of rain and that didn't last that long either

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a55-flooding-possible-thunderstorms-set-21160755

Offline DVT

« Reply #1309 on: July 30, 2021, 03:49:28 pm »
Can anyone tell where this 4x4 is heading?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1310 on: July 30, 2021, 04:32:07 pm »
Assuming a trick question, I think he will cut you off, and go to the Junction.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1311 on: July 30, 2021, 06:31:40 pm »
Quite correct Steve!  Nearly took the front corner off my car.

No indication whatsoever, but when I blasted my horn he did put his 4-way flashers on for a couple of flashes!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1312 on: July 31, 2021, 09:44:34 am »
I suppose he did accept he was at fault with his signal flash, but most of the time they blame you, and give rude hand gestures.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1313 on: July 31, 2021, 09:53:55 am »
No excuse Steve!  I see a lot of "wrong lanes" since they revised the layout, but that was the worst one, he crossed two lanes - if I hadn't braked sharply he would have had my front wing off.  I do have the full video but don't think I can load it on here as the file is too big (43Mb)!

The layout that most get wrong is if you are going southwards on the A470 - markings show right hand lane when going under the A55 but many are in the left-hand lane (for Mochdre) then switch to right-hand lane on the short approach to the Black Cat roundabout.  You certainly have to be fully aware of everyone else!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1314 on: July 31, 2021, 11:06:34 am »
Putting the lane markings on was a mistake. If you're new to the area, you find yourself competing with the motorists who know the roundabout well, and don't leave you time to think, I suspect.

There's an even worse one near Warwick Uni, when you try to re-enter the M40. Horrendous only starts to describe it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1315 on: August 01, 2021, 03:10:05 pm »
LIVE: A55 closed westbound with traffic at a standstill as police called to crash
The incident has happened westbound between J23 Llanddulas and J22 Old Colwy
n

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-a55-standstill-westbound-police-21198489

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1316 on: August 10, 2021, 02:38:23 pm »
Thought our road was busy, just been told, council painting single yellow line on Gloddaeth Ave, to stop camper vans parking, and it is thought reduced parking times, but will have to wait for new signage, also mentioned was that signs regarding no overnight camper van signs have been removed, from Westshore ?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1317 on: August 10, 2021, 02:53:15 pm »
There were signs in our road Steve, but they were taken away and never replaced. Only last week there was a camper van straight opposite us for at least 2 nights. No problem with them and nothing to stop them, but I always wonder about their waste water which dribbles out and where they empty the loo. We have had all kinds left in the gutters in the past !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1318 on: August 10, 2021, 04:45:43 pm »
Nem, Apparently complaints about emptying waste etc in the gutters and drains is the reason for the new yellow lines, however it has been

pointed out that you could find a lot of vans parked up, using their blue mobility badges, putting the vans aside, the car parking around the side streets in our area is going to get hectic and dangerous, today looked like the Extravaganza was on.   $angry$

FB photo

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1319 on: August 10, 2021, 06:15:48 pm »
Yes, it has been like that at this end. Standing at the front the same cars are to be seen going round and round searching for a space.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.