Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358028 times)

Yorkie

Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »
Get an automatic!   Modern automatics are the answer to driving with todays traffic problems.       <:<:<:<

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2011, 09:36:47 pm »
Traffic lights near the Craigside Inn are causing long tail backs in both directions.  At lunchtime the queue of traffic trying to get out of Llandudno stretched from Craigside Inn all the way back to the paddling pool.

Tell me about it, there were two lots of lights between Llandudno and Rhos this morning. Chaos reigned.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2011, 10:17:53 pm »
Get an automatic!   Modern automatics are the answer to driving with todays traffic problems.       <:<:<:<

so many automatics seem to end up going through shop windows  :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2011, 08:42:41 am »
Usually the driver-- not the car!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Yorkie

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2011, 09:30:15 am »
If you put your foot on the accelerator, whether the car is manual or automatic, and the car is in gear, it will move!    It is just a case of driving skills.    >>>
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:42:33 am by Yorkie »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:49 am »
Yes, the recent case of the car in Rhos happened because the driver pressed the accelerator instead of the brake.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2011, 10:52:20 am »
If you put your foot on the accelerator, whether the car is manual or automatic, and the car is in gear, it will move!    It is just a case of driving skills.    >>>

I agree 100% however most of the shop window, supermarket carpark incidents seem to involve automatics, i've driven autos with no problem myself, but i do prefer manual  ^*^0

Yorkie

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2011, 03:06:52 pm »
I regularly leap from my auto to the Wife's manual and am used to driving both as many of us do.  However when using the auto I still drive with two feet, using the right for the accelerator and the left for braking!   It is something I have got used to over the years but something that others find peculiar!   

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »
when using the auto I still drive with two feet, using the right for the accelerator and the left for braking!   It is something I have got used to over the years but something that others find peculiar!

It can be dangerous, too, as it increases the risk of depressing both simultaneously. However, I much prefer autos to stick drive.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »
Well, I have been doing it for at least 40 years and haven't had any problems so far.   However, I don't recommend it to my pupils when I'm teaching Advanced and Defensive driving! 

I don't see how it can increase any risk of depressing both at once, because either one wants to increase or maintain a constant speed or slow down! 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2011, 08:25:26 am »
I don't see how it can increase any risk of depressing both at once, because either one wants to increase or maintain a constant speed or slow down! 

It's been found that those who transfer to auto driving from stick driving are used to the two-foot approach to stop quickly (Brake and Clutch) and that - when transferring to an automatic - instinct can take over in an emergency situation, and they slam both feet down to stop.  Now, in any modern auto, the brake easily overrides the accelerator effect, but, in some of the earlier autos, that instinctive reaction caused the car to lurch forward. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2011, 09:36:11 am »

It's been found that those who transfer to auto driving from stick driving are used to the two-foot approach to stop quickly (Brake and Clutch) and that - when transferring to an automatic - instinct can take over in an emergency situation, and they slam both feet down to stop.  Now, in any modern auto, the brake easily overrides the accelerator effect, but, in some of the earlier autos, that instinctive reaction caused the car to lurch forward. 

and end up through a shop window!

Yorkie

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2011, 10:21:11 am »

Or totally accident free depending on the skill of the driver!   ¢¢##

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2011, 12:20:41 pm »

Or totally accident free depending on the skill of the driver!   ¢¢##

again I agree 100% with that, I'll stick with manual though  ^*^0

Yorkie