Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 372290 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #1200 on: October 09, 2020, 10:24:19 am »
A crash by Pen Y Clip on the A55 has caused some problems this morning

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-a55-crash-causes-traffic-19075967

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1201 on: October 13, 2020, 10:03:25 am »
COUNCILS are set to be given the power to fine people for parking on pavements.

Welsh Government ministers are backing recommendations by independent panel the Welsh Pavement Parking Taskforce (WPPT) that would grant local authorities additional civil enforcement powers to fine problem parkers by 2022.

There is no specific offence of parking on pavements and while police can enforce the criminal offence of causing ‘unnecessary obstruction of any part of the highway’ it is rarely used.

“The current law is not as clear as it could be", said Deputy Transport Minister, Lee Waters, who set up the taskforce.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18790016.welsh-government-give-local-authorities-power-tackle-problem-parking-pavements/

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1202 on: October 13, 2020, 10:55:18 pm »
COUNCILS are set to be given the power to fine people for parking on pavements.Welsh Government ministers are backing recommendations by independent panel the Welsh Pavement Parking Taskforce (WPPT) that would grant local authorities additional civil enforcement powers to fine problem parkers by 2022.

One Law I totally agree with, it's so overdue.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Dave

« Reply #1203 on: October 14, 2020, 01:59:54 pm »
Some might like to add their names to the petition to try and prevent more deaths of young drivers, their passengers and other road users as a result of inappropriate driving and lack of experience.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54512237

I started this thread 10 years ago, many more young people have died during that time and in doing so, other innocent lives have been lost in the process, and yet nothing has been done to try and improve matters.
I don't see how anyone could actually oppose common sense.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1204 on: October 14, 2020, 02:50:30 pm »
Agreed, and have signed the petition, a link from the article leads to a suggestion for using mini dash cams, as a way of reducing their insurance, a combination of both might make a good deterrent for those who drive dangerously.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1205 on: October 14, 2020, 04:26:07 pm »
A tracker in the car also helps and reduces the insurance premiums.     A friend of mine had a tracker fitted to his young daughter's car and it not only tells my friend where she is, where she has been and how fast she was driving.
His daughter knows about it and is in agreement otherwise the insurance for a young person would be sky high

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1206 on: October 15, 2020, 08:37:21 am »
Two vehicle crash on the A55 by Northop sparks delays on the road

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-two-vehicle-crash-sparks-19106549

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1207 on: October 18, 2020, 02:58:07 pm »
I wanted to go to the Kinmel Bay Water Garden Centre today and normally I would drive along the A55 from Colwyn Bay, turn off at the Three Ways roundabout  and proceed along the Abergele Straights to the Borth Cross Roads roundabout where I would turn left to go to the Garden Centre.
However these are not normal times and Borth Cross Roads is in Denbighshire and vehicles from Conwy are not allowed to go into Denbighshire.    Also  I had been speaking to a friend earlier and she told me that a person who lived in Rhyl had gone over to Kinmel Bay and was promptly fined for doing so
So I had a dilemma, chance going along the Borth Cross Roads route and chancing the Police not being there or go through Towyn and down St Asaph Avenue in Kinmel Bay to get there.
One look at Mrs H  was enough.  I settled for a safe and peaceful life and went through Towyn and returned the same way and didn't break any  lockdown instructions

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #1208 on: October 18, 2020, 03:59:02 pm »
I did that same trip but as the road is the border on OS maps I took the risk on the way there by passing the Denbighshire (welcomes you!!) sign  on the A547.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1209 on: October 18, 2020, 04:28:17 pm »
My car is going in to the dealers on Friday for a fuel pump change (subject of a recall).

I have been told to have very little fuel in the tank when I take it in.  In the past month I have only driven about 50 miles and there is enough fuel for another 200 miles.

So consult the OS map - a nice scenic run from Llandudno Junction down the Conwy Valley to Betws-y-Coed, eastwards along the A5 to Pentrefoelas then northwards (A543) towards Denbigh and Denbighshire.  However, just before crossing the border turn left up an unclassified road, passing Llyn Aled and on to Llansannan, down to Abergele and home.  That should take up about 60 to 70 miles.

Still need to use up another 80 miles or so ... from home to Abergele along the A55 is 10 miles (20 round trip) and from home to Llanfairfechan is about the same.

That should do, and I won't be crossing the border!

It's the opposite of being in the Dukes of Hazzard, fleeing the Police and crossing the county line!

Offline Dave

« Reply #1210 on: October 19, 2020, 03:28:42 pm »
Enjoy your freedom while you still can DVT, we have little time left to do so!!

Meanwhile yesterday a drive up the Conwy Valley for me. I note the Black Cat roadworks coming along nicely but was a bit bemused to see the road markings being A470G to indicate the lane to go north. Most local and Welsh speaking users will probably be familiar with the route anyway but no doubt most foreigners ( including those from just across the border) might not be. Surely N would have been a more appropriate choice although I daresay those avid Nationalists who insist on the Welsh language coming first would prefer we don't allow visitors at all!

Offline DVT

« Reply #1211 on: October 19, 2020, 04:34:39 pm »
I went round the new layout this morning and didn't notice the G instead of N ... there seemed to be too many road markings and impossible to take them all in - I was too busy looking ahead instead of down!

Have the Welsh direction letters been used elsewhere, I've never noticed them ... how do they differentiate between G (Gogledd, North) and G (Gorllewin, West) and also D (De, South) or D (Dwyrain, East) ??? !!!  Welsh speakers won't know if they're coming or going.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1212 on: October 20, 2020, 11:09:36 am »
Drove the tiny part of the roundabout between the Junction and Llandudno exits and a quick glance seemed to have S,E,W markings.It is confusing for a stranger I imagine!

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1213 on: October 20, 2020, 02:07:13 pm »
Enjoy your freedom while you still can DVT, we have little time left to do so!!

Meanwhile yesterday a drive up the Conwy Valley for me. I note the Black Cat roadworks coming along nicely but was a bit bemused to see the road markings being A470G to indicate the lane to go north. Most local and Welsh speaking users will probably be familiar with the route anyway but no doubt most foreigners ( including those from just across the border) might not be. Surely N would have been a more appropriate choice although I daresay those avid Nationalists who insist on the Welsh language coming first would prefer we don't allow visitors at all!

I was under the impression that all Road Signs and Markings had to be Bi-Lingual or am I missing some thing?
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1214 on: October 22, 2020, 09:45:32 am »
Police expecting caravans 'flying across the A55' ahead of Wales entering 'fire-break' lockdown
Chief Inspector Jeff Moses said he anticipates 'lots of of people trying to come to Wales'

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-expecting-caravans-flying-across-19144877