Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 359293 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #1140 on: June 23, 2020, 11:22:23 am »
PART of the A55 dual carriageway has been given an LED lighting upgrade during the coronavirus lockdown.   ref Pioneer

The lights have been placed between Junction 18 (Conwy/Llandudno Junction) and 23 (Llanddulas).

According to Traffic Wales North and Mid, the new lighting is 'more energy-efficient, cost-effective and easier to maintain'.

A spokesperson said: "This should also minimise disruption in the long term by reducing the likelihood of closures to deal with faults."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1141 on: June 30, 2020, 10:14:50 am »
SEVERAL drink and drug drive arrests were made by North Wales Police officers at the weekend.

Arrests were made in Llanfairpwll, Towyn, Trefor near Caernarfon, Conwy, Abergwyngregyn, Llanddulas, Llandudno, Bangor, Abergele, Maentwrog, Bodelwyddan and Bontnewydd.

A North Wales Police spokesperson said: "Some of these now have to wait for the results of further tests and others have been charged and will have to explain their actions to the Court.

"Needless to say this behaviour is extremely worrying and disappointing.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1142 on: July 06, 2020, 05:16:45 pm »
The flooding happened a few days ago on the road to Abergynolwen and the hotel was lucky to escape flooding in the main building

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/historic-lakeside-hotel-hit-flooding-18541697

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1143 on: July 09, 2020, 11:02:49 am »
Driver stopped on the A55 giving his pal a lift to Court.       You couldn't make it up but just how many more drivers are like that?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a55-driver-gives-lift-pal-18563835

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1144 on: July 10, 2020, 10:35:02 am »
An eight mile section of the A55 will be closed for 10 nights for roadworks.

The entire westbound carriageway between Caerwys (J31) and St Asaph (J27) will be shut for essential maintenance work.
The work will take place between the hours of 7pm and 6am each day, commencing on Monday, July 20.

A diversion route is in place and will follow the A5151 towards Prestatyn and then through Dyserth.

At the roundabout near Rhuddlan Golf Club, it shall follow the A547 towards Abergele, before joining the A525 Rhuddlan by-pass towards St Asaph.
Traffic shall then re-join the westbound A55 at the J27 westbound onslip.
Maintenance is scheduled to be completed by Saturday, August 1.  ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1145 on: July 18, 2020, 10:51:59 am »
Major Welsh speed limit change that will affect every neighbourhood
If passed we could become the first nation in the world to adopt the measure

Plans to introduce 20mph speed limits in all residential areas of Wales have been backed by the Senedd.

This week an independent report recommended Wales becomes the first nation in the world to adopt the new measure by 2023 and received support in Cardiff this week.

It would see all roads in residential areas have a default 20mph speed limit, with communities and local authorities, deciding which should remain at 30mph.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/major-welsh-speed-limit-change-18613592

Offline DVT

« Reply #1146 on: July 18, 2020, 12:57:46 pm »
Just who comes up with these ideas ... yes, I agree you shouldn't drive quickly through populated areas, but you should also drive with care and according to the conditions at all times.  Will it save lives, I suggest perhaps not - what is needed is to educate pedestrians, including children, the green cross code or the modern equivalent.  How often do you see kids walking in the road, even when parents are not far away - I see it every time when the local school finishes at the end of the day.  One death or casualty is one too many but how many are purely due to speed, and not other factors such as bad driving not paying attention - drivers and pedestrians.

As for saving the planet, then I suspect all cars are more efficient at 30mph in a high gear (mine will do that in sixth gear and pull away comfortably afterwards) than they are at 20mph in a lower gear (mine would have to be in 4th).

Soon we will all be driving round in electric cars (which will be silent so you won't hear them coming) and to reduce the number of unemployed people (bear in mind that there will be more of them in a few months time) then the government (i.e. taxpayer) will pay them for walking in front of cars whilst carrying a red flag - this could be done in villages where the red flag carrier precedes a car (or perhaps a convoy when it's busy) through the village before then chapperoning one the other way - good exercise as well!  Don't let the Welsh Assembly know I suggested that, they might act on it!

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1147 on: July 18, 2020, 01:19:09 pm »
Certain prima facie limits are established by California law and include the 25 MPH speed limit in business and residential districts and the 25 MPH limit in school zones when children are present. I have driven there and didn't find it in any way onerous so I will reserve judgement on 20 MPH. Luckily I'm not in a rush to get anywhere these days.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1148 on: July 24, 2020, 10:12:08 am »
They have no one but themselves to blame for this latest action.     The tow truck businesses could be thriving now

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-snowdonia-parking-rules-you-18652984

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1149 on: July 27, 2020, 09:52:30 am »
It must have been a terrifying ordeal for the car driver yesterday when they lost two wheels off their car whilst driving on the A55  Expressway between Llandudno Junction and Colwyn Bay

It made me remember the time many years ago when I was a passenger in my friend David Rawling's car and we were travelling down Mostyn Street when a car tyre shot past us.  About 50 yards further on we found out whose car tyre it was when Dave's car came to a halt and tilted to one side

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-a55-lane-closed-car-18665159

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1150 on: July 27, 2020, 10:19:27 am »
Losing one is understandable, but losing two looks like carelessness.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1151 on: July 31, 2020, 03:33:50 pm »
I thought that Penrhyn Road in Colwyn Bay was bad for parking with many motorists double parking while they pop in to the Banks or Building Societies but that was nothing compared to what I saw today in Llandudno
I wanted to go to Bernards in the short section of Queen's Road that leads to the Promenade but ended up parking in a nearby street.  Vehicles were double parked in the centre of the Queen's  Road, I say that loosely as there was no logic to the manner in which they were parked and it was hard to drive past them.
In addition large commercial vehicles were parked on a traffic island on a T junction with Mostyn Avenue it was unbelievable but where were the Traffic Wardens while this was going on?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1152 on: July 31, 2020, 07:27:22 pm »
That's been the normal parking there for years Hugo how their haven't been loads of prangs along there.and did you notice the taxi rank at the end.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1153 on: August 01, 2020, 08:50:57 am »
The situation in the area that you mean Hugo has been bad for years. How anyone dare leave a respectable car in the middle of the road, I hate to think. It is like Russian Roulette !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1154 on: August 01, 2020, 09:25:13 am »
I've parked my car in the centre of the road many times before but only when it was safe to do so and in line with the other cars that were already there.      Yesterday was bad with cars parking at an angle and looking like they were just abandoned and as for those commercial vehicles parked on a traffic island and on a busy T junction that was crazy
I wish that I had my camera in the car to take a photo of the fiasco