Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358256 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #975 on: March 06, 2019, 09:04:42 am »
They do seem absurd, on the face of it and my understanding is that there has to be a case made before these things can be added.  So questions to CCBC (if it is CCBC and not Highways Wales):

1. What evidence was provided to justify the creation of these bumps?
2. Who - specifically - authorised their installation and what case did they make?
3. What evidence exists in terms of serious collisions exists at the roundabouts concerned?

One thing that worries me a little is the amount of road works that have been taking place recently and whether they may be allied to the concept of using the current year's financial allocation unless it is clawed back on April 6th. IN which case, the fault lies with the WA. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #976 on: March 12, 2019, 10:31:17 am »
Who on earth decided to put red lines across the road on the approach to the roundabout between Marl Farm and Black Cat on the A470 (the roundabout at the top of the hill where Narrow Lane goes off).  It's like driving along a railway line with just the sleepers in place, plays havoc with the suspension on my two-month old car, and that is at 20mph.  Also nearly shakes my teeth out even at that slow speed.

Why are highways department putting up so many obstructions to drivers - these red lines, pavements that extend outwards at irregular intervals, speed pumps, extra traffic islands, extra lanes.  Fill in the potholes instead, please.

Be interesting to see if there are more accidents as a result of the roads not being so clear, but I doubt we will ever get that comparative information.

We drove over those awful red stripes yesterday in our Mercedes CL55 AMG,  very uncomfortable even in that car with its ABC suspension.  Almost as bad as the dreaded speed humps!

You have abandoned British Leyland, Andy?!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #977 on: March 14, 2019, 04:45:09 pm »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #978 on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:47 am »
Who on earth decided to put red lines across the road on the approach to the roundabout between Marl Farm and Black Cat on the A470 (the roundabout at the top of the hill where Narrow Lane goes off).  It's like driving along a railway line with just the sleepers in place, plays havoc with the suspension on my two-month old car, and that is at 20mph.  Also nearly shakes my teeth out even at that slow speed.

Why are highways department putting up so many obstructions to drivers - these red lines, pavements that extend outwards at irregular intervals, speed pumps, extra traffic islands, extra lanes.  Fill in the potholes instead, please.

Be interesting to see if there are more accidents as a result of the roads not being so clear, but I doubt we will ever get that comparative information.

We drove over those awful red stripes yesterday in our Mercedes CL55 AMG,  very uncomfortable even in that car with its ABC suspension.  Almost as bad as the dreaded speed humps!

Yes Dave, a long time ago, 4 Mercedes Benz cars now, wonderful machines! This is a CL55 AMG, amazing car.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #979 on: March 16, 2019, 02:05:04 pm »

Yes Dave, a long time ago, 4 Mercedes Benz cars now, wonderful machines! This is a CL55 AMG, amazing car.
Good for you, mate. Glad you and H are enjoying life.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #980 on: March 16, 2019, 09:03:56 pm »
Thanks to your great tip about GVC Dave, many thanks for that!  :)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #981 on: March 17, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »
Some places and roads have been affected by the recent heavy rainfall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47601346

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #982 on: March 30, 2019, 09:27:20 am »
THE Tal-y-Cafn bridge in the Conwy Valley which was closed for maintenance has reopened on schedule.

The bridge, which closed five weeks ago, is the only crossing over the River Conwy between Llanrwst and Conwy. It necessitated a 12 miles long diversion.
The work included replacing waterproofing on the concrete deck; replacing joints; upgrading drainage; repairing concrete and resurfacing.                    ref Pioneer

Offline Dave

« Reply #983 on: April 01, 2019, 02:11:11 pm »
Asda traffic lights.... cars continuing to miss the new "No Right Turn" sign when trying to cross from town direction in to Asda. Beware that there are no give way signs either so if you approach from the Links Roundabout take care!! If you are coming from the other direction Pay Attention!!!!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #984 on: April 04, 2019, 12:09:14 pm »
TOLLS for the Great Orme’s Marine Drive have been increased by up to 50 per cent causing protest in Llandudno.

One resident described the increase by Conwy County Borough council as exorbitant.

Gareth Pritchard said: “How can the council justify raising the season permit charge from £20 to £30 from the 1st of April? A 50 per cent increase is exorbitant. It's not an April Fool's joke, it is a bad joke.”

He added: “This won’t help tourism, which the town’s economy depends upon. It won’t help local people either, how many residents would want to drive round the Orme at least nine times to justify paying the charge?”

A spokesperson for the council said: “We review costs annually. The toll pays for maintenance works and upkeep of Marine Drive which is a beautiful five mile route with spectacular views, and we consider these prices are good value for money.”

The old and new fares are: bicycles are free; motorbikes have increased from £1.50 to £1.80; cars from £3 to £3.50; minibuses from £5.50 to £6.50; coaches from £6.50 to £10.00 (by agreement only, weight limit is nine tonnes) and a season permit goes up from £20 to £30.   ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #985 on: April 05, 2019, 11:45:26 am »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #986 on: April 07, 2019, 04:09:39 pm »
But not good news for others in Llanfairfechan                  Families to be forced from homes for A55 roundabout removal -

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/families-forced-homes-a55-roundabout-16086228?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar

Offline Hugo

« Reply #987 on: April 10, 2019, 04:52:31 pm »
Yesterday I drove from St Asaph to Trefnant along the Upper Denbigh Road and there were long road works just by the old Hospital but the delay wasn't too bad.
This morning though I drove along the coast Road to Rhyl and the road works at Kinmel Bay are horrific, so allow more time if you are unfortunate to have to drive to Rhyl
It's a four way system so expect some delay but watch out for the idiots going through on the red light as a crash there seems inevitable at some time

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #988 on: May 15, 2019, 02:59:48 pm »
Sychnant Pass Road closure from 8.00 Tuesday 28th May reopens 17.00 Thursday 30th May, for urgent repair work to the cattle grid. The road will be closed to vehicles & walkers between Coet Mor Farm & Tyrau Duon.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #989 on: May 22, 2019, 03:51:08 pm »
One for the diary...................

A stretch of the A55 will be closed for five weeks later this year as "vital" bridge repair works continue.

The Welsh Government has announced the second phase of a scheme to fix the Kneeshaw Lupton bridge at Llanddulas will begin on Sunday, September 8.
A contraflow system will be in place 24 hours a day, with a single lane of traffic in each direction of the westbound carriageway being installed between Llanddulas and Old Colwyn .
The eastbound carriageway will be closed while the work is carried out.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/stretch-a55-closed-five-weeks-16314677