Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358341 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #750 on: December 21, 2017, 08:45:40 am »
Two people killed in the road crash last night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-42437368

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #751 on: January 15, 2018, 05:52:30 pm »
More delays.......

Plans to remove roundabouts on the A55 could be hit by a delay after it emerged collapsed firm Carillion was carrying out the design contract on the multi-million pound project.

The Welsh Government awarded the design element of the scheme at Penmaenmawr and Llanfairfechan to Carillion last year.
But today the company - which employs 20,000 workers across Britain - went into compulsory liquidation.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/a55-roundabouts-carillion-penmaenmawr-llanfairfechan-14158838

Offline SteveH

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #753 on: January 17, 2018, 12:57:30 pm »
Excellent example of the governemnt's stupidity in cutting road traffic police. Not one police vehicle in the entire escapade.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #754 on: January 17, 2018, 08:28:32 pm »
I'm not sure that the number of traffic police would have made a difference Ian. If he only drove a mile he was off the road in a few minutes...provided he didn't hit anything.
Many years ago I spotted a car driving towards Llanddulas having come up the slip road on the wrong side at Pensarn. I drove alongside on the opposite carriageway  blaring my horn but to no avail. I pulled over and dialled 999 for the police and reported him.
I later discovered a friend of my wife's husband had had to swerve to avoid him and badly damaged his van but at least wasn't injured. He told us that the police never did catch the offender.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #755 on: January 25, 2018, 11:09:14 am »
Almost 400 drivers have been caught speeding in just one week through roadworks with a 40mph limit on the A55 .
Work to install a noise barrier to tackle the sound of traffic has begun at Sea Road Bridge near Abergele , and a temporary speed limit has been put in place.

Go Safe Cymru says average speed cameras have captured 380 vehicles breaking the limit since work started on January 15.

The average speed cameras are live and by Tuesday had captured 380 vehicles exceeding the speed limit.

“These have now been processed by Go Safe. Please keep to the speed limit and keep the workforce safe.”
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/hundreds-drivers-snapped-just-week-14198688

Offline Hugo

« Reply #756 on: January 25, 2018, 02:20:25 pm »
 :-}}}      I wish that I had seen this earlier

Offline SteveH

« Reply #757 on: January 25, 2018, 02:26:05 pm »
:-}}}      I wish that I had seen this earlier

Ouch,  how much  ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #758 on: January 25, 2018, 02:33:39 pm »
I'll have to wait and see but to be fair most of the drivers were doing below 40 mph,  just one or two being silly    :-[ :-[

Offline Dave

« Reply #760 on: February 14, 2018, 05:00:31 pm »
Guilty M'lud. 48mph.
I'm all in favour of protecting the workforce and always slow down in roadworks when there is work going on, however, at 1.48am on a Sunday morning they were all tucked up in bed and that's where I wanted to be too. Hardly a soul out on the roads at that time of night.

Offline mull

« Reply #761 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:30 pm »
How do you know there is no work going on.
If there is a speed limit shown it is there for a reason . How do you know workers are not in the area.

I have a son working on motorway maintenance who recently had an idiot driving a Porche try to race a lorry into a single lane on the M12 failed to make it and ended up in the middle of a work site at 0230 in the morning. Luckily everyone managed to jump clear before anyone was hit. He probably thought who will be working at this time of day.

Who are you to decide whether a speed limit needs to be observed. The crew working on the road need to be safe in the workplace.
Don't forget these workers have families.

RANT OVER.

Offline DVT

« Reply #762 on: February 14, 2018, 09:36:58 pm »
Having worked out how the speed limiter works on my car I have been going through the Abergele roadworks with it set at 40 ... awful to drive as it won't accelarate and the car keeps braking as soon as you get to 40 ... which is what it's supposed to do, but horrible to experience.

On Monday I was coming through at about 11pm ... an Irish registered artic that I had passed a mile or so before was trying to climb into my boot  flashing his headlights - I could not accelarate and actually thought he was going to push me.  He did eventually pull over, managed it without removing the rear corner of my car and then accelarated and must have been doing 50+ as he passed where the workers were actually doing something.

I wonder if he will get done or will he get away with it as it was not on a UK registration.

Offline Dave

« Reply #763 on: February 14, 2018, 10:59:58 pm »
How do you know there is no work going on.
If there is a speed limit shown it is there for a reason . How do you know workers are not in the area.

I have a son working on motorway maintenance who recently had an idiot driving a Porche try to race a lorry into a single lane on the M12 failed to make it and ended up in the middle of a work site at 0230 in the morning. Luckily everyone managed to jump clear before anyone was hit. He probably thought who will be working at this time of day.

Who are you to decide whether a speed limit needs to be observed. The crew working on the road need to be safe in the workplace.
Don't forget these workers have families.

RANT OVER.
You are right of course I have no right to decide but with no other traffic on the road and headlights on full beam I had total vision for a long way ahead and around me and could see that there wasn't anyone working on that stretch so I wasn't posing more of a threat, in fact less of a threat , than a car legally driving down the Craigside section of the prom at 40mph in the middle of summer with cars parked on either side of the road too.
Just make sure you don't break the 20MPH limit outside schools which is very easily done late at night when everyone is tucked up in bed.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #764 on: February 15, 2018, 08:28:17 am »
As worrying as speeding through roadworks is, the number of drivers who seem to have no clue about signalling when on a roundabout seems at least as great, if not more, and they're equally capable of causing accidents.  Just stand at any non-mini roundabout in the area and watch. Most don't seem to have a clue. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.