Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358342 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #705 on: October 24, 2017, 01:57:37 pm »
Last Saturday (21st) just before mid-day a Renault Clio hit the telegraph pole near the hole in the wall, brought down the telephone wire.  My son works in the Brewers Fayre and told me that was the fourth in about a week!  The FIAT makes it (at least) five so it does suggest an issue with the  the road.

The Craigside Inn has two entrance/exits.

It is not unusual for a motorist turning right and entering the second entrance when travelling from Llandudno.

If this happens when another motorist is wanting to exit the car park using the designated exit then that car will pass immediately in front of the car now entering the car park.

Should there be a second car travelling from Llandudno and following the other motorist then the second car will now be stuck out in the main road and in the path of cars travelling too fast downhill.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #706 on: October 24, 2017, 02:48:08 pm »
The turning to the Premier Inn can be quite tricky at times, especially in holiday traffic as locals will know.    However there is a 40 mph speed limit there and double white lines so any car following the one turning should not cross those lines so they wouldn't be a danger to oncoming traffic.

I've not even seen skid marks by the hole in the wall so did that motorist apply their brakes before going across the road, mounting the kerb and hitting the wall?

I do feel sorry for the person whose wall has often been damaged by motorists and trust that she has been compensated by the offending car's insurance cover.

Offline Neil

« Reply #707 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:01 pm »
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the road, the answer is obvious, an apparition of a giant fire breathing red dragon appears at this point in the road and causes the crashes  $walesflag$

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #708 on: October 24, 2017, 04:04:51 pm »
The turning to the Premier Inn can be quite tricky at times, especially in holiday traffic as locals will know.    However there is a 40 mph speed limit there and double white lines so any car following the one turning should not cross those lines so they wouldn't be a danger to oncoming traffic.

I've not even seen skid marks by the hole in the wall so did that motorist apply their brakes before going across the road, mounting the kerb and hitting the wall?

I do feel sorry for the person whose wall has often been damaged by motorists and trust that she has been compensated by the offending car's insurance cover.
Maybe people still get things wrong tough Hugo. I can’t get beyond a rough location for the Craigside manor, at least not enough to picture the junctions and am out of your area a long while.  Still however I look at things, it’s pretty much a given that the will be a bump or two per year on a road junction near me where the A149 and A140 join, I’d guess largely as a result of the sweeping bend from N Walsham (trying to describe, not expecting you to know where I am).A little further up the road, cars can leave and hit a property.

Rumour has it that the late major  G offered to sell a corner of his land to improve road safety but it wasn’t taken up on.

I know one can argue speed, etc. and argue that oneself is the safest driver in the world (I was even the latter on two wheels – but stupid at times and never took my test (on that or with a car) but you at least learn that every car driver is potentially out to get you)…but I’d think now that we always need to consider a few aspects.

One of these should surely be whether or not better signposting or improvements to a road or layout itself might reduce accidents?

Offline DVT

« Reply #709 on: October 24, 2017, 04:23:13 pm »
The entrance/exits at the Brewers Fayre are a bit narrow for two cars to pass ... everyone I have seen enters the venue via the entrance/exit closest to Colwyn Bay and exit via the entrance/exit closest to Llandudno.  In other words, treat the tree/island as a roundabout.

Seems more obvious when you are leaving the venue.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #710 on: October 24, 2017, 10:48:36 pm »
Mrs H told me about the crash on the A55 this afternoon when the eastbound carriageway was blocked at Abergele and there were tailbacks past Llanddulas.
Luckily she was travelling in the westbound carriageway.    The road was cleared after about 90 minutes

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/drivers-caught-7-mile-queues-13807101

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #711 on: October 25, 2017, 08:26:05 am »
It's becoming depressingly familiar, that situation.  And there's that use of 'span' again.
The road was shut for around 90 minutes after the car smashed into the central reservation and span around in the middle of the road.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #712 on: November 06, 2017, 06:54:24 am »
First time over the Turpin Bridge(Mersey Gateway). What an amazing structure. We just paid our£4 for 2 trips online before we went. Much easier trip now to the airport.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #713 on: November 11, 2017, 10:52:30 am »
Modern technology or old fashioned highway robbery.

Mersey toll bridge anger by Liverpool Airport travellers hit by fines
Drivers from North Wales have been slapped with bills after failing to pay online charge.

Article and 26 comments..... http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/mersey-toll-bridge-anger-liverpool-13887755

This link mentioned in one of the comments..
More than two million fines were handed out in 2016 for using the Dartford Crossing and failing to pay, according to figures from Highways England.

Figures released earlier in the year show the total income for use of the crossing from 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016 was £161.6million, an increase of £61.8million compared with the previous year.
Nearly one third of this - £53.1million – was raised from enforcement action, which Highways England said helped drive the increase in revenues.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-4695986/I-face-200-fine-failure-pay-Dartford-Crossing.html

Offline DVT

« Reply #714 on: November 11, 2017, 01:41:11 pm »
Seems that you are expected to slow down or stop at the sign and make a note of how to pay ... I will probably be going over that bridge on Monday evening so will see how easy that is ... although I have looked on the website and know how to pay.

But if it was my wife on her own what would she do ... she does not do online banking, does not have a phone that connects to the web and does not use a computer ... and I'm sure she's not the only person like that.

The time allowed before the fines are sent out is far too short as well.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #715 on: November 11, 2017, 03:05:43 pm »
I wonder if one way to make the point is for every motorist to slow down sufficiently to read the signs. If that means stopping mid-lane, then so be it. It would certainly be interesting to see how they'd deal with the resulting queues.  Perhaps we should all try it on Monday next at 0830...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #716 on: November 11, 2017, 05:52:27 pm »
I know this will possibly not get agreement with a high percentage of people on the forum opinions but personally I think the new bridge is excellent to use. I travel over it probably 2 to 4 times a week to get to a location very near the airport. The new bridge may cost me £1.80 a crossing but saves me around 20 to 30 minutes each way. Even if people were to slow down or stop to look at the signage and get the phone number or website info they need to pay on it would still be quicker than going the old route.

Offline DVT

« Reply #717 on: November 11, 2017, 07:28:44 pm »
I think the issues about the new bridge are (a) the old one was free, (b) not everyone has the facility to be able to make the payment online and (c) the short timescale in which you must pay to avoid additional charges.

It does seem that it is not possible to note the method of payment if you are new to the area and unaware of what is required.

I mkight find out on Monday evening if I choose to go that way - from Liverpool to Knutsford, according to Google Maps it is the same mileage and time as using the M62/M6 so dependent on whether or not the motorways are clear.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #718 on: November 11, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »
M. I do not think anybody will knock the advantages of the new bridge or the charges?  Especially those who are aware of the rules, however it does appear that it will penalise the unwary, and as DVT says *The time allowed before the fines are sent out is far too short *  and the company running the toll, seem to expect an increased revinue from these fines, (mentioned above)  I recently crossed the bridge on a quiet Sunday morning as a passenger, with plenty of time to read the signs, even under these circumstances I missed the relevent information, so I do sympathise with those, in my opinion, who are being victimised.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #719 on: November 12, 2017, 07:49:03 am »
Has Speke Road been upgraded as part of the process?