Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358563 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #870 on: August 03, 2018, 01:10:49 pm »
I have just come back from Conwy and it looked like a vehicle was blocking the arch by the Castle and there was quite a tailback along the cob
On the A55  the westbound lane was hardly moving on both lanes and from the Black Cat roundabout the traffic in both lanes backed up to Colwyn Bay

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #871 on: August 03, 2018, 05:12:35 pm »
The tailback on the A55 was due to a tanker being off the road around the Mochdre area.  Everything had to pull out to pass it, so effectively closing one lane down.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #872 on: August 03, 2018, 05:41:47 pm »
Thanks Ian for posting that, it's quite worrying when you see traffic backing up like that as you tend to think that there has been an accident.  Hope that no one was hurt as a result

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #873 on: August 03, 2018, 06:39:16 pm »
Certainly weren't an police or ambulances when I passed it at 1230 today, Hugo.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Speed limit enforcement
« Reply #874 on: August 06, 2018, 03:22:13 pm »
 We all understand the need for speed limits. And practically every driver is aware that the maximum speed limit you can drive at safely varies as to the time of day and the weather. And most of us appreciate that it would be intractable to have different max speed limits to say 8.30 in the morning and 2.00 in the middle of the night. Schools do it, but that is the exception.
  But what sticks in my throat is the way that the traffic enforcers, the speed camera men, appear to delight it setting up in an area at a time when it is perfectly safe to drive at 40 miles an hour. An example. Cayley prom in Rhos. A busy Sunday afternoon in summer. Children and parked cars everywhere. 30 mph definite. Same place, a wet Wednesday morning in February not a soul in site, no car within quarter mile, good vesability. And there we are. The camera van.  It’s good for their business if their business is racking in maximum amount of cash for the least effort.
   So I turn to the dual carriageway between the welcome to llandudno sign and the traffic island at the bottom of the hill in penrhyn bay. A dual carriageway I might add which doesent even have the danger of a road travelling in the opposition direction. It’s about 12 feet lower.
  So. Drive from llandudno over the little Orme at 40mph. At the top reduced to 30 mph. Just as you enter the dual carriageway. I suggest that hundreds of drivers exceed this limit down thus hill.especially in the overtaking lane.
  Towards the bottom on the left is a virtually unused lane leading to the old querry. What a splendid place for a police car. Absolutely impossible for any driver to spot it before it’s too late. Probably took £1000 in the first half hour. On the day last week when it was parked there

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #875 on: August 09, 2018, 07:06:57 am »
Agreed Mike, that’s one of the most sneaky I’ve heard of.
It does seem highly geared to raking in as much cash as possible.  But, surely not.. Hmmm.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #876 on: August 09, 2018, 08:01:22 am »
I wish the Police would have been in that spot to catch the taxi driver from Radio Cabs who overtook me at speed going down the hill.

I did see a Police camera van yesterday by the Cayley embankment but the traffic was going very slow there anyway so I don't think that it was either a deterrent  or a money making activity

Offline Hugo

« Reply #877 on: August 17, 2018, 02:48:35 pm »
Five week upgrade works  to begin on the A55 in September     

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45221306

Offline Hugo

« Reply #878 on: August 17, 2018, 10:22:42 pm »
A470 closed between Tal Y Cafn and Maenan due to car crash

A470 crash shuts road - latest updates - https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a470-crash-shuts-road-latest-15044615?utm_source=sharebar

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #879 on: August 18, 2018, 11:13:10 pm »
A470 closed between Tal Y Cafn and Maenan due to car crash

A470 crash shuts road - latest updates - https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a470-crash-shuts-road-latest-15044615?utm_source=sharebar

I was working in Llanrwst last night & was warned about the road closure so set off on the back road about 9:40pm. The traffic came to a stand at the bridge at the far side of Dolgarrog (Newborough Bridge?), someone had crashed into the bridge closing the back road. I eventually worked my way back to Llanrwst & set off over the tops trying to get to Old Colwyn. There was an accident up there too! A Transit minibus in a ditch! Luckily I was allowed to pass the scene of this incident but it was gone 11 o’clock before I finally arrived at my house. Nightmare!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #880 on: August 19, 2018, 12:02:07 am »
It certainly wasn't your lucky day yesterday SDQ.            At least you arrived safe and sound even if it was a bit late

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #881 on: August 20, 2018, 05:07:59 pm »
I saw a vintage Crossville coach this afternoon, on Gloddaeth St. is this unusual ?   I searched Google for an image of the bus, and found the photo below, and I was surprised by the destinations shown, has it been here all the time, or making a return visit ?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #882 on: August 23, 2018, 02:29:15 pm »
I've set it up, Steve. I'll move your post into it.

Offline DVT

« Reply #883 on: August 27, 2018, 11:28:45 am »
Seems some people cannot read the signs - went for a casual drive round the Orme on Saturday and met this large van, then a little bit further along two cyclists who had just ridden over the No Entry painted on the road - I did tell them it was one-way to which the male cyclist replied tersely "we know" - in that case, for your own safety, turn round then!

Interestingly the van, reg'n MFZ 2528, tax ran out in March 2018, although it does have MoT until November !!!  Appears to be some sort of contractor as it has orange lights on top, but no sign-writing.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #884 on: August 27, 2018, 12:08:10 pm »
It seems to be a pattern with these type of drivers, if they break one law then they are just as likely to drive without road tax or a valid MOT.     
It should be reported to the DVLA  but they would already know about it because it was flagged up on their computer system immediately the tax expired and their record for collecting tax arrears is abysmal

It's a shame that the long arm of the law is not looking at the forum as they would be able to follow this up