Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358334 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #825 on: June 02, 2018, 10:40:43 pm »
This is the reality --- more bikers killed in N Wales in 2018 than in the whole of 2017

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44337682

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #826 on: June 03, 2018, 09:13:59 am »
And these are not young tearaways, either; they're older and more mature than you might expect. But this year's toll is bad; as an ex-biker I wouldn't want to ride on most N Wales roads now as during the next few months they'll be very crowded with people spending more time on watching the scenery than the road.

But on two wheels you're very vulnerable. We were driving the A5 on the Nant Ffrancon some years ago when a biker passed us - not at a huge speed - but then they just seemed to lose control and fall off.  I've also seen a biker lose a foot when an older car with sticking-out bumpers collided with him, another crashing after a car pulled out without a signal or without - apparently - seeing him, another who braked suddenly and lost control - the list goes on.

I'm guessing one problem is the acceleration some of the big bikes can muster; it's so great if the road surface isn't almost perfect the rear wheel can try to overtake the front wheel, with predictable results. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #827 on: June 03, 2018, 07:26:35 pm »
Somebody has caused Abergele Road between the Marine Roundabout and Eirias Park Gates to be closed. They have driven into the bus shelter by Hesketh Road going towards the Bay. Somebody was standing in the shelter but nothing further known.....Oh by the way they did not stop!

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #828 on: June 03, 2018, 07:44:01 pm »
And another.....while I  was hanging on to the excitable spaniel!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #829 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:05 pm »
There was a crash on the A470 by the Ty Gwyn Hotel in Betws Y Coed and a coach and car were involved but thankfully it has been reported that there were no serious injuries to anyone.
We were held up there for a while and there was a large Police presence and two fire engines but we couldn't see any ambulance on the scene.

There was a report of another accident on the A5 near Pentrefoelas and one person has been lifted by air ambulance to Stoke Hospital.

Another crash was reorted on the A55 by Abergele but the details are not known

Offline Hugo

« Reply #830 on: June 06, 2018, 07:41:58 pm »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #831 on: June 08, 2018, 01:20:38 pm »

Offline Dave

« Reply #832 on: June 19, 2018, 11:10:36 am »
We all have our own opinions on how we should drive but no one can dispute that what we witnessed this morning was verging on reckless. Leaving Champney's we stopped short of the Links roundabout to allow a pedestrian to cross. He was almost about to step in to the outside lane when a transit style van coming up behind us decided to overtake us ( he could easily see  over the top of our small car) then veer over to the inside lane of the roundabout to make a left turn. Why? Luckily the pedestrian hadn't quite stepped in to his path but would have anticipated he'd stop too as he was in the same lane as us.
So if you see a chocolate brown 65 reg Transit van with no signage on it watch out , the driver is a total idiot.

Offline DVT

« Reply #833 on: June 19, 2018, 01:14:25 pm »
Abergele straits A547 closures you need to know about
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a547-abergele-straits-closures-you-14759567

I know it's from the Daily Post so you cannot expect too much accuracy, but surely it should be Abergele Straights ... definition of straits is a narrow waterway connecting two large bodies of water (e.g. Menai Straits, Straits of Bosphorus).  Or is there a large body of water in Abergele and Rhuddlan?  Or am I just being too pedantic?

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #834 on: June 19, 2018, 02:19:10 pm »
Or am I just being too pedantic?

Depends on context doesn't is? I don't think you'd pick up a fellow forum poster up for that sort of thing (unless perhaps the result was amusing). But you would expect a newspaper to get it right.

At least that was my initial response but  I notice the BBC also can use "Strait", eg at. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-44515089 so, maybe I'm wrong.

A stretch of road (actually one to be careful on despite its straightness) much closer to me now most definitely is a 'Straight' . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acle_Straight

Offline Hugo

« Reply #835 on: June 19, 2018, 03:23:38 pm »
We all have our own opinions on how we should drive but no one can dispute that what we witnessed this morning was verging on reckless. Leaving Champney's we stopped short of the Links roundabout to allow a pedestrian to cross. He was almost about to step in to the outside lane when a transit style van coming up behind us decided to overtake us ( he could easily see  over the top of our small car) then veer over to the inside lane of the roundabout to make a left turn. Why? Luckily the pedestrian hadn't quite stepped in to his path but would have anticipated he'd stop too as he was in the same lane as us.
So if you see a chocolate brown 65 reg Transit van with no signage on it watch out , the driver is a total idiot.

Dave, I take it that you don't have a dash cam in your car because incidents like that should be reported to the Police.   The Police are actively seeking help from the public and will act on dash cam evidence.

Offline Dave

« Reply #836 on: June 19, 2018, 10:27:23 pm »
Regrettably not Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #837 on: June 19, 2018, 10:35:22 pm »
That's a shame Dave, I have one on one of my cars and I'm thinking of getting one on the other because of nutters on the road like the one you encountered.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #838 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:38 am »
Leaving Llandudno Junction this morning and entering the A55 intersection roundabout I was in the RH lane, as I was going across to the A470 / Betwys turn off. On my left was a black car that simply swung across from the LH lane into the RH lane (such as it is) and didn't even seem to notice me. I had to slam on  avoid a collision but it's not the first time we've encountered people who can't read the road, signal or even see. It still astonishes me when anyone tries to defend that sort of dangerous and thoughtless driving.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #839 on: June 20, 2018, 12:25:31 pm »
You can't defend bad driving like that and it's no use trying to fob it off by saying that they probably don't know the area or the road signs are in the wrong place.
Bad driving is what it is, bad driving. It's dangerous and can be lethal and unfortunately seems to be getting worse