Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358330 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #720 on: November 12, 2017, 08:53:11 am »
Did you mean Speke Boulevard Ian? If so then no it hasn't been upgraded. It still  has as many potholes and ruts as ever on the side into town but was I think was resurfaced in parts going outwards towards the bridge.

With regard to sending out fines it would I think have been better had they been able to carry out a process of sending out warnings for the first non payment per car and details of how to pay and avoid fines thereafter.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #721 on: November 12, 2017, 09:08:35 am »
Thanks, ME. Yes - I suspected it might still be a tad ropey, but at least you can use the new link section from the Otterspool turn off to the docks and central Liverpool.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #722 on: November 12, 2017, 10:55:07 am »
What hundreds of furious Daily Post readers had to say about new Mersey toll bridge.

Almost 500 readers have commented on the issue, and most were critical of the Mersey Gatway.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-hundreds-furious-daily-post-13889786

One of the comments.....
Okay so they have a toll on the new bridge and have done away with the toll booths very similar to over here in California they did away with the toll booths crossing on the Golden Gate bridge, so now if you don't have a pass you have 48 hours to go on line and pay but and here is he big difference they will then mail you the bill in the mail I think you have 14 days to pay then it goes up so at least the motorist has a chance to pay if caught unaware and didn't know you have to go on line to pay, but to have only one full day and the part of the day you cross to pay is terrible why can't they give you 48 hours and then mail the bill and you have time to pay, what happens if you cross this bridge on your way out of the country and have no access to pay on line then I guess it is an automatic fine...

This is your typical revenue generator and the hopes you don't pay so they can fine the motorist once again the general public are the losers... 

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #723 on: November 13, 2017, 05:44:09 pm »
1,712,934 vehicles crossing since the opening last month that still means around 50,000 drivers have been hit with fines.            (50,000 X  20 pounds not a bad profit so far)

spokesperson for Merseyflow said: "The new Mersey Gateway Bridge has been really popular. We’re approaching two million vehicles using the bridge in total and averaging over 70,000 vehicles every weekday, which is over and above what we expected.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/mersey-toll-bridge-operator-responds-13896540

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #724 on: November 13, 2017, 07:37:16 pm »
Anyone know what caused the long hold-ups on the Deganwy-Conwy road at around 1730 today? Lots of flashing blue lights.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #725 on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:44 pm »
Liked the bit in your DP reports, Steve:

"A spokesperson for Merseyflow said: "The new Mersey Gateway Bridge has been really popular. We’re approaching two million vehicles using the bridge in total and averaging over 70,000 vehicles every weekday, which is over and above what we expected. "

Well, it's not as if they had anything to go on like - for instance - a previous bridge.  Oh, wait...

Z@@

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #727 on: November 14, 2017, 06:38:05 am »
That could be it, Hugo . Thanks.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #729 on: November 15, 2017, 06:39:41 pm »
I read an article in the Daily Mirror on Monday and it was headlined  1 in 4 cars have out of date MOT's.      I think that it must be caused by recent changes in the law relating to Road tax for vehicles.
When a car is sold the existing road tax stops and the car's new owner then has to road tax the vehicle from the time they purchased it.
Consequently there will be an overlap of time between the dates of expiry of the MOT and the road tax.

That's no excuse though for not having a MOT but with the abolition of road tax discs then something like this was inevitable.

Offline DVT

« Reply #730 on: November 15, 2017, 07:20:21 pm »
I suspect one reason could be that you don't get a reminder that your MoT is about to expire.  This is something that perhaps the MoT stations could address by sending reminders and therefore getting the business.

Even though you no longer get a tax disc you do still get the reminder to cough up.  That would be the time that the system would flag up "No MoT" when the Post Office scans the form.  Not sure whether you get a reminder if you renew online.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #731 on: November 15, 2017, 08:12:55 pm »
By coincidence, I only signed up for MOT reminders yesterday.

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

Offline Hugo

« Reply #732 on: November 15, 2017, 10:30:45 pm »
The system still flags up MOT's and Road tax that have expired.     With road tax that has expired the DVLA will issue another reminder for the road tax and if the default continues then they say that they will then issue a notice for the car to be clamped.     Unfortunately they do no always do what they say they will do.

The DVLA has no power to deal with expired MOT'S,  that is a Police matter and the Police don't appear to be in a rush to do anything about expired MOT's either

Offline Hugo

« Reply #733 on: November 17, 2017, 08:56:23 am »
Number of untaxed vehicles in UK trebles after tax disc abolition,   I've noticed one local vehicle with no tax or Mot and the mileage has been clocked too so they have got a hat trick
Will the Police catch up with the driver?      &shake& 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiY166InsXXAhUB5xoKHfrBDOYQqOcBCCYwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fmoney%2F2017%2Fnov%2F16%2Funtaxed-vehicles-uk-trebles-tax-disc-abolition-vehicle-excise-duty-dvla&usg=AOvVaw2rjI3S_U6R8PXlKYyWklo5

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #734 on: November 17, 2017, 05:29:37 pm »
It was obvious  to everyone except the government that that would happen,  such a daft idea to change things!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas