Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 367805 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #690 on: October 22, 2017, 05:19:29 pm »
I'm too much of a gentleman to do that so I left it to the Parking Warden.     ;D

Offline Dave

« Reply #691 on: October 22, 2017, 06:24:28 pm »
Another example of a half empty car park though Hugo. It shouldn't happen but it probably hasn't deprived anyone of a parking space.
If you really want to make a play for the warden's job take a look at some of the dangerous parking that's around. Start with Dunphy's Corner in Craig-y-Don where you can almost guarantee someone is parked on double yellow lines obscuring the view for any cars trying to cross the road there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #692 on: October 22, 2017, 06:35:07 pm »
Dave,  it doesn't matter whether the car park was half empty or not.    All the others parked properly so why couldn't that woman park properly?
Laziness is not an excuse and I'm sure that she would have been the first to complain if a traffic warden issued her with a ticket.

You're right about the dangerous parking though and that should be stopped.   If the Traffic Wardens don't operate in Craig Y Don then they should start doing so.   Have a word with them if you see them there.

Offline Dave

« Reply #693 on: October 22, 2017, 08:00:17 pm »
Dave,  it doesn't matter whether the car park was half empty or not.    All the others parked properly so why couldn't that woman park properly?
Laziness is not an excuse and I'm sure that she would have been the first to complain if a traffic warden issued her with a ticket.

You're right about the dangerous parking though and that should be stopped.   If the Traffic Wardens don't operate in Craig Y Don then they should start doing so.   Have a word with them if you see them there.

There are CCTV cameras overlooking those crossroads but I have doubts as too whether they actually record anything. You do see traffic wardens but once in a Blue Moon, it's free parking in C-Y-D so less chance of finding someone overstaying or not having a ticket.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #694 on: October 22, 2017, 10:20:08 pm »
It seems to be a money making racket then Dave as Craig Y Don residents pay rates just like those in Llandudno so they should be entitled to the same services.
If it's an ongoing problem then there must be someone who can be approached to sort it out.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: October 23, 2017, 08:01:25 am »
In the case of the Range Rover, I suspect one problem is that most people can't reverse into spaces, so she probably drove in forwards. You can enjoy hours of free entertainment in any car park and on any street watching drivers attempting to reverse. It's almost tragic in its scale, but the obvious  question is why don't they ever practice? 

I suspect that's one of the major issues around driving;  people pass their test - some rather a long time ago - and then never, ever practice any manoeuvres for the remainder of their life.  Good driving takes experience, practice and concentration. Every drive is a test, in a sense, but too many drivers don't view it like that. We;ve given up counting the numbers we see texting, turning to speak to a passenger, using their hands during a conversation to make a point, drinking, eating and lighting a cigarette - all while driving at high speeds, in some cases.

On another forum an otherwise very bright individual has started a topic asking who has priority at roundabouts. He's been driving since he was 17, and he's 55, now, so I was rather taken aback. Dealing with the question, however, did throw up some interesting points about roundabouts in general and mini roundabouts in particular. It's not helped by the Road Markings Manual - a massive, 150 page pdf which details exactly how and what types of give way lines ar used at roundabouts.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #696 on: October 23, 2017, 09:13:13 am »
In the case of the Range Rover, I suspect one problem is that most people can't reverse into spaces, so she probably drove in forwards. You can enjoy hours of free entertainment in any car park and on any street watching drivers attempting to reverse. It's almost tragic in its scale, but the obvious  question is why don't they ever practice? 

You are spot on Ian.   The other day I was driving along a single track winding rural lane when I met another car coming the other way.   As I was driving, I had noted a passing place behind me about 100 yards away around a bend in the lane but saw that there was a wide passing place just two car lengths behind the female driver so I beckoned her to reverse to it.
What a farce, she went backwards then forwards about a dozen times before she made the ten yards to the wide passing point and even then parked in the middle of the road so there was no room for me to pass.
Logic doesn't even seem to come into it either and I had to tell her to go forward into a driveway so that I could get past.      :rage:

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #697 on: October 23, 2017, 03:15:44 pm »
We see this reversing problem on Conwy High Street every day, traffic backs up all around the town whist some idiot takes dozens of attempts reverse and park between two parked cars, I have called and suggested they should GIVE UP AND DRIVE ON ! to the carpark would be a better idea.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #698 on: October 23, 2017, 05:02:52 pm »
   I was driving down the Conwy Valley near Tyn y Groes this morning. The sun was shining towards us and at the top of a brow there were two cyclists riding side by side directly in front of me. The one near the centre of the road was on wearing a dark lycra? outfit. I did see them in good time fortunately but thought I would check on the current rules and it seems they are allowed to ride side by side where it is safe. I would strongly suggest they wear something bright even in the daytime . Just in case I have cut and pasted the guidance below,.
   Personally if I was on a bike (most unlikely I know) given the amount of traffic, even on quiet roads I should stay as close to the kerb as possible.
   I'm always extremely cautious when their are cyclists, horses,children etc on the road, but sometimes I think some Cyclists do take risks that I wouldn't. They seemed to be too busy talking too each other and unaware of what could happen.

However, Rule 66 of the Highway Code says you should never ride more than two abreast. It also says you should ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends. Cyclists need to factor in the road conditions and should go into single file when necessary.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #699 on: October 24, 2017, 08:27:58 am »
At 07:55 at the recent hole in the wall below Premier Inn Criagside, a white Fiat 500 the wrong way round facing up the hill with front end damage. Police in attendance. Damp on the road but another car in the same place in a short space of time.....any thoughts?

Offline DVT

« Reply #700 on: October 24, 2017, 09:18:14 am »
Last Saturday (21st) just before mid-day a Renault Clio hit the telegraph pole near the hole in the wall, brought down the telephone wire.  My son works in the Brewers Fayre and told me that was the fourth in about a week!  The FIAT makes it (at least) five so it does suggest an issue with the  the road.

Offline Dave

« Reply #701 on: October 24, 2017, 10:27:12 am »
It seems to be a money making racket then Dave as Craig Y Don residents pay rates just like those in Llandudno so they should be entitled to the same services.
If it's an ongoing problem then there must be someone who can be approached to sort it out.

Maybe someone reads this forum that can influence decision making! The parking warden was out and about C-Y-D around 10.am and booked one car parked on the zig zags before the Pelican Crossing, however, the one on the other side got let off as it had a Blue Badge displayed.  Both cars obscure a clear vision of the crossing for oncoming  drivers and to me it seems wrong that a Blue Badge allows parking in dangerous places.
Mind you if he had arrived at 9.25 he would have found three large vans all parked in even worse place on the double yellows making exiting Queens Rd particularly difficult as you had to drive on the wrong side of the road at the junction then had your vision to the right totally obscured too.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #702 on: October 24, 2017, 11:27:45 am »

A Blue Badge DOES NOT allow parking in dangerous places, https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/rights-and-responsibilities-blue-badge-holders

It is an abuse of the Blue Badge system to do so and the Blue Badge can facility can be rescinded if abused, however, the issuing authorities are highly reluctant to revoke them, even for repeated reported abuse. In this case, a fixed penalty notice should have been issued to BOTH vehicles.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #703 on: October 24, 2017, 12:30:39 pm »
According to the NWWN last week, signs are there warning of an adverse camber on the road so there must be some problem there.
There is also a speed limit on that stretch too so I find it hard to understand how someone can cross a lane, mount the kerb and then stop when they have hit the wall.   I would have thought that if someone did the emergency stop procedure then the collision with the wall could have been avoided.
Personally,  I've driven down the road thousands of times and never realised that there was a problem with that section of the road until damage to the wall started to happen

Offline Dave

« Reply #704 on: October 24, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »
According to the NWWN last week, signs are there warning of an adverse camber on the road so there must be some problem there.
There is also a speed limit on that stretch too so I find it hard to understand how someone can cross a lane, mount the kerb and then stop when they have hit the wall.   I would have thought that if someone did the emergency stop procedure then the collision with the wall could have been avoided.
Personally,  I've driven down the road thousands of times and never realised that there was a problem with that section of the road until damage to the wall started to happen

You, me and tens of thousands of others too Hugo.