Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 366532 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #675 on: October 16, 2017, 02:11:34 pm »
Bit of both, I'd imagine.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #676 on: October 16, 2017, 02:14:46 pm »
They were my thoughts too Ian.     I wonder if it'll make the Daily Post list of bad parkers for October?

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #677 on: October 16, 2017, 02:28:35 pm »
We are assuming there wasn't a motorbike parked before you arrived

Offline Hugo

« Reply #678 on: October 16, 2017, 03:36:00 pm »
Do you mean on both  sides of this bad parker?       &shake&

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #679 on: October 16, 2017, 06:43:25 pm »
All those leaves over the lines in the dark is my take on it and then we have had a bit of wind since........ that blew them away against the fence ;D.......unless my learned friend can prove otherwise?

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #680 on: October 16, 2017, 10:31:48 pm »
a friend of my wife parks like that regular to stop her car getting scratched by folk opening their doors and marking her car again. She has paid out over £300 in the last two years to repair the same. I don't agree with it but she will still keep on doing it

Offline Hugo

« Reply #681 on: October 16, 2017, 10:35:07 pm »
That would be no excuse in the eyes of the law, but unenforceable in the Afon Conwy.     Any responsible motorist would have checked that they had parked correctly before going into the building anyway.
One thing that I'll give them credit for though is that their road tax and MOT are up to date

Offline Hugo

« Reply #682 on: October 18, 2017, 02:40:58 pm »
Multi vehicle pile up on the A55 in Mochdre causes delays

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-41665146

Offline Hugo

« Reply #683 on: October 18, 2017, 02:50:16 pm »
a friend of my wife parks like that regular to stop her car getting scratched by folk opening their doors and marking her car again. She has paid out over £300 in the last two years to repair the same. I don't agree with it but she will still keep on doing it

I can understand why your wife's friend is doing that, after experiencing one incident myself in Morrison's car park.  The damage caused by the woman driver to my car was estimated at between £300.00 and £500.00.   The woman then drove off without leaving her details.
That's not an excuse for selfish parking though, just imagine if everyone took two parking spaces.   The car parks would soon be full up.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #684 on: October 18, 2017, 04:05:28 pm »
It's interesting, not least because UK parking spaces are far too narrow.  I suppose if we follow your logic, Hugo, then in a capitalist society it would be up to the businesses concerned to make provision for extra car parking.  Perhaps if everyone took one and a half spaces and trade correspondingly declined then the businesses might react and start making larger spaces. And damage in car parks happens a great deal.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #685 on: October 18, 2017, 04:26:17 pm »
I'm not suggesting that we do take up two car spaces when we park Ian.  Car parks have allocated spaces for parking and that is why they have lines so that you can park between them.

The answer is simple, if you can't park properly or you are afraid of getting your car damaged then park elsewhere.     

I do agree with you though, that the allocated parking spaces are far too narrow and I've quoted Morrison's as a fine example of that.   In addition to the narrow spaces between the lines you are also faced with all those concrete supporting columns that they have on the bottom level.

Shops would be reluctant to make the spaces wider as they only have a limited allocation of space for parking and therefore they would have less customers.   Less customers means less profits for them so we should just be more careful when parking and getting in and out of the cars too

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #686 on: October 18, 2017, 04:38:08 pm »
Yes, I know, but my argument is on the lines that if their custom starts to drop off, perhaps it might prove an incentive to change the parking situation for the better.  It's not that hard to do, curiously;  I would reckon they could all afford to lose one space at the end of each line and widen the remaining spaces commensurately. After all, they did it for the mother and child spaces.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #687 on: October 19, 2017, 07:23:58 pm »
If the doors on your car are quite wide,  and you are a little rotund, you get back to your car and find you cannot open the door wide enough to get in, and my days of climbing in from the passenger side  are over.  :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #688 on: October 22, 2017, 04:14:35 pm »
If the doors on your car are quite wide,  and you are a little rotund, you get back to your car and find you cannot open the door wide enough to get in, and my days of climbing in from the passenger side  are over.  :(

No problem of getting back into the car here and fair play she has parked between the lines, but does she have to buy one ticket or two?   ???

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #689 on: October 22, 2017, 05:08:05 pm »
Fair play Hugo I'll give you that one, did you explain to her the error off her way  .