Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358661 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #555 on: March 28, 2017, 07:52:58 pm »
I had the misfortune to be stuck in the westbound lane of the A55 today just past Llanddulas but it was nothing like the delay on Sunday.   My friend was travelling from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay and it took him 1hr  25 mins to do the journey on Sunday.   Unfortunately he didn't take the route past Geordies to the Crem but he'll know for next time.
Why did they pick Mothering Sunday to do it?    The manager of the Mulberry in Conwy was on the TV and they lost thousands of pounds in bookings.    People coming to the place were stuck in traffic as were a number of the staff and it was a fiasco that could have been avoided

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #556 on: March 29, 2017, 07:27:32 am »
It's all to do with thoughtlessness, incompetence and stupidity - qualities that seem to abound in anything to do with roads. Not terribly different in fact, from one day a few years back, when CCBC (?) decided to cut the grass on the Black Cat roundabout. Nothing wrong with that in principle, except they decided to start the job, which entailed closing a lane,  at 0800 on a Wednesday. The tailbacks are still the stuff of legend. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #557 on: March 29, 2017, 06:37:45 pm »
No more roadworks on the A55 after Easter!          &shake&

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/a55-roadworks-banned-easter-autumn-12805758

Offline Hugo

« Reply #558 on: March 30, 2017, 07:23:26 pm »
I had to go into Colwyn Bay at about 4.15 pm today and it was a nightmare.   The traffic was nose to tail all along Conwy Road and Abergele Road and barely moving.      It must be a nightmare there at the moment especially at times of  the school run

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #559 on: March 31, 2017, 09:24:33 am »
OMG I have people coming today, I have warned them about the hold ups, but most folk from away seem to think that we are making too much of it ! I shall boil the kettle and cut the lemon cake about midnight ! :-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #560 on: March 31, 2017, 10:50:35 am »
Traffic flowing as normal through the Conwy tunnels this morning. A little work still on the slip roads at jnt 18

Offline Hugo

« Reply #561 on: March 31, 2017, 02:22:13 pm »
Sooner or later car manufacturers will have dash cameras as an additional option when they buy new cars.    This morning I was driving down my road doing about 20 mph when a dark coloured Audi estate car crossed over a give way  T junction and had to do a very quick emergency stop to avoid crashing into me.
If the road conditions were wet or icy even and if I had of been driving faster then a collision would have been inevitable.    When I looked at the replay on my dash camera it was pretty scary but at least I had the evidence on camera.
At that same spot in 2006 I had another car written off when an uninsured driver did the same thing but wasn't able to stop in time.
If a crash happens again then I'll just call the Police

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #562 on: March 31, 2017, 03:08:21 pm »
send it to the police or council maybe that junction needs a stop sign instead of give way.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #563 on: March 31, 2017, 06:33:49 pm »
Thanks Steve, I'll have a think about that.    I have in the past complained about it and had the CCBC  official and local Councillor there in the past but the CCBC official was adamant that a stop sign was not needed even though there are near misses on it every single day.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #564 on: March 31, 2017, 06:53:49 pm »
A55 roadworks at Conwy tunnel finish on time but Old Colwyn misery to continue until next week.

“We recently suffered a significant partial failure of a bridge joint just west of Llanddulas. We have had to put together an emergency package of works to minimise the impact on the A55 should that joint fail completely,” said Mr Skates, “we are installing a full central reserve crossover at Rainbow Bridge”.
Headded: “The crossover works, which are being carried out to a really challenging programme by local contractors, will be complete by Wednesday April 5 at the latest. The works cannot be removed at the weekend because it is just too unsafe to leave a gap of over 200 metres in the central reserve.”

Mr Skates went on to warn people that there will be delays on the road over the weekend,“as the works will continue over the forthcoming weekend we are extending messages across the border to warn motorists to allow extra time for their journeys.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a55-roadworks-conwy-tunnel-finish-12828654

Offline Hugo

« Reply #565 on: April 02, 2017, 11:09:32 pm »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #566 on: April 03, 2017, 07:14:22 am »
A Ken Skates said "The works cannot be removed at the weekend because it is too unsafe to leave a gap of over 200 metres in the central reserve.".

I'm not entirely clear on this: I presume by that he means there would be no barrier between reservations? But that's exactly how dual carriageways used to be. I can still remember the arguments when safety campaigners were calling for them to be fitted for all dual carriageways and the same officials saying it would be too costly.

It's a matter of risk: we need to know how many vehicles have crashed into the safety barrier in that 200m stretch over the last five years (I'm guessing very few). Place a 40mph temporary limit on the stretch and I would seriously doubt there would be an issue. And when 60mph  roads everywhere don't even have a barrier, what on Earth is stopping them taking a pragmatic approach?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #567 on: April 03, 2017, 09:15:23 am »
Ian, I thought exactly the same! Perhaps there is a law that prevents it?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #568 on: April 03, 2017, 11:06:47 am »
In the WA and Scottish Highway regulations manual it says this:

"2.1 There are many definitions of hazard and risk; for the purpose of this Standard, the following definitions shall be used.

HAZARD: A hazard is a feature (e.g. embankment) or object (e.g. lighting column) that can cause harm or loss. Harm or loss can be physical, financial or economic, strategic, or be time-based, or any combination of these.
RISK: A risk is the chance, high or low, that somebody or something will be harmed by the hazard.

2.2 In general terms, in this Road Restraint Systems (RRS) Standard, risk can further be described as the likelihood of the hazard being reached or hit by an errant vehicle (chance) multiplied by the resulting consequence if the hazard is reached or hit (harm). The hazard may be within or beyond the highway boundary. A risk may also occur if a hazard that is hit by an errant vehicle falls, or becomes detached and forms a projectile, and causes an injury to Others or causes further damage. The consequence may, for example, be: injury to an occupant of the errant vehicle; temporary loss of a strategic installation; adverse affect on Others; etc."

Clear as mud, as you'd imagine.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #569 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »