Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358080 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #540 on: March 09, 2017, 09:39:20 am »
There was a collision yesterday between a child cyclist and a minibus on the road between Trefriw and Crafnant. The child had to be airlifted to Liverpool.
As much as I love walking around Crafnant, I hate that road up to it. You can almost guarantee you will meet a car or van at one of the narrow bits, inevitably someone who cant reverse properly...

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #541 on: March 09, 2017, 11:29:35 am »
We have for years given people printed instructions on how to visit the Welsh Lakes. In large red letters on each sheet are the words
IF YOU ARE NOT A CONFIDENT DRIVER, OR CANNOT REVERSE FOR 100 YARDS, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THESE ROADS.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #542 on: March 09, 2017, 11:41:55 am »
We have for years given people printed instructions on how to visit the Welsh Lakes. In large red letters on each sheet are the words
IF YOU ARE NOT A CONFIDENT DRIVER, OR CANNOT REVERSE FOR 100 YARDS, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THESE ROADS.

That would make a good road sign Nem.  $good$
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:34:27 pm by Ian »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #543 on: March 09, 2017, 02:38:13 pm »
Good idea Steve H.

You would be amazed at how our Welsh roads frighten some people. Especially those from the flatter areas of Gt. Britain.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #544 on: March 18, 2017, 09:02:49 am »
Traffic jam hotspots in Llandudno will be tackled amid fears that the arrival of Primark and Wilco will spark gridlock.

The peak time problems around the Parc Llandudno and Mostyn Champneys retail parks cause congestion on one of the key entrance and exit roads to Llandudno.

A spokeswoman for Conwy council said: “We will be carrying out a number of improvements to traffic management in Llandudno this year,
    Removal of signal control from Charlotte Road onto Conway Road, with new zebra crossing.

■ Changes to Parc Llandudno/Asda junction including rephasing of lights, to increase junction capacity.

■ Improvements to Charlotte Road/Mostyn Broadway junction to improve visibility and provide defined left and right turn lanes.

“We are also working on longer term improvements to the Mostyn Street/Vaughan Street junction at North Western Gardens (subject to funding).”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/llandudnos-primark-traffic-gridlock-fears-12754930

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #545 on: March 18, 2017, 10:21:17 am »
Gareth Owen has been banging his head about this for a few years now ,doing away with the traffic light and putting a zebra crossing wow it's death trying to cross that road as it is ,going to be very interesting.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: March 19, 2017, 03:41:39 pm »
Ed Hillier, MD Mostyn's, has been telling CCBC to solve the problem, which 'he believes can be done simply and quickly'. He's been telling them for five years, and I know similar comments have been made on here for at least four years. CCBC really do excel in the utter incompetence department.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #547 on: March 19, 2017, 04:02:59 pm »
If my memory serves me right local people were telling CCBC about the problems that would arise  long before it was set out and I've a feeling that Mostyn Estates were in favour of it at the time, possibly because they had a lot to gain from the lay out.

It's strange how people change their mind when it suits them as a few years ago Mr Hillier was suggesting a tram line from the Railway Station along Mostyn Broadway to Bodafon Fields.    $hands$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #548 on: March 19, 2017, 04:23:30 pm »
Me and Mrs R regularly walk into Llandudno from the Links roundabout on the McDonalds side of the road.

Whilst I appreciate the current traffic light problems, we actually rely on the lights because when they change to red for the cars exiting Mostyn Champneys, we are able to cross safely (providing all cars immediately stop when the lights begin to change).

It is unclear if the new pedestrian crossing will be across Charlotte Road or across Conway Road towards Staples.

When one walks across the entrance to Mostyn Champneys, one cannot always see over the McDonalds hedge and Charlotte Road bends from the traffic lights back up towards that mini roundabout.

I also use the gym above the swimming pool and it surprising to witness how dangerous it can be watching pedestrians crossing from the rear of Currys over to the bus stop on Mostyn Broadway.

The existing pedestrian crossing further down outside the swimming pool is not entirely safe and is another issue that requires addressing.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #549 on: March 19, 2017, 06:46:55 pm »
I do think trams would be a great asset to the area, Hugo.  It's the novelty factor.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

Re: Road conditions in the area......... 13 mile traffic jam A55
« Reply #550 on: March 26, 2017, 06:28:05 pm »
I hope you are all sitting comfortably at home........

Live: A55 drivers trapped in 13-MILE traffic jam amid roadworks chaos

Huge queues have formed from J16 Dwygyfylchi to J23 Llanddulas

Avoid the area if you can, says police officer
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-a55-drivers-trapped-13-12800176

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #551 on: March 26, 2017, 06:41:41 pm »
We drove up the A470 around 4. 30 pm and the traffic was solid stretching back from Black Cat almost to St David's. The A 55 was at a standstill.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #552 on: March 28, 2017, 03:41:30 pm »
Wonder if the CCBC councillor describing the WA's highways departmental planning as 'incompetent' was a case of the kettle calling the Sosban Fach?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #553 on: March 28, 2017, 04:23:26 pm »
I experienced the delays first hand yesterday, returning from Manchester airport , very frustrating, even taking the detour round Abergele, it added an hour to the journey.

Heres another story from Tom D.
A55 traffic queues for miles as 'ridiculous' Welsh Government carries out rush hour census
Motorists were left furious as the census caused severe delays on the eastbound carriageway around the Britannia Bridge.

Comments below article...
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a55-traffic-queues-miles-ridiculous-12806781

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #554 on: March 28, 2017, 04:32:31 pm »
Why didn't they do the census with the traffic already held up in the Colwyn Bay roadworks queues? I bet they received some very interesting answers to their census!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas