Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358543 times)

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
Re: The latest road tragedy
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2010, 09:40:26 am »
Drink Driving might be a terrible thing ... BUT, there is nothing worse than having a crash when you are sober !!
Just what point are trying to make there?

"Drink driving might be a terrible thing"......MIGHT?

Compare this to an accident when sober?
Please let me know what drugs you are being prescribed because that can't of statement is not made by someone compos mentis. If you are going to come on this forum and pass comment, at least do it sober.

Pendragon talks an awful lot of sense on this subject....
But Major Mellons would like to know what drugs I am on.
Well I can tell you, Originally it was Calpol,  then as the years went by I turned more to Junior Aspirin, (just loved that crumbly orangy feeling) ..
But now, I really more on Prozac to keep me awake on the Forum until these uhholy hours.., and WD40 for my creaking knees.

Whats your poison?

I confess I do have a parchant for Cider......on special occasions only, of course.

Offline zaskar

Road conditions in the area
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 05:27:34 pm »
Hiya guys, Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you're coping OK in these conditions cos the webs cams look like you've had it MUCH harder than us in Cheshire?

Could someone please help me with road conditions?
We had such a great time in your neck of the woods last Christmas that wifey and I are coming back again :D
Thing is, we have a VERY large American 5th wheel trailer that we pull with a pick up and I'm worried about being able to get to the campsite.

Our route will be........  A55 to Conwy, then B5106 through Gyffyn village to a small farm campsite just up the hill from the Groes Inn.
I'm worried about the hill out of Gyffyn village.

We're due to arrive on Friday late morning, conditions/safety allowing so if anyone in the know could use this post to keep me updated, I'd be extremely grateful.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:04:12 am by Ian »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Road conditions-B5106- Groes Inn
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 05:29:49 pm »
Have a look on the thread The Great British Weather Debate!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline zaskar

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »
Have a look on the thread The Great British Weather Debate!

Will do. Many thanks. Much appreciated. $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2010, 05:38:11 pm »
I'm worried about the hill out of Gyffyn village.
Welcome to the Forum.

My guess would be that it will be a tall order to get a trailer up there today, putting it mildly! But by Friday, hmmm. One of our members lives in that area - Stan, do you have any info? :)  

I wonder what the bottom road from Gyffin to Groes Inn is like (thinking of a way of avoiding Gyffin Hill)?

Offline zaskar

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2010, 05:47:06 pm »
Thanks Dave, much appreciated.  I'll keep checking back in here until we (hopefully!) leave on Friday. Just been looking at the latest traffic cams and FLIPPIN' 'ECK!!!!!.....you've had it bad!  Unless things improve substantially by Friday, I think I'll sack it! No way am I risking me or anyone else with a 4 tonne trailer on ice! Z@@

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2010, 05:50:17 pm »
Living in Gyffin, I can tell you that vehicles are going up and down the hill but the road width is reduced at present, and as someone who tows a c/van, I wouldn't attempt going up it or down with a c/van on the back in the present conditions. The road has been gritted and a snowplough has been along. The hill down to the Groes and up from there to your campsite could be a bit tricky too.

If you watch this thread, I will drive the stretch from Gyffin village to your campsite tomorrow morning and post my opinion on here afterwards.

Merry Christmas

PS Dave and I were obviously typing at the same time and things could be better by Friday morning if there is a good thaw but the forecast suggests it is going to remain cold and a rapid thaw is unlikely.

BTW  Do you know what the campsite conditions are like?

Offline zaskar

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2010, 05:55:40 pm »
Hi Bellringer.  Thanks VERY much indeed mate, wifey says "God bless him"  :D 
Been trying to ring the CL but getting no answer at the mo. I'll keep trying and I will keep an eye on this thread.
Going for my tea now! Starving! ;D

All the best

Z

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »
I was in Alsager yesterday visiting an elderly aunt. We set off from there just after 5pm arriving in Gyffin a little before 7pm. We started to see the odd snowflake on the south Chester by-pass and by Abergele/Colwyn Bay it was coming down quite nicely. I wouldn't have wanted to have arrived home much later and some of the pics posted on here today under different threads will indicate very clearly how much fell.

Offline zaskar

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2010, 09:36:16 am »
Hi Bellringer.

Hope I caught you in time here.  Just got through to the CL on the phone and they say "no chance"  :-[ Absolutely gutted cos I was so looking forward to it. It's a beautiful area.  :'(  Apparantly, the road up the valley is pretty good but the entrance to Eirianwas Farm is sheet ice and they dont think I'll get up the sloping drive into the campsite.
 Cette la Vie, as they say, better safe than sorry.

Many thanks to you, and everyone else on this thread for all your help and advise.
Have a wonderful and safe Christmas.
Best wishes
Paul & ffiona

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2010, 10:02:17 am »
Same to you folks, and let's hope you make it in the New Year :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2010, 10:46:20 am »
Sorry you are missing our wonderful scenery, but better to be safe.
Merry Christmas.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2010, 11:08:20 am »
  :'(  Apparantly, the road up the valley is pretty good but the entrance to Eirianwas Farm is sheet ice and they dont think I'll get up the sloping drive into the campsite.
 Cette la Vie, as they say, better safe than sorry.

Many thanks to you, and everyone else on this thread for all your help and advise.
Have a wonderful and safe Christmas.
Best wishes
Paul & ffiona

Only just logged in and seen your posting. I have been down to Tyn-y-Groes (needed some bales of hay for my wife's pet sheep), and as you have been told the B5106 is passable with care needed in places. Had a good look at the entrance to your CL and thought that would be the big problem. My advice would have been "don't attempt it".

Pity because the views from the CL are spectacular at any time but at the moment even more so.
Best wishes with your alternative Christmas.

Stan

Offline zaskar

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 11:19:43 am »
Thanks Stan, very much appreciated.  Never mind, as it happens, the Cheshire CL where we're based is very beautiful and there's a lovely little pub across the field so it'll still be a great Christmas.
Biggest loss is not being in the hills. Miss them terribly! Cheshire is lovelly, but my God it's flat! ;D

Merry Christmas! $wales $uk

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2010, 04:12:58 pm »
Latest News from Conwy CBC:

GrittingThe weather continues to be exceptionally severe and the winter maintenance crews have been working round the clock to keep the main network open.
At the start of the season we had 10,500 tonnes of salt in stock, we currently have 3,800 tonnes.   
Over the Christmas weekend, the winter maintenance teams will continue to treat primary routes and respond to requests from Emergency Services, Social Services and Animal Health (in relation to serious animal welfare matters).
The public are advised to note the conditions and take extra care.

Bin and Recycling CollectionsCrews are back on the road today (Thursday 23rd December), collecting refuse and recycling from all areas that have been safe to access, given the weather conditions. Unfortunately, many side roads, hills and inland areas are still inaccessible with our 18-tonne refuse and recycling vehicles.
We will reassess the travel conditions daily and every effort will be made to resume scheduled collections in areas that are clear of snow and ice. We will also be using additional resources to collect from areas that have been missed.
If you have been affected, please leave out your recycling containers and refuse bin for our crew to collect when practical to do so on Friday 24th December and from Monday 27th December onwards.
There will be no collections on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
We appreciate the inconvenience that this causes residents, and are grateful for your patience.
The recycling centres in Mochdre and Abergele are open to the public every day, apart from Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

Public Conveniences
All public conveniences are closed and will remain closed until further notice.

Council Office Opening HoursCouncil offices will close at 4pm on Friday 24 December and will re-open at 8.45am on Wednesday 29th December 2010.

Further information and advice is available on the website at www.conwy.gov.uk