Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 368596 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #435 on: August 12, 2016, 11:17:26 am »
The clue 'night shift' suggests that it is the car facing the wrong way that might be done, although he'd have to be within a certain distance of a junction.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #436 on: August 12, 2016, 11:48:02 am »
The clue 'night shift' suggests that it is the car facing the wrong way that might be done, although he'd have to be within a certain distance of a junction.

I'm going to give you this one Ian as you spotted it straight away with your first guess.

PC Plod comes along in the evening spots the double parking obstruction but also sees that the driver on the right is illegally parked

RULE  248
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.      (That's why your car's reflectors are at the rear of the vehicle)

He knows where the driver lives and calls at his house.    He explains why the car is illegally parked and politely asks him to remove it immediately and to park it so that it is not facing the flow of oncoming traffic and
also not double parked.   He also intends to speak to the other driver when he next sees him

Knowing the Highway Code but applying common sense is a win win situation for PC Plod who has no paperwork etc to waste his valuable time and the drivers have also been educated for the future.
That's how I know the small photo has been staged and also because it happened to my Father (not the double parking bit)  over 30 years ago.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2016, 11:11:55 pm »
Now that work on the Colwyn Bay promenade has started it was good to learn that cars will not be able to park under the bridges on the short section of Marine Road.
A number of cones have been placed under the bridge so this will help do reduce bottle necks of traffic on this narrow stretch of road

Offline Hugo

« Reply #438 on: August 15, 2016, 03:27:34 pm »
I wonder why CCBC  chose last week to start work on the short section of Promenade in Colwyn Bay.   Perhaps the time was dictated to them by the conditions stipulated in the funding for the project or maybe it's nothing other than stupidity on the part of CCBC.
Colwyn Bay was becoming a bottleneck for traffic around midday today, Mrs H was waiting to come out of the Vet's in Abergele Road and the traffic was nose to tail and it was ages before one considerate driver let her on to the road.
By Stermats traffic can be a problem anyway, but it wasn't helped by the woman driver in front of Mrs H.   The woman was passing a parked van and hit it taking the wing mirror ofF the van and in the process damaging her car badly.
The woman then reversed and tried to overtake the parked vehicle again and hit the van harder than before and making her car look like a half opened Sardine can.  In the meantime the traffic was piling up even more!
Anyway the busier Bank Holiday isn't far away so that's something to look forward to, I don't think.
What possessed CCBC to pick the busiest time of the year to start the work, surely they could have waited 3 more weeks?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #439 on: August 24, 2016, 02:58:09 pm »
Conwy tunnel closure chaos caused by 'major failure' and safety fears over ventilation shutdown.
The Conwy Tunnel was shut last night for over two hours following a “major failure” in the safety control systems.

The safety critical control systems at the A55 Conwy tunnel affects the tunnel’s ventilation system, lane signals, STOP gantry signage, and several monitoring and alarm systems inside the tunnel.

The Welsh Government are now investigating the incident which caused chaos on the A55 following the sudden closure of the tunnel in both directions just after 6pm.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-tunnel-closure-chaos-caused-11793225

'Unexplained' A55 delays are not acceptable
Traffic queues are an inevitable hassle on the A55 during the hectic summer season as the sheer volume of traffic combined with bumps and crashes brings the road to a halt.

It is never much fun being stuck in jams but there are a few factors that can make it even more frustrating.

Roadworks - especially when there doesn’t appear to be much happening behind the traffic cones - is one of those factors and the fact the A55 was built “on the cheap” means that it feels likes a continuous patching up job along the expressway.
One of those major projects has been on the Conwy Tunnels with millions of pounds invested in improving lighting and safety - causing delays to motorists on a regular basis earlier this year and back in 2013.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/unexplained-a55-delays-not-acceptable-11792068

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #440 on: August 27, 2016, 09:57:03 pm »
One of those delightful gentlemen from the Charedi community took the opportunity to crash into the back of my car on my way to work today.
A lovely start to the day, which went steadily downhill from then on.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #441 on: August 28, 2016, 08:58:04 am »
Sorry to hear that Fester, too many cars around this weekend and not enough space to park them .
Nasty smash at the top of Clement Ave yesterday afternoon. People driving too fast, a woman panicked and piled into a parked car. No one has yet returned to the parked car and found the damage which is quite extensive, but her Ford Ka looked to be a write off, the whole of the passenger side front was demolished. It was carted away on a truck. Feel sorry for the owners of the other car, don't think that they will be going far in it !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #442 on: August 28, 2016, 10:03:05 am »
One of those delightful gentlemen from the Charedi community took the opportunity to crash into the back of my car on my way to work today.
A lovely start to the day, which went steadily downhill from then on.

Unlucky with the car, considering they usually do not drive on the Sabbath ?.......  :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #443 on: August 28, 2016, 01:36:53 pm »
Do you know if anyone left a note on the other car Nemesis to give details of the accident?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #444 on: August 28, 2016, 02:05:12 pm »
Do you know if anyone left a note on the other car Nemesis to give details of the accident?

There were two pieces of paper under the wipers when I took the dog out last night around 11 pm. One looked to say Police at the top, but the whole set up was rather wet by then. I should imagine that it would be pulped by the later storm. The car had gone by late morning, but I'm almost certain that it would not have been drivable.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #445 on: August 28, 2016, 02:14:54 pm »
Thanks Nemesis,  it's annoying to come back and find your car damaged with no note of explanation, but if the Police were involved the Car owner presumably would have contacted them

Offline SteveH

« Reply #446 on: September 05, 2016, 11:47:29 am »
A55 roundabout removal project given £34m boost
The project to replace the A55 roundabouts at Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr has been allocated £34m by the Welsh Government.
Under the major highways scheme, the two roundabouts will be replaced with junctions - with two years of traffic delays for drivers.
The Welsh Government previously said it hoped to start the major construction scheme in 2017, with work lasting until 2019 and causing misery for motorists.
Plans to replace A55 roundabouts at Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr with junctions have been put back two years.
The Welsh Government wants to remove the two roundabouts to improve safety and help traffic flows on the key route through North Wales.
They had hoped to start the two year long construction scheme in 2017 but now the projected start date is 2019.

It means living with the roundabouts for another two years but at least delays the start of traffic misery from the construction work on that stretch for thousands of drivers.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/a55-roundabouts-stay-until-2021-11841427

Offline Dave

« Reply #447 on: September 05, 2016, 06:57:34 pm »
Might not need to bother if the Irish traffic starts going directly to France after Brexit.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #448 on: September 10, 2016, 03:03:51 pm »
Passing Glodaeth St. car park today, I thought it looked different, and realised there was a row of cars missing, I assume the first car in, straddled the dividing line and the rest followed, with the loss of approx. 24 spaces and fees  there are very faint markings, and definitely needs repainted.
Llandudno already struggles for parking .......... $angry$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #449 on: September 11, 2016, 06:32:43 pm »
I was driving in my road yesterday when a car shot across from a side road and nearly hit me.  I stopped in time and thankfully so did the other guy but he seemed oblivious to what he had nearly done.
I had a car written off at the exact same  spot in 2006 when an uninsured driver did the same action so I was really angry that it nearly happened again.
If an accident had happened it would have been his word against mine but as I now have a video camera installed in the car that would have been all the evidence I needed.
My camera is visual and audio and if I had to present the evidence to the Police then I'd have to apologise in advance for my language.