Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358539 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #420 on: August 11, 2016, 04:17:48 pm »
It's amazing how odd some people are. We always seek out the most deserted corner of any car park, preferring to walk a distance rather than risk the car being clobbered and its a fair bet that when we return although the car park might be close to empty some individual will be parked right next to us. Why they do it I have no idea.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #421 on: August 11, 2016, 06:05:08 pm »
Ian....."It's amazing how odd some people are."  and Nems .....( for obvious reasons given the damage that a trolley can do !)"

I have just returned from Asda, while waiting under the canopy, I noticed a woman with a trolley with one very small carrier bag, I thought lazy person! however as she passed me, she lifted the bag out, but continued to the side pedestrian entrance pushing the empty trolley through the car park, a few feet from leaving, she heaved the trolley to the side and just let it run without a backward glance.  $angry$  not a car owner?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #422 on: August 11, 2016, 06:49:25 pm »
Now here's a little test of our knowledge of the Highway Code and adopting common sense at the same time and is purely hypothetical and just for fun.   The scenario is the street in the smaller photo)

It's a small village where everyone knows each other and they all know and get on with the local bobby  PC Plod.

The first man arrives home from work at 7.00pm  and parks his car (that's the one on the right)  outside his house  and settles in for the evening.

At 8.00pm the second man arrives home from work ( that's the car on the left) and parks his car outside his house and opposite the other car and he also settles in for the evening

At 9.00pm   PC Plod is doing his night shift and comes across the two cars parked opposite each other  and realises that a traffic offence has been committed.   (the situation is still as shown in the smaller photo)

PC Plod has to observe the law and speak to one of the car owners but also wants to show some common sense too as he also lives in the village.

Which driver would PC Plod speak to and why and what would PC Plod do?   

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #423 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:38 pm »
One car is facing the 'wrong' way, so he makes the easier target :-) But if our PC is a Holmesian chap he'd check the temperature of both vehicles by touching the bonnet, then do the one that's warmest.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #424 on: August 11, 2016, 07:37:08 pm »
That's interesting Ian, but too complicated for PC Plod

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #425 on: August 11, 2016, 07:54:51 pm »
Ian....."It's amazing how odd some people are."  and Nems .....( for obvious reasons given the damage that a trolley can do !)"

I have just returned from Asda, while waiting under the canopy, I noticed a woman with a trolley with one very small carrier bag, I thought lazy person! however as she passed me, she lifted the bag out, but continued to the side pedestrian entrance pushing the empty trolley through the car park, a few feet from leaving, she heaved the trolley to the side and just let it run without a backward glance.  $angry$  not a car owner?

Typical of some !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #426 on: August 11, 2016, 08:54:24 pm »
Hugo, the left hand car is parked partially over a dropped kerb.....?

Offline DVT

« Reply #427 on: August 11, 2016, 09:22:38 pm »
Car park spaces need to be widened as cars are getting wider, but that would reduce revenue if pay and display so won't happen.

I always try and avoid parking next to a Chelsea Tractor as they take a full space with no allowance for opening doors, if I have to park next to a car I try and choose a new top of the range model as they would/should be careful with their doors!

My daughter was sitting in her car in a car park last week when another drove in and parked alongside.  Woman passenger got out and hit my daughter's car with their car door (a bit of a shed of a car).  Daughter got out to complain to woman, there was quite a scratch on daughter's car, only for the woman to tell her to "F off" and walk away.  Daughter was very tempted to key their car - took registration number but not sure of make of car and cannot trace it via DVLA website to see if was taxed/insured.  No doubt the police would not be interested so didn't take it any further - daughter's car already had a few scratches but it was the woman's attitude that caused most of the upset.  It was in Liverpool where daughter lives.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #428 on: August 11, 2016, 09:49:02 pm »
Hugo, the left hand car is parked partially over a dropped kerb.....?

No that's not the answer Steve as a dropped kerb is not visible in the picture.   The answer is obvious when you think of it.
PC Plod must speak to the person who committed the offence but who is the offender and what is the offence and how would he deal with the matter?

Think Highway Code and common sense!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #429 on: August 11, 2016, 10:04:01 pm »

- took registration number but not sure of make of car and cannot trace it via DVLA website to see if was taxed/insured. 

DVT,   The DVLA   has a new system for checking if the car tax has been paid.   The new system is called BETA  but in my opinion it should be called WORSA because it's rubbish in fact.
I've tried to trace cars and they are not on the BETA data base although I have photographic evidence of the cars being on the road.
I found by accident another way of checking if the car is registered and also insured so if you want to pass on any details by a PM I can have a look for you.     It will however be difficult for your daughter to claim anything from the other party without evidence  or witnesses not connected  to her.
I suppose that your daughter has a camera so that should have been used to take the relevant photos

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #430 on: August 12, 2016, 01:38:59 am »
Hugo, how does someone manage to send you a PM?

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #431 on: August 12, 2016, 08:27:49 am »
Hugo it would appear the red car's wheel is on white line thus committing traffic offence .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #432 on: August 12, 2016, 09:18:21 am »
Good try Spotty Dog but it's not correct,  the answer is more obvious than that.

Cygnusx-1  will probably know the Highway Code bit, but just think what you would do if you were PC Plod.

Make it as easy as possible and cut out the paperwork that goes with the job

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #433 on: August 12, 2016, 10:36:48 am »
Are you thinking the RH car is too close to a driveway?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #434 on: August 12, 2016, 10:57:35 am »
No Ian.       PC Plod can be certain that one driver is committing an offence when he has started his night shift and must approach him to uphold the law.  This would solve the problem of double parking and avoid wasting his time on paperwork etc.

Which driver does he approach and what Traffic law has been broken and how would he resolve it without issuing a ticket?