Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358780 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Road conditions in the area [b]Long delays expected in Conwy Valley
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2016, 11:02:10 am »
Long delays expected in Conwy Valley as machinery is moved to water works
Long delays are expected in the Conwy Valley today as a low loader travels through the area.
The large truck will be carrying a pile driving machine, which is to be used during £31m water works at Bryn Cowlyd near Dolgarrog.

Long queues are expected throughout the day as the vehicle travels along the B5106 through Trefriw, Dolgarrog, Tal-Y-Bont and Tyn-Y-Groes. The journey will begin at Tal y Cafn at 12.45pm.

The journey is expected to take several hours, and motorists have been warned to expect severe delays in the area during the evening rush hour.
Due to the size of the machine, it will have to be unloaded and tracked across six bridges along the way, which will see vehicles stopped for a time.

The first bridge it will have to tackle is between Caerhun Hall and Tal-Y-Bont, with the low loader expected to arrive there at 1pm.
MORE  http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/long-delays-expected-conwy-valley-11170124

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2016, 12:39:20 pm »
'Show us A55 roadworks are worth the hassle', demands Conwy council of government
The Welsh government is being called on by one of North Wales’ councils to justify whether roadworks on the A55 are really worth the hassle they cause.

Huge tailbacks late last year led hundreds of motorists to veer off through Conwy and Penmaenmawr , clogging roads, endangering pedestrians and sparking an outcry from Mayors and residents.

Conwy Council last month voted to recommend that the Welsh Government be asked “to undertake a cost benefit analysis of proposed future works against the economic impact on the North Wales region”, on the basis that “the A55 is crucial to the local, regional and national economy and it is essential that we work closely with North and Mid Wales Trunk Road Agency (NMWTRA) and Welsh Government to minimise delays and impact on local traffic.”.............

MORE AND POLL    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/show-a55-roadworks-worth-hassle-11173246

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #332 on: April 15, 2016, 06:52:06 am »
Tories plan 80mph limit on M4 and A55
The speed limit on the M4 and A55 could rise from 70mph to 80mph, under plans announced by the Welsh Conservatives.

I bet that this will be another U turn by the Tories, hopefully not on the A55 either.    Some days you are lucky enough to do 8 mph on it let alone 80 mph.
Have they ever been up north and used the A55?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2016-wales-36047878

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #333 on: April 15, 2016, 11:07:44 pm »
I think a lot drivers who use the A55 think it is an 80 mile an hour limit the way they pass me when I,m on it

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #334 on: April 15, 2016, 11:49:42 pm »
I think a lot drivers who use the A55 think it is an 80 mile an hour limit the way they pass me when I,m on it

That's a good point Bri,  if they make it an 80mph limit, the norm will become 90 mph won't it?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #335 on: April 16, 2016, 08:17:36 am »
I may be wrong but I thought the national 70 mph limit was introduced to reduce fuel consumption and thus "green house" gases.  I agree with the points made that drivers do exceed the legal limit so an increase will simply mean speeds of up to 90 or even 100 mph.  Surely there are road safety issues to consider. Although a Conservative proposal, I don't recall JFS having mentioned this or any public debate on the matter.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2016, 08:49:36 am »
No - that was in the States. Our 70 limit was introduced in 1966 as a consequence of a four month experiment on the M6 in Cheshire. There were few changes in crash statistics.

It's interesting. Modern cars are inherently safer than those in 1966, but more capable of achieving 80 quickly. The thorny question of whether speed is directly related to the incidence of serious injuries in roads has never been resolved. It's not simply 'common sense' as some would contend, and poor or inadequate driving would almost certainly remain the main cause of road deaths. Most serious road injuries are sustained in 30-40mph areas, too, so I doubt there's any real answer. But the bottom line is that the A55 is an inherently dangerous road for many reasons, not least being the lack of a third lane and hard shoulder, and the frequency of lane closures, which seem to defy logic.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #337 on: April 16, 2016, 08:56:19 am »
No - that was in the States. Our 70 limit was introduced in 1966 as a consequence of a four month experiment on the M6 in Cheshire. There were few changes in crash statistics.

It's interesting. Modern cars are inherently safer than those in 1966, but more capable of achieving 80 quickly. The thorny question of whether speed is directly related to the incidence of serious injuries in roads has never been resolved. It's not simply 'common sense' as some would contend, and poor or inadequate driving would almost certainly remain the main cause of road deaths. Most serious road injuries are sustained in 30-40mph areas, too, so I doubt there's any real answer. But the bottom line is that the A55 is an inherently dangerous road for many reasons, not least being the lack of a third lane and hard shoulder, and the frequency of lane closures, which seem to defy logic.

I thought it had something to do with AC Cars being caught by a national newspaper testing their Cobras on the M1 at 180mph+ in 1964, plus a spate of bad smashes in the fog on a number of motorways at the time.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #338 on: April 16, 2016, 09:17:37 am »
Thanks for the replies.  There's some interesting info under "Road speed limits in the United Kingdom" in Wikpiedia.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: April 16, 2016, 10:45:18 am »
Oh, yes;  I"d forgotten about the fog crashes. I seem to remember that led to the introduction of mandatory limits and separate tests for HGVs.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #340 on: April 17, 2016, 10:47:42 pm »
Your spot on as usual fester, 80,90, 100, it would,nt mean a thing to those who break the speed limit, as it,s been said the cars of today are a lot safer than in days of old, but the mentality of the drivers leave a lot to be desired.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2016, 09:20:13 am »
Returning from a lovely day out yesterday, upon leaving Beddgelert we were hassled constantly by drivers trying to pass on the narrow parts of the road and my OH certainly isn't a slow driver. Thus when we reached the T road to join the A5 it was no surprise to be turned back by the police who were closing the road between Capel Curig and Betwys due to a serious accident. Things were made worse by people who had no clue how to divert away from the area, as the police hadn't had time to sort out diversion signs. We set off along the A 5 towards Bangor and joined the A55 and thus home. The A55 was busy, but not massively so, but I imagine it would have got worse as time went on, because short of turning back and either going back down the Aberglaslyn Pass, or diverting onto the coast via Llanberis there is no other option.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a5-conwy-reopens-16-hours-11200447
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #342 on: April 19, 2016, 11:01:30 am »
Anyone heading round the Marine Drive.......extra care is needed as there seems to be an awful lot of cyclists round there.........some of them riding against the one-way traffic. :o

Offline mull

« Reply #343 on: April 19, 2016, 05:34:00 pm »
It does not matter they are only idiots on bikes.
Traffic laws do not apply to them.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #344 on: April 19, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »
Glad that you said that Mull. It's what I thought, but I would only have been shot down in flames if I had said it ! Well said ! ;D