Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 369148 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2015, 04:17:58 pm »
It does not look like rocket science to sort that problem out! £3,000,000 down the drain, if there is one!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: December 29, 2015, 04:34:44 pm »
Sadly, I think the problems stem from a lack of informed thinking. When the road was constructed, with the associated drainage, it would have been designed to withstand a 1 in 100 year weather event. That's pretty standard, even now. There's a general lack of acceptance that the climate is changing and a complete lack of understanding about the effects of that change, the major one of which is to increase the frequency of severe weather events.

A good example of this is the Marine drive around the Orme. One of the contributory factors behind the flooding in 1993 was that the road has a wall around it which acts - for all intents and purposes - as a gutter.  In Florida, where torrential rain is the norm, the drain cavities are enormous, so they don't have flooding as such. It would have cost relatively little to insert large openings in the wall and the rock face sides, so that were another event such as the 1993 storm to repeat itself, Llandudno would survive the event much better. But no: in their collective wisdom the various councils have decided that such an event won't reoccur for another hundred years.

Guess what...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member

Offline Hugo

« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2016, 03:44:43 pm »
The Welsh Government installed 38 crossing points to ease the mayhem caused by road closures on the expressway

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/5m-a55-traffic-congestion-scheme-10782394

Offline Hugo

« Reply #289 on: January 25, 2016, 10:37:42 pm »

Police car in multi-vehicle A55 crash near Llanfairfechan

1 hour ago

From the section North West Wales

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35405912

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:36 am »
The A55 seems to end up getting closed due to a car crash at some point almost every day.  &shake&

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2016, 01:16:08 pm »
After returning from a short break away I noticed road closure signs on Ty Gwyn road on the Orme for Friday 19th February. I fully expected to find some details pushed through the door from Welsh Water but there was nothing. I had a web chat with Welsh water who advised that the road will be open up until 6 o'clock after which traffic will be diverted up Tabor Hill and back onto Ty Gwyn at Black Gate while they fix a leak.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2016, 09:32:32 am »
We recently went for a walk around Crafnant and travelled the usual way down the B5106 from Conwy to get there. Having travelled on that road for close on 40 years, I was amazed to see the extent of recent flood damage to the road and the area around; by far the worst I've ever seen. It doesn't bode well for the future if climate change continues to get worse.

Offline Hugo

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Road conditions in the area A55 CLOSED COL/BAY
« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2016, 12:20:03 pm »
Chemical spillage closes part of A55 near Colwyn Bay

A chemical spillage from a tanker has led to part of the A55 in Conwy county being closed.
The road has been shut in both directions between junction 21 at Colwyn Bay and junction 22 at Llanddulas.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said a lorry had "sprung a leak" and it was working with the tanker company to establish what chemicals were involved.
Three fire engines and an incident response vehicle are at the scene.
Environmental control teams are also on their way.
The fire service said the chemicals could be decanted from the leaking vehicle to another and warned the road could be closed "for some time".
REF..BBC

Offline SteveH

« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2016, 01:27:40 pm »
A55 closure has caused major traffic disruption in Colwyn Bay.

Would appear to be an ongoing problem at this time.....

Symbols on the back of the tanker suggest it was carrying the corrosive substance called Ferric Chloride. It is described as toxic, highly corrosive and acidic.

"Please be patient, traffic is being moved off the #A55 through the crash gate by Rainbow Bridge."

MORE and PHOTOS...http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/live-a55-closed-due-chemical-11077781

Offline Hugo

« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2016, 02:53:06 pm »
I've just had a phone call from my wife who is on the A55 westbound from Llandudno Junction to Colwyn Bay and it's gridlocked.  No movement whatsoever.
I came from Llandudno and there were serious problems at the West End of Colwyn Bay too

Offline SteveH

« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2016, 04:17:48 pm »
I don,t think this is linked to the chemical spillage but still affects the A55 for the next couple of days......

A55 shut overnight in Conwy and Denbighshire.

Drivers face disruption during overnight roadworks on the A55.
A stretch of the road will be closed in Conwy and Denbighshire.

In Conwy county, both the westbound and eastbound carriageways of the A55 will be closed during the night between Junction 19 at the Black Cat roundabout in Llandudno Junction and Junction 22 at Old Colwyn between 8pm and 6am until the morning of Thursday, March 24.

Diversions will be in place.

In Denbighshire, one lane will also be shut on the A55 in both directions between Junction 27 at St Asaph and Junction 31 at Caerwys between 8pm and 6am until Thursday, March 24.  REF DPost.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2016, 05:04:22 pm »
I've just had a phone call from my wife who is on the A55 westbound from Llandudno Junction to Colwyn Bay and it's gridlocked.  No movement whatsoever.
I came from Llandudno and there were serious problems at the West End of Colwyn Bay too

Nightmare! Just took me two and a half hours to get from Black Cat to Old Colwyn.
In the old days they would have had a copper on point duty at the exit to help relieve the tail back. The only one I saw was parked up in a side street keeping a low profile. Waste of space!
Valar Morghulis