Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358400 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2011, 10:48:13 am »
Selling sweets from big jars?   You'd have the 'elf and safety boys on your tail!    ;D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2011, 11:06:49 am »
Selling sweets from big jars?   You'd have the 'elf and safety boys on your tail!

:o

Actually, there are two ways of doing it, and the most usual is using pre-wrapped sweets in the jars. But I agree that insurance and H & S would be the biggest concerns. When we were last in the States, there was a Victorian-style shop selling Coca Cola for 5 cents a bottle;  not sure how they managed that...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2011, 11:14:33 am »
Grumpys in Upper Mostyn Street is such a sweet shop:

https://www.grumpyssweetshop.com/

"Take a trip down memory lane with our fantastic retro and old-fashioned sweets! We have an amazing selection of traditional favourites as well as a plentiful selection of modern sweets!

Every product listed has been chosen by Grumpy himself, and because of this we can be confident that you will be completely satisfied with your purchase!

Our shop stocks over 300 variations of sweets that you're bound to remember from your youth, and we're increasing our product range every day. "

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2011, 11:22:13 am »
They are quite good on prices too for Llandudno, when I was in the club I used to buy the rhubarb and custards.  The sweet shop in Conwy on Berry Street is a good one as well.  The shop across from the Mail Coach however is a rip off  :o
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline dwsi

« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2011, 12:07:30 pm »
two of my friends have local shops and have opened internet stores. If it wasn't for the internet store the physical shop would've had to close a long while ago.

:rage:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2011, 02:08:53 am »
It probably does, but I suspect the internet does it even more.  Local shops have to adapt;  they have to find a niche which the larger shops can't or won't fill. The main difference between the chain store and the local person is almost inevitably the levels of personal service and knowledge, hence the proliferation of cafes, hairdressing salons and restaurants.

Additionally, you can't get a cup of tea, get your hair cut, or buy a steak dinner via the internet.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2011, 08:24:10 am »
There are also certain types of high street retail that are slightly more resilient to the advance of internet retail - clothes, for example, where women like to try the outfit on before buying it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2011, 08:38:38 am »
two of my friends have local shops and have opened internet stores. If it wasn't for the internet store the physical shop would've had to close a long while ago.

That isn't a new phenomenon, either; in the late '80s, a model train business moved into premises on the now defunct Platform 3 in Colwyn Bay (our kids were little, I loved trains, and it was nearing Christmas, so I was there quite a bit!) and they also ran a very bust mail-order business.  Given how sparse the interest seemed every time I popped in, it was certainly the mail order side keeping them afloat.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »
 :D  Then there is the traffic lights at Mostyn Champneys,they are terrible. WWW

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2011, 06:54:43 am »

They're RED, AMBER and GREEN just like any other traffic lights, do you want some special colours?    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Trojan

« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2011, 07:01:36 am »

They're RED, AMBER and GREEN just like any other traffic lights, do you want some special colours?    L0L

I think the timers have been set in Cardiff to annoy Wrex as the A470 runs the length of Wales from Llandudno to Cardiff.  :laugh:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:40 pm »
 :( It may run from Llandudno but it is known as the Glan Conwy to Cardiff road we don;t even get any recognition there.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2011, 11:51:06 pm »
:( It may run from Llandudno but it is known as the Glan Conwy to Cardiff road we don;t even get any recognition there.

:'(

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2011, 09:54:45 am »
Perhaps they have yet to catch up with the fact that the A470 was extended several years ago from Glan Conwy (corner) to Llandudno!!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2011, 07:01:51 am »
 :( I was e-mailed by Chris Patori yesterday from CCBC re -Mostyn Champneys traffic lights and he informs me that they watched the exit last Friday and Saturday lunch time and saw no problem,also they met Llandudno development committee and they had no problem with the exits either.So am i the only one who gets caught in ques trying to exit Mostyn Champneys,please let me know. Z**