Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 359100 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Roads in the area..A470-shut following a two-vehicle crash.
« Reply #1230 on: November 28, 2020, 11:14:04 am »
The A470-shut following a two-vehicle crash.

The road is closed near Bodnant Gardens in Conwy county and drivers have been urged to avoid the area.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-a470-shut-crash-near-19362879

Offline SteveH

Re: Roads in the area..A470-shut following a two-vehicle crash.
« Reply #1231 on: November 28, 2020, 04:14:36 pm »
Follow up......... ref DP

Police are appealing for witnesses after a biker was flown to Liverpool for hospital treatment following a crash.

The A470 was closed in Tal-y-Cafn after the crash at about 8.30am.

North Wales Police said the incident involved a black and white Triumph motorcycle and a red Volkswagen campervan.

The motorcycle was travelling from the direction of Llanrwst generally towards Glan Conwy.

Officers are now asking any witnesses or anyone with dash cam footage to help them with their investigations.

Offline SteveH

Re: Roads in the area..A55 shut from Llanddulas to old Colwyn
« Reply #1232 on: December 08, 2020, 03:18:41 pm »
10 mins ago
A55 shut from Llanddulas to old Colwyn after crash

THE A55 has been shut at Llanddulas following a crash on Tuesday afternoon.

North Wales Police and Wales Air Ambulance were called to the incident on the westbound lane from Llanddulas to Old Colwyn before 2.30pm.

Traffic Wales warned there is heavy congestion as emergency services are present.

"Road closure currently in place in both directions on the A55 Llanddulas, Junction 22 to Junction 23," police tweeted.

"Officers are currently dealing with a road traffic collision.

"Please avoid the area and use alternative routes where possible."

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18929202.a55-shut-llanddulas-crash/

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #1233 on: December 16, 2020, 10:42:48 am »
This driver was lucky to escape with his life when he was parked in a lay by and a lorry hit his car

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55324309

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1234 on: December 17, 2020, 03:27:12 pm »
A look into the future.........

LIVE: A55 gridlocked with huge queues of Holyhead Port traffic
Police have urging motorists to find an alternative route

Several ferries which were due to leave this morning have been delayed today, which could help to explain the major queues.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-holyhead-port-traffic-sparks-19477508

Offline SteveH

Re: Roads in the area.......TOUCHLESS traffic lights
« Reply #1235 on: December 18, 2020, 03:03:04 pm »
TOUCHLESS traffic lights are being trialled in Conwy to prevent the spread of viruses.        ref Pioneer

Conwy County Borough Council said that as part of a three-month trial the crossings have been installed outside Marks & Spencer on Mostyn Street, Llandudno and near Ysgol Bryn Elian on Abergele Road in Old Colwyn.

Instead of pressing a button, pedestrians wave their hand in front of the button to activate the red light signal.

The design aims to help reduce people’s exposure to contact viruses commonly found on push buttons including Covid-19.

“So far the trial is going well, with about 40 per cent of users taking advantage of the technology,” said Cllr Greg Robbins, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transportation.

“If we continue to get good results, we will bid for funding from Welsh Government to install more of these crossings.”

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1236 on: December 18, 2020, 03:21:19 pm »
Talking of Traffic lights, I was driving through Llandudno Junction today and drove past the Tre Marl Industrial Estate when I came to the traffic lights at the large Black Cat roundabout.
The lights were on green but we couldn't move off because traffic was coming from the east bound slipway. That traffic stopped and immediately traffic started coming from the Glan Conwy side although our lights were still on green.
I saw a gap in the traffic and went for it to get on the eastbound lane of the A55 but it was back to the whacky races that they had on the roundabout before.
Has anyone noticed a problem with the lights today?

Offline DVT

« Reply #1237 on: December 18, 2020, 04:20:37 pm »
I was discussing that very same thing with my sister yesterday - I live in Junction, she lives in Mochdre and was leaving us to go home.  I told her to be careful at that junction.

The lights on the A547 when approaching the big roundabout are NOT for the junction, they are for the pedestrian crossing that is a few yards before the junction - not that many use it.

Like you, I would expect anyone seeing the green lights to assume that it is their turn to join the roundabout but, as you say, there could still be traffic coming from either the eastbound slip road or from Glan Conway direction under the bridge.

I took a walk by there a couple of weeks ago and mentioned this to one of the workers.  He told me he had already seen three bumps there since the lights were put up.

I also think some of the markings on the road are incorrect - as well as being extremely difficult to read due to so much of it, and you're trying to watch what is ahead.

Then, of course, there is the cycle lane through the middle of the roundabout.  When I went for my walk I saw two cyclists using it - a father and young daughter.  But I also saw two cyclists still on the main carriageway round the roundabout - they were lycralout types - you know the ones that complain of not enough being done to keep the cyclists safe - grrrr!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1238 on: December 18, 2020, 05:48:50 pm »
Thanks very much for pointing out that those lights were for the pedestrian crossing DVT.    It all seems very confusing and worse than ever.
Talking about cyclists,  I was driving to the West Shore today along Gloddaeth Street and the two cyclists in front of me were riding two abreast.    I was driving very slowly and on the verge of overtaking them safely when one of the old duffers wobbled on his bike and wandered into the outside lane obviously oblivious to my presence
A toot on the horn alerted him and he then went into single file where he should have been in the first place, but to be honest the roads don't seem safe for cyclists nowadays .   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1239 on: December 18, 2020, 08:47:11 pm »
Stretch of road in Llandudno shut after crash,,, Conway Road has been partly closed

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-road-llandudno-shut-both-19487062

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1240 on: December 19, 2020, 01:03:50 pm »
Stretch of road in Llandudno shut after crash,,, Conway Road has been partly closed

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-road-llandudno-shut-both-19487062

Pensioner killed after car rolled over her in Llandudno
The 73-year-old was exiting a vehicle when it moved back and collided with her last night

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/pensioner-killed-after-car-rolled-19488649

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1241 on: December 29, 2020, 10:06:39 am »
January 5-9: Eastbound J18 Llandudno Junction to J20 Brompton Avenue, will be closed. Essential carriageway patching and street lighting works between 8.30pm – 6pm.
Diversions will be in place.

January 15-29:  Jct 19 essential renewal of worn out bridge expansion joints at Glan Conwy Viaduct. The eastbound carriageway will be closed for a week, when the westbound will be closed for a week.

According to Traffic Wales "Significant queueing and delay is expected at peak times especially on the A55 with moderate queueing expected at other times".

Diversions will be in place with a 40mph speed limit on open carriageway to provide a safe area for contractors working close to the central reserve barrier on the closed carriageway.                          ref DP

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1242 on: December 30, 2020, 09:22:58 am »
LIVE: Emergency services called to A55 crashes as snow sparks disruption

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-emergency-services-called-a55-19537287

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1243 on: December 30, 2020, 09:29:33 am »
Have you got snow up there Hugo, few cars flipped over on a 55, some drivers still think it's ok to bomb along.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1244 on: December 30, 2020, 09:35:50 am »
We have had showers of sleet and hail up here and it has stuck on the roads and grass.     Our steep drive is covered in hail so I'll have to dig the drive out if we want to move the car.
You are right about those nutters on the road Norman but it's usually the others who get injured