Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358238 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #1050 on: September 30, 2019, 07:16:08 pm »
There was a display in the Business Centre in Llandudno Junction a couple of weeks ago showing details of possible new road layouts for the big roundabout at A55 junction 19 ... some had three lanes, some had traffic lights and there was a version which had roads going through the middle of the roundabout.  To me, a couple seemed reasonably good.

If they go ahead with traffic lights then getting the sequence will be curcial.  Three lanes, with directions painted on them, seemed good as well.

As someone who regularly comes from Llandudno Junction to join the roundabout I am always wary of a car coming round from the south in the left-hand lane and indicating left - looking as if it will turn towards Junction but instead drive across the front of me and goes north on the A470 to Llandudno - the junctions are too close together and the drivers not indicating correctly.

At the end of the day what it needs are drivers who know how to indicate and be in the correct lane.  The scenario you describe about cars heading towards Llanrwst happens often - the car in the left hand lane looks to be going to Mochdre yet cuts across the car that is correctly in the right-hand lane heading towards Llanrwst.  Drive as if the others around you are idiots, as they often are!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1051 on: September 30, 2019, 08:39:23 pm »
At the end of the day what it needs are drivers who know how to indicate and be in the correct lane.

That could be asking the impossible of many...   *cycle*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1052 on: September 30, 2019, 09:25:25 pm »
Here is the consultation document for those interested.

Responses by the 16 October.

https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/consultations/2019-09/consultation-document_1.pdf

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1053 on: October 01, 2019, 02:21:50 pm »
I was driving up King's Drive in Colwyn Bay at about 11,20 am today and the traffic had stopped just after Oak Drive.   No vehicles were going up the hill or coming down the hill and it was like that for quite a while.
It turns out that there had been a crash by the Old Highway and I saw a red car on a low loader and by the state of the car it must have been an insurance write off
It was a bad smash but there were no ambulances  or fire engines on the scene so I hope that no one was seriously injured in the crash

What puzzled me was the fact that one or both cars demolished part of a stone wall and in doing so had to mount the pavement to go through the wall.   Similar things have happened in Craigside and by the traffic lights in Rhos but there is no proper explanation for these type of accidents happening under normal circumstances

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1054 on: October 01, 2019, 02:57:12 pm »
This is what the wall looked like after the crash

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1055 on: October 01, 2019, 07:34:52 pm »

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1056 on: October 07, 2019, 11:34:52 am »
Major roadworks that have caused massive tailbacks are set to be completed early.                                ref DP

The repairs to the Kneeshaw Bridge around Llanddulas on the A55 were due to end at the end of this week.

But the Welsh government is now saying they will be completed on Wednesday, October 9.                                &shake&

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1057 on: October 09, 2019, 10:12:22 am »
A55 roadworks that sparked massive delays have finished early
All lanes are back open after weeks of delays    ref DP

Just a reminder that the Glan Clwyd Hospital, Park and Ride service, is due to end 31 st Oct.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1058 on: October 10, 2019, 03:44:34 pm »
I mentioned above about the Park and Ride at Glan Clwyd hospital..............

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) have been reviewing the scheme, but it is still unclear if it will be continued.

A spokesperson for the health board said: "Options for the future of the Park and Ride service at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd will be discussed at the meeting of the health board’s Finance and performance committee on October 24.”   ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1059 on: October 13, 2019, 12:52:58 pm »
Why the Evo Triangle speed cameras have not been switched on after 6 months

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/evo-triangle-speed-cameras-not-17067822

Offline SteveH

Re: Roads in the area ............. Hospital Park and Ride
« Reply #1060 on: October 17, 2019, 04:05:23 pm »
MOTORISTS driving into Llandudno face delays because of road resurfacing works between the Queen’s and Links roundabouts.
The work started last Monday and are scheduled to be completed by Friday October 25     ref Pioneer

A hospital's under threat park and ride service has won another six month reprieve.
The future of Ysbyty Glan Clwyd's free scheme at the nearby former Hotpoint site in Bodelwyddan has been hanging in the balance since the beginning of this year.

But for the second time, local pressure has prevailed, with the park and ride service being given yet another six month extension until April 2020
.   ref DP

Offline DVT

« Reply #1061 on: October 17, 2019, 04:43:40 pm »
On the occasions this year that I have used the Park'n'Ride I have counted less than 100 cars in the ex-Hotpoint car park (right underneath what was once the window next to my desk!!!)

I thought I'd read that the extension to the hospital car park would cater for 140 extra vehicles.

So, in theory, there should be 40 empty spaces at the hospital at most times.

Anyway, good to know the park'n'ride scheme is carrying on.

If I just miss the bus back I walk and get there before the next bus ... although appreciate not everyone can do that!

Offline SteveH

Re: Roads in Wales
« Reply #1062 on: October 18, 2019, 11:03:56 am »
Dual nationality: Wales - same country but roads apart.

"But what about the real world physical connections that bind us - especially between the north and south?
For a small country, our sprawling, twisting road network makes it a very large place.

It can take longer to drive from Llandudno to Cardiff than it does to take your car across the Irish sea to Dublin.

Get stuck behind a timber lorry on the A470 - and you'll find it would have been quicker to drive to London instead.
But why? It's 190 miles - why should that journey take so long?"

Interesting article    Cont... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50086660

Offline DVT

« Reply #1063 on: October 18, 2019, 02:33:38 pm »
Anyone spot the error in that report?

Quote ... "But it is a similar story - a route running east to west - from Wales to England."

Surely from Wales to England is west to east, and not east to west as stated ... !!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1064 on: October 18, 2019, 02:48:11 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*

True...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.