The Local > Local News & Discussion

Roads in the area

(1/331) > >>

Dave:
Am I alone in feeling exasperated at the sight of the floral tributes and messages to what was an act of reckless stupidity ? Instead of writing messages about angels and sleeping tight, doesn't anyone feel they want to write you stupid so and so, look what you have done.
Of course it a tragedy that another young life has been lost. His family will suffer for many, many years to come, probably forever.My deepest sympathy goes out to them but what of his friends and youth in general. What are they likely to learn. The answer is probably nothing.
There has been so much carnage even on local roads in the last few months it's time something was done to protect both the youngsters from themselves and to protect innocent third parties who might get involved. I refer to the fatal car accidents at the old Hotel 70 site, the Conwy tunnel, and a little further away, Menai Bridge and Aberystwyth.
As for this particular incident, as yet the full facts have not come to light. What is known though is that speed has played a part, as has inexperience.
This is the second accident at the same spot but lets get real, it's not the roads fault.
Who is to blame. We all are.
Jeremy Clarkson and his petrol head mentality that speed isn't the source of accidents.
The law allowing inexperienced drivers to carry passengers of similar age who are often the victims of show off driving.
Attempts by parents to get around high insurance costs by including their children as named drivers then not keeping control over the use of their children's cars.
Laws that have no restrictions on the size and power of vehicles that newly qualified drivers can drive.

and I'm sure you can think of many more.

However, there is one additional thought too.
Yesterday morning the "Arrive Alive " van was in action near the Links Hotel roundabout. Clocking errant drivers heading towards Asda as they strayed over the 40 mph mark. Later it was stationed by the paddling pool on the prom ( yes, the children have now gone back to school and the area was deserted because of the weather). I am all in favour of protecting pedestrians and , generally speaking , all in favour of speed cameras and mobile police traps but only when used to stop irresponsible driving in inappropriate places.
How often do you see gangs of youths with their suped up cars showing off around town at night. How do we seem to allow them to go unchecked as they turn suburban streets in to race tracks. Where is the speed trap then ?

Something has to be done surely ?

Ian:
The insurance companies are imposing increasingly severe restrictions on young drivers - 'young' being defined, now, as below 25 - and this also means the size and power of car they drive.  The two biggest problems are drivers who use their parents' company cars - the insurances on which allow them to drive ,irrespective of age and power - and those who simply don't bother getting insured.

DaveR:
We've all done foolish things when we were young; it's in the nature of youths to take risks, ignore potential dangers and push things to the limit. Here's an example:

When I was a lot younger, I was a passenger in a car crash by the Craigside Inn going over to Penrhyn Bay - it was night, the car was going a bit too fast, skidded on the wet road and ploughed into the stone wall, demolished a lamp post and then bounced across the road into the wall on the other side, then back into the middle of the road. There was 4 of us in the car, all of us were knocked unconscious in the crash. I (as front seat passenger) was the first to come to, smelt a very strong smell of petrol from the ruptured fuel tank and shouted for everyone to get out. Myself and the driver freed ourselves and forced open one of the rear doors to get the back seat passenger out. It was only then that we realised that the other back seat passenger was missing, he had been thrown out through the rear window and was lying about 20 feet away on the road. Fortunately, nobody was killed, although the guy that was thrown out through the  window received fairly serious injuries and had difficulty walking for some time.

Looking back at that particular accident, it's difficult to see (short of upping the age from which you can drive) how it could have been prevented. As you say, young drivers/passengers need to be protected from themselves but quite how you would go about that...I don't quite know? I'd certainly agree that the Police need to take a tougher line with speeding and showing off at night. Even during the day, you see the odd souped up car razzing around Llandudno making a massive noise - why do the Police not stop them for having such loud exhaust - is it against the law?

Ian:
They should, of course, but I suspect the only way to deal with the main issues is to raise the driving age to 21 at least.  I suspect there are too many vested interests that would prevent that happening, however.

Quiggs:
I believe that it is illegal to have a noisy exhaust, they are usually fitted to increase performance, and would come under the heading of 'Being Modified', making the Car Insurance invalid if the Ins. Co. had not been notified.   )*)&

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version