Author Topic: Scarborough  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Scarborough
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:45:24 pm »
I've just come back after a 5 day coach trip to the pretty resort of Scarborough.  We stopped in York on the journey over and then had a day at leisure on Tuesday to explore the resort,
Wednesday was busy with an early start to catch the train for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway trip to Goathland. There was time to see the locations featured in the "Heartbeat" series, have a cuppa and then on to the old fishing port of Whitby to have lunch and have a look around the old narrow streets of the town before returning back to Scarborough via the North and South Bays.
Thursday took us to Flamborough Head then Filey before having some time in Bridlington.
On Friday we travelled home stopping at Harrogate for lunch. The queue at Betty's Tea Rooms by lunch time was so long we decided to go elsewhere and still enjoyed a meal (and less costly) nearby.
The weather had been good all week until we hit the M56 and then the rain was torrential, the traffic had been good also until we got onto the A55 in Abergele where it was stop start all the way until we got off at Llanddulas but we still made good time overall.

Offline Hugo

Re: Scarborough
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:47:27 pm »
Scarborough and Goathland

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 06:49:47 pm »
Whitby, Flamborough Head and Bridlington

Offline hollins

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »
Glad you had a good trip Hugo. I was trying to guess where you might have been this time!
Where was the Scripps Funeral Service "SHOP!"?
Nice photo of Whitby and the white cliffs.
You certainly saw a lot of lovely views.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:53:13 pm »
Nice pictures Hugo... they were all places I used to visit regularly, (almost weekly) before discovering Llandudno.

Whitby is quaint, amazing seafood and Mrs F and I used to stay in the cottage at the foot of the Abbey steps which just creeps in to your photo.
To answer Hollins question, the Scripps funeral shop is the one featured in Heartbeat, and is in the village of Goathland.
Very pictuesque, but also boring to me now.... I think I did that area to death...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 11:17:03 am »
We like the area after seeing the TV programmes " Heart Beat" and "The Royal" and this was our third visit there. The location for the Royal is on the Esplanade not far from our Hotel and it is now a nice block of private apartments. 
The white cliffs are those of Flamborough head and the lighthouse is situated very near the cliffs. 
Fester, that area you stayed at is really nice and ideal for the resort but not so good for car parking! Last time I drove a short distance up the steep hill on the right and there was a vehicle blocking the way. I remember doing a 33 point turn in the street and was glad to get out of there in one piece.      :-[

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 07:13:35 pm »
Hugo, just to the left of your photo of the steep hill in Whitby is a cast iron bollard... it left quite a dent in my previous car, as I too fell victim to the difficulty in driving to the top of that street.  ^*^0
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 07:51:58 pm »
It nearly made a dent in my car too but it was more by luck than by judgement on my part.   By the way Fester the Grand had a massive renovation recently, about £7m I was told so it should be better now.  The holiday firm Just Go had a coach trip to the Grand in Scarborough in Aug this year and 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast plus 2 free excursions plus a 99p bar cost just £109.95     Z**      Z**
Don't know how they could do it for that price!    ???