Author Topic: Police Effectiveness  (Read 68338 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Police Effectiveness
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 05:55:27 pm »
Erm whats In my humble opinion ?

Political corruption is certainly not a light hearted topic I agree, but at the end of the day, if you don't laugh you'll cry.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 06:00:14 pm »
In my humble opinion = In My Opinion

We do need to try and keep the jokes out of this particular thread, please, as they only result in everyone getting sidetracked.  I have moved the jokier comments into the jokes thread. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:11:11 pm by DaveR »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 07:22:01 pm »
  when I was pounding the beat some years ago!   )*)&

For someone who was pounding the beat some years ago, are you saying that you did not appreciate any help or co-operation from we, the general public? If you are, I for one would be very disappointed with that view which I am sure would not be shared by many of your colleagues.

I'm with most of what Dave has said and my general view is that we are all in this together with a responsibility to help and look after each other, for the benefit of all..

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 07:25:47 pm »
Can we talk about what happened at the Old White House?

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2010/10/21/every-window-at-the-old-white-house-in-conwy-smashed-55243-27512765/

As everyone in Conwy knows there are members of a certain family that routinely shakedown pub landlords in the area for 'protection money' in exchange for not smashing their windows in. And now we have a Conwy pub with their windows smashed in.

Now, I know we can't name names for fear of legal retribution but how many more years are the residents of Conwy going to put up with this kind of thuggery? I understand the police are actively pursuing and prosecuting certain members of this family but it's certainly not doing a lot of good for poor Hayden and Pauline.

Yorkie

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 09:21:05 pm »
How about a Policing thread for the rest of the area's Communities?  It seems rather restrictive having just the one.  In the interests of other residents and co-operation with the Law Enforcers perhaps all other Community Officers could be persuaded to partake in a similar way to PC Smith.      *&(   *&(

Offline Trojan

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 03:44:32 am »
  $thanx$     Thanks Mike thats just what I wanted to hear .
When the young lady was being assaulted it was hard to know who to call as we didnt feel it warranted a 999 call ....or would it have?

Well....it seems EVERYONE is missing the point here.

Alice, you witnessed a female being assaulted and you did not know who to call? Are you serious?

PC Smith - "A Few fixed penalty tickets issued for drinking in the street and littering should hopefully put them off making a mess of it again".
errr....maybe so, but what about the female who was apparently assaulted? Been to obtain a statement from Alice? I would have thought an assault would have been a more urgent policing matter than getting a bus shelter in a Llandudno suburb clean, but hey, different people have different priorities I suppose.

At the end of the day, this thread so far, has resulted in the majority of posters getting excited over a bus shelter being cleaned.

{}{}

Offline Trojan

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 04:02:51 am »

It's a pity this thread has been reduced to Roy Chubby Brown , who's level of humour is somewhere between the toilet pan and the sewer.

I have a feeling this thread might have just run aground as a result and it's a great shame. The community need public spirited individuals who are prepared to stand up and be counted and are not afraid of reporting illegal or anti social behaviour.
I might be wrong but I thought this Forum was a light hearted view of current goings on in and around our communities. "People who want to stand up and be counted,...not afraid of reporting illegal or anti-social bahaviour" already have a site and a phone number its called Crime Stoppers.  I know that sounds flippant but I think Trojan was only making a joke Dave.

I'm sure Trojan was making a joke, although not a particularly funny one.I wasn't too impressed with the implication that there is something unworthy of "informers"
Crimestoppers is only one means of communicating with the police. Lots of people are not sure that their "problem" is worthy of reporting. PC Smith has obviously identified that in local forums such as this, individuals are more likely to discuss issues that they feel unable to deal with personally. In this particular case anti social behaviour in a bus shelter. I can understand why Alice was reluctant to phone 999 and I am delighted to see that as a result of this forum some action was taken and the problem hopefully resolved for good.
In term of this forum being a light hearted view of current goings on, well in some things it may well be and should be but I hardly think implications of political corruption and the like fall in to that category. There are not that many regular contributors to the forum, I'm certainly not, but,In my humble opinion, contributors should be encouraged and not be made the butt of a unfunny joke .

Edit: I sorted out the problem with the quotes. DaveR

So, Dave, how exactly was I implying that there is something untrustworthy of informers?

Yorkie wrote....Whilst I appreciate the sentiments of PC Smith I do not condone the request that Alice (whoever she may be) should be the eyes and the ears of HM Constabulary.

Then I replied.....The Police have been using informers in one way, shape or form, ever since Sir Robert Peel formed The Met in 1829.

No implication, just stating a fact.....actually.  

Crimestoppers is only one means of communicating with the police. Lots of people are not sure that their "problem" is worthy of reporting. PC Smith has obviously identified that in local forums such as this, individuals are more likely to discuss issues that they feel unable to deal with personally. In this particular case anti social behaviour in a bus shelter. I can understand why Alice was reluctant to phone 999 and I am delighted to see that as a result of this forum some action was taken and the problem hopefully resolved for good.
In term of this forum being a light hearted view of current goings on, well in some things it may well be and should be but I hardly think implications of political corruption and the like fall in to that category. There are not that many regular contributors to the forum, I'm certainly not, but,In my humble opinion, contributors should be encouraged and not be made the butt of a unfunny joke .

In this particular case anti social behaviour in a bus shelter eh? But what about the female who was assaulted? Was it her boyfriend who "slapped her around?" Was it a drunken stranger, who wouldn't take NO for an answer? Is she okay? Does she have psychological scars and is afraid to go out at night now? Is she on a "missing persons" list? Is she buried in Bodafon Fields?

Has the problem REALLY been resolved for good?

I don't particularly like Roy Chubby Brown  myself, was always a Tommy Cooper fan, but Roy Chubby Brown just happened to add some additional lyrics to the song Alice, which I directed personally to my long time friend Yorkie as a joke. You see, myself and Yorkie enjoy joking around from time to time.

As for implications of political corruption, I'm afraid you've lost me with that one.

I have a feeling this thread might have just run aground as a result and it's a great shame. The community need public spirited individuals who are prepared to stand up and be counted and are not afraid of reporting illegal or anti social behaviour.

Yes, but Alice WAS afraid to "stand up and be counted" and actually was afraid of reporting illegal behaviour (and anti social behaviour) by not contacting the Police directly.

A female was assaulted, but hey, a bus shelter got cleaned.

Maybe if there's a murder tomorrow, we can get some decent Christmas lights.

<:<:<:<

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:37:20 am by Trojan »

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 08:28:51 am »
A couple of points.  The forum is indeed for light-hearted banter but it's also here to be a potential force for change for the better in the local communities it serves. Topic side-tracking is a frequent issue that crops up, and Dave and I keep an eye on all the topics to see if the asides are taking over the topic or becoming the topic.  If it's the latter, I split the topic and shunt the asides into 'Games and Jokes", which seems to work reasonably well. 

Some topics, however, are important enough to warrant serious and aside-free debates, and in the case of the Policing Matters topic, where we've been lucky enough to have a serving Police Officer become involved, then I think we have to respect the fact that the topic in question needs to become focussed and aside-free.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 08:46:50 am »
Alice, you witnessed a female being assaulted and you did not know who to call? Are you serious?

I can't speak for Alice, obviously, but there is some evidence that people think carefully before using the 999 system with incidents that are not obviously dangerous.  In the case in point, I'm wondering if the only 'evidence' of an assault was screaming, late at night, and whether this had become a regular occurrence near the shelter in question.   
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 03:29:17 pm »
As everyone in Conwy knows there are members of a certain family that routinely shakedown pub landlords in the area for 'protection money' in exchange for not smashing their windows in. And now we have a Conwy pub with their windows smashed in.

I have been told that his windows were put through purely and simply because Haydne refused entrance to a couple of lads. I don't know exactly which ones though.  Y'see what happens is these lads take a bag full of cocaine and suddenly think they're gangsters you can spot them a mile off, Their the ones with puffed out chests like amorous pidgeons and their hands are forever down the front of their track suit pants! They are not big enough or clever enough to offer protection they just think they are if only these individuals realised that their "coke" is mixed with worming tablets and Ketamin to achieve the desired instant effects (numb gums and needing a number 2 within 15mins, I know it's gross) Conwy and the surrounding area is absolutly rife. I appreciate that the police have discovered huge hauls of cocaine and the like over the last few months and it will have an impact on our communities but we need more hands on effective policing to tackle the small time dealers in our area that are inflicting the damage now on our young people.  If I were a police officer (with my record it would be impossible mind) I would start pulling the little fish from the pond too, there's nothing like seeing your mate going to prison to make you think twice, take my word for it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:15:57 pm by Pendragon »

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Yorkie

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 06:25:47 pm »
I am amazed - after all the hoo hah on another thread about informing the Police, here we have a situation where, according to Pandragon, EVERYONE in Conwy knows about these hooligans and who they are!  Why are they not being reported?    Why are the Police not doing something about it?   

If we are so keen to assist the local constabulary then let this be a good starting place rather than an untidy bus shelter!    >>>

If the Police are powerless then let the folk of Conwy start a group of Vigilantes and sort the little b******s out themselves.     ££$

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 07:11:05 pm »
I have banged on about the situation for months, years even.  When I chaired the pubsafe in Conwy 5/6 years ago I told the police the drug situation was getting out of hand and the landlords were becoming increasingly concerned. Two young pcs came to the Albion and I was told "if people were taking drugs in the pub the onus was on us! ". The people dealing these drugs HAVE got connections within the police force. Not for one second am I saying the police are involved but I AM saying civillians work within the admin departments and their the ones doing the majority of the paper work.  It's also one thing to know who these scroats are but entirely another to prove it and then make it stick. As for setting up a vigilant action group that too is illegal. Also whilst smashing windows is pretty pathetic  it can be very costly, very frightening and virtually impossible to apprehend the culprit as in the majority of cases the scr oat is wearing a hoody and its usualy dark when this type of offence occurs. There was a spate of windows getting smashed around 4 years ago in Conwy but again, although everyone knew who did it the police could not prove a thing.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 12:28:08 pm »
Every single incident should be reported. A record of calls made is recorded and is inspected periodically and then something has to be done about it.
The Police have a difficult job to do and with limited resources but sometimes you wonder where the priorities lie.  We discussed this under the previous forum when Llandudno Rugby Club had problems with vandalism etc.   As far as I can recall nothing effective was done by the Police to combat the trouble but if a group of the front row Rugby players were lying in wait to sort the vandals out you could bet your boots that the Police would be there within minutes!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 12:37:30 pm »
 As far as I can recall nothing effective was done by the Police to combat the trouble but if a group of the front row Rugby players were lying in wait to sort the vandals out you could bet your boots that the Police would be there within minutes!
Yes they would and then the rugby players would be at fault and probably face assult charges. Its very frustrating. For the police too I would think. There are some good coppers out there who must feel sometimes if they're not banging their heads on brick walls their getting tied up with red tape.

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 03:15:58 pm »
What I find sad is that the prosecution of that certain family in stated in another thread has to be done by Merseyside police as the local police force has been so compromised by the family in question. The Merseyside police have been building a very good case against the senior family member and putting real pressure on him (finally).

It's also a sad state of affairs when the former interim manager of the Blue Bell stood up to the protection money intimidation by calling in a bunch of his mates to stand guard against threatened wndow smashing. But the police heard about the stand off and moved the interim manager on! Its as if the police are indeed siding with said local hoodlum gang.