Author Topic: Police Effectiveness  (Read 68505 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Police Effectiveness
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:31:55 am »
There's a fair amount of debate about PCSOs at the moment.  What do we think of them?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Police Effectiveness
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:34:44 am »
They do perform a useful duty, if only in the sense of providing a visible presence on the streets, but whether that function could provided more economically in another way is up for debate. Seeing photos of them on Oscar's blog roller skating or building sandcastles certainly does them no favours.  :o

Offline Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:27:07 am »
I would have thought building  rapor with the general public, particularly youngsters, is an essential part of policing. Know your public, know what's going on.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:39:24 am »
I would have thought building  rapor with the general public, particularly youngsters, is an essential part of policing. Know your public, know what's going on.

I'm with you Dave on this one. If you want the public's support then you have to associate with them, and if this means participating in public social and business events, then that is the right thing to do. At least by doing these sort of things they are visible. The general criticism is that you never see them.     

"Damned if they do, damned if they don't".

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 06:13:00 pm »
They do perform a useful duty, if only in the sense of providing a visible presence on the streets, but whether that function could provided more economically in another way is up for debate. Seeing photos of them on Oscar's blog roller skating or building sandcastles certainly does them no favours.  :o
They do perform a useful duty.
A member of my family was a special last year, she was asked to do 16hrs a week. She enjoyed it at first however a few months in, they asked her to carry out a surveillance operation on a house, the problem was, she knew the occupants and they knew her.  Now considering the surveillance was for class A dealing from the premises, can you imagine the reprocussions of that, there she is sat in a police car round the corner,taking notes. surely if your required to do this type of thing it can't be in your local area.
She said most weeks she was doing the police paper work which theres mountains of.  Maybe thats why we hardly see them.  She has since left.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:53:30 am »
Its a bit like having our own version of "The Ferret" being  on here 

Now ther's a name to conjour with!    L0L  L0L  L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 05:49:27 pm »

?{}?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 05:50:25 pm »

?{}?
?{}?

Offline Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 05:59:32 pm »
Whilst I appreciate the sentiments of PC Smith I do not condone the request that Alice (whoever she may be) should be the eyes and the ears of HM Constabulary.   )*)&  

There is nothing better than seeing the long arm of the Law doing its work by showing their presence in and around the community.  They get trained and paid for it, WE are the ones who supply the money.   >>>

What a negative response to a really good bit of pro active policing. We might be the ones that supply the money (20% less soon) but we don't supply enough to cover everywhere at once.The police have always needed the help of the general public and always will.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:01:46 pm by Dave »

Alice

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 07:05:47 pm »
What a negative reponse indeed .
  I have contacted CBC  and Arriva and Adsel all by email and not one thing has been done about this situation in fact it seemed a case of just passing the buck ,not one of them wanted to take responsibilty for the shelter.
I am sorry Yorkie but I dont like seeing pensioners and mums with kids having to wait for a bus in such dirty surroundings or having to wait there and be subjected to unreasonable behavior and have to listen to foul language ,if by posting on here as was suggested in the following  paragraph
((((This thread has been set up at the request of PC2364 Mike Smith, who is the new Police Community Beat Manager for the Craig y Don, West Shore and Great Orme areas of Llandudno, in order that he can interact with residents on policing matters relating to those areas.)))) and getting something done about has upset you then perhaps this isnt the forum for me.

Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 07:24:38 pm »
Sorry Alice - my comments were not aimed at you, and I suggest you read it again.  I was objecting to the suggestion that you should basically be a full time informant as to what goes on in the shelter.

I quite agree that any help we get to improve our environment is worthwhile.

If I have offended you then I apologise unreservedly!

Offline Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 04:59:47 pm »
The Police have been using informers in one way, shape or form, ever since Sir Robert Peel formed The Met in 1829.

"I do not condone the request that Alice (whoever she may be)"  I know what you really wanted to say here Yorkie!  :D

It's a pity this thread has been reduced to Roy Chubby Brown , who's level of humour is somewhere between the toilet pan and the sewer.

I have a feeling this thread might have just run aground as a result and it's a great shame. The community need public spirited individuals who are prepared to stand up and be counted and are not afraid of reporting illegal or anti social behaviour.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »

I might be wrong but I thought this Forum was a light hearted view of current goings on in and around our communities. "People who want to stand up and be counted,...not afraid of reporting illegal or anti-social bahaviour" already have a site and a phone number its called Crime Stoppers.  I know that sounds flippant but I think Trojan was only making a joke Dave.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:36:24 pm by Pendragon »
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Dave

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 05:30:15 pm »
The community need public spirited individuals who are prepared to stand up and be counted and are not afraid of reporting illegal or anti social behaviour.

There are many Public Spirited individuals in the Community, but I think a lot of them are disappointed with the quality of policing that we are receiving for the very large amount of money it costs.  And yet at the next turn they are wanting us to almost do their jobs for them.   I don't mind reporting crime when I see it but often reports of crime go unheeded and all one gets is an Incident Number but no positive action is taken.  Just ask the many people who have had burglaries or who have had their car vandalised or broken into. 

The Police nowadays are burdened with paperwork and the need for political correctness and do not have the time to deal with the plethora of incidents in the community.   The only thing they are good at is using their cameras and radar guns to catch the erring motorist.

Although some of the points you make maybe valid a negative stance towards any positive initiative will certainly not bring about any change

Offline Dave

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 05:44:16 pm »

It's a pity this thread has been reduced to Roy Chubby Brown , who's level of humour is somewhere between the toilet pan and the sewer.

I have a feeling this thread might have just run aground as a result and it's a great shame. The community need public spirited individuals who are prepared to stand up and be counted and are not afraid of reporting illegal or anti social behaviour.
I might be wrong but I thought this Forum was a light hearted view of current goings on in and around our communities. "People who want to stand up and be counted,...not afraid of reporting illegal or anti-social bahaviour" already have a site and a phone number its called Crime Stoppers.  I know that sounds flippant but I think Trojan was only making a joke Dave.

I'm sure Trojan was making a joke, although not a particularly funny one.I wasn't too impressed with the implication that there is something unworthy of "informers"
Crimestoppers is only one means of communicating with the police. Lots of people are not sure that their "problem" is worthy of reporting. PC Smith has obviously identified that in local forums such as this, individuals are more likely to discuss issues that they feel unable to deal with personally. In this particular case anti social behaviour in a bus shelter. I can understand why Alice was reluctant to phone 999 and I am delighted to see that as a result of this forum some action was taken and the problem hopefully resolved for good.
In term of this forum being a light hearted view of current goings on, well in some things it may well be and should be but I hardly think implications of political corruption and the like fall in to that category. There are not that many regular contributors to the forum, I'm certainly not, but,In my humble opinion, contributors should be encouraged and not be made the butt of a unfunny joke .

Edit: I sorted out the problem with the quotes. DaveR
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:10:22 pm by DaveR »