Author Topic: Pubs of Conwy  (Read 36163 times)

Ian

• Administrator
Re: Pubs of Conwy
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
I like the bit about 'interchangeable meals"...   _))*
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Pendragon

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, 11:29:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah what are interchangeable meals?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Pendragon

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »
I was talking to Ken the landlord in the Bluebell the other day, he was telling me some of the history regarding the pub. He was told that the Bluebell used to be a court and they used to hang guilty culprits in the building.  He doesn't believe this to be true but I may have uncovered the answer as to where the notion may have evolved having read an old paperback book from Rob Pritchard.

On the east side of Castle Street is the Bluebell Inn, where was annually held during the 18th century (1700-1800) the Court Leet of the Crown Manor of Nant Conway, the twelve jurors of which were entertained to an excellent dinner at the expense of the reigning Sovereign, who was represented by the Steward of the Manor.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »

I prefer the the phone number ... the fact that there were only 13 phones in Conwy!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Pendragon

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »
September the 9th 1799 another Landlord Owen Owens was granted a license to sell ale in his pub called the
Pen y Grissia, Conway
Now I haven't a clue where this is Pen Y Grissia - Top of the steps? I've never heard or found any reference to it before.
The other problem I have is I can find so far no reference whatsoever to the Albion before 1890.  I wonder if it was called something entirely different before it's rebuild in the  1920s.  Although I do have (and its further up the page) a photo of the Albion when it was 3 storeys?  Dave what age do you think that photo is so I can narrow down my search.

Pendragon

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
Could it refer to the Old Wheelhouse maybe?

DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
Might it be Pen Y Grisiau?

I'm thinking that photo was taken around 1900?

Pendragon

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »
Might it be Pen Y Grisiau?

I'm thinking that photo was taken around 1900?
It was printed Penygrissia all one word although it's not is it.

So if the photo is 1900 that's almost 20years until the rebuild, why no reference to it then  ?{}?

Bri Roberts

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
The Foresters Arms (Gyffin, now a private house)

Currently up for sale:

Pendragon

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 06:18:08 PM »
The Foresters Arms (Gyffin, now a private house)

Currently up for sale:

I was only talking to a fella about this the other day.  In theory you could get a premises License  ;D

DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
I checked with the Land Registry today - the Albion is still owned by Punch Partnerships Limited.

Pendragon

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »
Aaaah  $angry$  $angry$

I give up  >?>??

but then why would they remove the metal door and window cover?  I reckon the sale is still going through

gazwil

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »
Just checking but I believe the Harp on High St. was situated right next to the Castle Hotel- across the alley where the sweet shop is now. There is a photo of a march past in front of the harp in the bar of the Castle. The pub was demolished just before the last war and had been leased out from the Glynllifon Estate. I have a copy of the lease from the 1920s and a postcard of High St. showing the pub.

martin

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
I have just been watching the local BBC news and they mentioned something about micro breweries and the re-opening of the Albion in Conwy.  Does anyone have any information on this or was I seeing/hearing things?  Z**

dwsi

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
you can see a chopped down version of the report again here -> BBC News - Tax break boosts micro brewery numbers in Wales You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login