Author Topic: Your Favourite Photos of Llandudno  (Read 37853 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Your Favourite Photos of Llandudno
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »
Don't worry about it Spotty Dog I've done a lot worse very recently but thankfully I didn't run out of time and was able to modify my posting.
Otherwise I'd have been begging for Ian's help to sort it all out      ;D

I've attached a photo of a flood in 1932 on the northern side of the town in Clonmel Street so you can see that what our parents were telling us was quite true

Another photo I've got is of the North Shore beach, now apart from the old plane can you notice anything different ?   

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2019, 06:16:25 pm »
I have not seen that photo before, was it a serious fire ?      and the plane  $good$    I wonder how much the car reg. is worth today ?

Offline mull

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2019, 06:21:02 pm »
West Shore water outlets.

When stopping at my parents about 1980 I can recall taking the dog out for a walk about midnight. This was along the front above the steps in the area opposite LLoyd Street West .There was a loud bang a yellow light started flashing and suddenly a large volume of water was discharged on to the beach from an outlet that was there at that time.
Would this be one of the streams mentioned earlier in this post ?

The stone breakwater is in this location now so is there another outlet for this water ?
I can recall in the early 1990s there was a large work area set up on the grassed area for a while.
 Was this in connection with the water works ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2019, 06:44:51 pm »
I have not seen that photo before, was it a serious fire ?      and the plane  $good$    I wonder how much the car reg. is worth today ?

I'm not certain but could that fire be a steamer.?   I can remember that they made a lot of smoke in those days

Did you spot the difference in the photo between then and now Steve?      Must be the easiest one of my easy quiz questions      ;D

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2019, 07:22:39 pm »
Sorry two senior moments, never thought of a steamer, and after a bit of searching and measuring the pier, I saw the sand...... :-[

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2019, 09:03:12 pm »
John Jones who has the donkeys reminded me a few years ago about us playing football on the sand close to the pier in the late 50s early60s.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2019, 10:45:13 pm »
Sorry two senior moments, never thought of a steamer, and after a bit of searching and measuring the pier, I saw the sand...... :-[

Well spotted Steve,  the sandy beach must still  be somewhere underneath all that quarry waste that is there now.     Llandudno is a beautiful resort that has been carefully developed over decades only for a small number of Councillors to destroy two beaches within a few years.

Just imagine that plane trying to land on the present North Shore beach now, it would certainly have a bumpy, or should I say a rocky landing

Offline Helig

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2019, 10:29:31 am »
Just to say that my mother (b1923) used to speak about the two seas meeting in Gloddaeth Avenue. That was when she was young. She lived in St David's Place and the house had a cellar which used to fill with water at times as well.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2019, 12:57:17 pm »
I believe that a lot of properties with basements had problems with flooding and in fairly recent times too but their problems weren't caused by the sea coming over , it was more from the drains.
In fact when I was a teenager I was in a rush to get down the steps in the toilets at Bog Island and jumped the last 3 steps straight into about a foot of water      :o