Author Topic: Questions about shops, pubs, cafes and chippies  (Read 70378 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Questions about shops, pubs, cafes and chippies
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2014, 08:59:36 pm »
            Hugo, mentioning the Archway Chippie in the same thread as "Greasy Lil's" is sacrilege! I can clearly remember the two sisters and also the "Eggman", who I think was married to one of them and was from Penrhynside and used to drive a green Austin A55 van. We only ever used to go there only if every other chippie in town was shut and then only with a certain amount of trepidation as I got I right hiding from a local "hardman" and his mates late one Saturday night who thought I was somebody else and then when he realised his mistake apologised profusely and offered to buy me some chips as a peace offering!
           While we are on the subject of old chippies can anybody remember the one in Bodafon Street behind the Savoy cinema which I think used to be called "Harry's"?
           By the way the walk you described recently up the Gribyn is a great walk/scramble and the photos were excellent. We did it the other way round many years ago  by going up Bristly Ridge and then back down the Gribyn to Ogwen Cottage.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2014, 06:15:31 pm »

While we are on the subject of old chippies can anybody remember the one in Bodafon Street behind the Savoy cinema which I think used to be called "Harry's"?
When we used to go to the Savoy Cinema we would use the emergency doors at the back and go out that way to the Chippie.
We also used the same emergency door to get into the Savoy when  one of our gang would actually pay to get in and he would then open the door and about half a dozen others would be waiting outside ready to get in for  free.      :-[   

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2014, 07:00:46 pm »
Tut tut.... &shake&

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:27 pm »
  I expect you all know the American style diner in Mostyn street that got such a terrible press after it opened. And it's trip adviser reviews were  even worse.
   But never mind, it hasent put them off. The old Marsh, also once called the Marsh Warden, in Rhuddlan is now being comprehensively stripped down to its bare roots prior to opening under the same name and style. They are brave. It's right next door to a travel lodge restaurant and either a Pizza Hut or a KFC, I'm not sure which.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2014, 09:13:30 am »
  I expect you all know the American style diner in Mostyn street that got such a terrible press after it opened. And it's trip adviser reviews were  even worse.
   But never mind, it hasent put them off. The old Marsh, also once called the Marsh Warden, in Rhuddlan is now being comprehensively stripped down to its bare roots prior to opening under the same name and style. They are brave. It's right next door to a travel lodge restaurant and either a Pizza Hut or a KFC, I'm not sure which.
I wondered about that too, Mike. The restaurant next door (Table Table) is pretty good for a chain restaurant and the KFC is always very busy. I'm not sure Harveys can stand up to the competition there.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2014, 02:16:16 pm »
1 Mostyn Street has been rented out to Starbucks