Author Topic: Questions about shops, pubs, cafes and chippies  (Read 70277 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Questions about shops, pubs, cafes and chippies
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2014, 04:22:56 pm »
Sorry.

I hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere.  ££$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2014, 05:09:08 pm »
What about Music Makers in Colwyn Bay?

http://www.music-makers.biz/
Valar Morghulis

Offline Kearsley Maghull

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2014, 05:18:40 pm »
Sorry.

I hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere.  ££$

No apology needed Sir, things change.

Thanks for the good wishes, as I said earlier would take me seconds to order online BUT I will always try to buy from a local business where possible.

Maghull

Offline Kearsley Maghull

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »
What about Music Makers in Colwyn Bay?

http://www.music-makers.biz/

OOO smart (says 'Brass & Woodwind' too) I will go have a look next week.

Thanks

Maghull

Offline systema

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2014, 09:20:51 pm »
When we bought our new house in Llandudno we tried to buy our furniture from a local furniture shop (not a chain shop) thinking we would be doing the local  economy a good turn.  Bed - delivery 4 weeks they said  - then 6 then 8 then when they told us 12 we cancelled as we were now sleeping on a blow up bed and bought from a chain store in Mostyn Park -   Same with a chest of drawers - linen etc was in a box in the bathroom.  Ikea was next week delivery but we wanted "real" wood.
Shutters - no we can't do them - so went to J.Lewis in Chester although the delivery was 12 weeks we knew this  - nobody was interested  in the local area to do or find out about them.
Carpets - again J Lewis came out from Chester and did them immediately -  whole house - worth lots of money but local were not anywhere near the time limit or service.
So when we wanted other things we just went to Chester and  picked out a sideboard and freezer etc and they were with us within 2 days.

Tried hard with LLandudno suppliers but not good service.

Offline paulc

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2014, 12:42:00 pm »
Hi Folks, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place but I'm new to the Forum and this is my first post.

A friend of mine moved into a house in Llandundo last year which came with an outbuilding which he has been told used to be a chippy. The "shop front" of the building is on Brookes St. Several people have mentioned that it used to be "Greasy Lil's"? I'm presuming this was a local nickname for it? Any info about its history or stories about its time as a chippy would be much appreciated, and if anyone knows if there are any photos of it when it was still a chippy anywhere then that would be fantastic.

Many thanks.

Paul C.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2014, 07:57:20 pm »
Johney,the eggman and his wife ran the chippy and her sister,thick Irish,only place that did beans and sausage in batter.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2014, 09:32:32 pm »
Johney,the eggman and his wife ran the chippy and her sister,thick Irish,only place that did beans and sausage in batter.

'thick Irish' ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2014, 10:53:44 pm »
When I was in the Boys Brigade, one of the men in charge ran the chippy.   I can't seem to remember his real name but he was nick named Hitler so he must have been quite strict in the drill parade.
He must have been a nice person though as we always went there for fish & chips after BB  and it was always handy when we were in Llandudno Youth Centre which was  just around the corner

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:40 pm »
a gang of us lads had our last drink in the albert on a foul wet night and decided to go for chips on the way home,so we went to greasy lils,as you may remember the ordering area would only take about four people at a time you ordered then stood out side till it was ready.the owner was frying and the other lady sat down talking to the eggman,on top of the range was two cats,suddenly one of the cats got up and pi**ed on the top and the pee dripped into the boiling fat which started spitting,meanwhile lil kept on shaking the basket and talking across to the eggman,the next thing to happen was one of us started to heave up then another then another in the end we were all honking outside in the rain,there must have been twelve of us ill,needless to say there was no takers for chips that night nor I believe in the future.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 08:21:54 am »
a gang of us lads had our last drink in the albert on a foul wet night and decided to go for chips on the way home,so we went to greasy lils,as you may remember the ordering area would only take about four people at a time you ordered then stood out side till it was ready.the owner was frying and the other lady sat down talking to the eggman,on top of the range was two cats,suddenly one of the cats got up and pi**ed on the top and the pee dripped into the boiling fat which started spitting,meanwhile lil kept on shaking the basket and talking across to the eggman,the next thing to happen was one of us started to heave up then another then another in the end we were all honking outside in the rain,there must have been twelve of us ill,needless to say there was no takers for chips that night nor I believe in the future.
:laugh:  :laugh: Great story!!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 02:27:11 pm »
I remember seeing the older lady (Thick Irish?) frying up a fresh batch of chips. She picked one out and chewed on it to see if it was soft enough, it was still quite hard so she tossed it back into the fryer and carried on cooking it!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »
Some people have no shame, I remember about 2 years ago a young lad came in the Legion and asked me if it was legal to pour slops from the drip tray into your pint.  I told him no it wasn't.  He said he'd been down the pub (Now got different owners) and caught the landlady topping his pint up from the slops.  When he questioned her she said "what's the problem, I cleaned them out this morning" and then threatened to bar him if he kicked off  :o
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 08:00:08 pm »
I've just come back from the Archways Chippie in Conwy after having the OAP'S special and it was as delicious as ever.       $good$

$dins$