Author Topic: Everything Hotpoint  (Read 24426 times)

Offline BrianP

Everything Hotpoint
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:19:04 pm »
This newspaper cutting from the sixties?, shows Miss Una Hack being presented a Hotpoint Supermatic Washing machine, which she helped to make, by Mr Derek Pritchard chairman of the A.E.I. Ex-servicemen's Association. Also in the picture are Mr. J. A Berry general manager of the Dolgarrog Aluminium Corporation, Mr T. G. Wrighton A.E.I.-Hotpoint works manager and Mr L. Wells personnel manager & secretary of the Ex-servicemen's Association.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:30:47 pm by DaveR »

Offline Trojan

Re: Hotpoint Supermatic Washer Prize Winner, Miss Una Hack
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »
I believe the Supermatic Twin Tub was launched in the early 1960's. The dryer looks tiny - just about fit a pair of socks and underwear in that thing.  :laugh:

http://youtu.be/Mvs1aJ7ES60

The other article referring to Alun Jones being drunk in charge of a pedal cycle made me laugh.  :cyclist40:

Offline Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:55:24 pm »
My Mum was convinced by the local electrical shop to trial an Hoovermatic Twin tub whilst her washing machine with hand wringer was away for service. She thought it very nice but decided against splashing out on the new technology. Cheeky salesman had been so convinced she'd buy one he'd already sold hers so she bought one after all.
Hoover must have pioneered the concept as this was in the late 50's if I remember correctly.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:10:07 pm »
This is most probably Summer, 1963 as the little article in the corner mentions a man from Ffordd Morfa being done for riding a bike under the influence. He states that he had been to the Eisteddfod and had a few and then attempted to cycle home. The eisteddfod was held in Llandudno in 1963 (Llanelli the year before and Swansea the year after).

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:11:50 pm »
Our household had a machine similar to this Hotpoint Empress when I was young.

The mangle was removed in the '70's when my Mother progressed to a Frigidaire spin dryer.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:15:58 pm »
This is most probably Summer, 1963 as the little article in the corner mentions a man from Ffordd Morfa being done for riding a bike under the influence. He states that he had been to the Eisteddfod and had a few and then attempted to cycle home. The eisteddfod was held in Llandudno in 1963 (Llanelli the year before and Swansea the year after).[/quote

Unless he rode his bike from Llanelli to Llandudno Ian.  8)

Seriously, I believe you could be right.  :)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »
a man from Ffordd Morfa being done for riding a bike under the influence. He states that he had been to the Eisteddfod and had a few and then attempted to cycle home. The eisteddfod was held in Llandudno in 1963

I cannot believe he got drunk at the National Eisteddfod in 1963 as the event was teetotal.

Offline BrianP

Hotpoint: Miss Hotpoint, Miss Pat Owens
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »
North Wales Weekly News Cutting from 19 August 1954, 'Coldrator' Club Sports Meeting. Officials and employees at the Llandudno Junction factory of the International Refrigerator Co. Ltd., joined by their families, forget about production on Saturday. Miss Betty Cox age 19, won the 'Miss Coldrator' title.

Offline BrianP

Hotpoint: Miss Hotpoint, Miss Pat Owens
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:35 pm »
Miss Hotpoint Pat Owens, around1964/5. Photograph taken at the Hotpoint Social Club, Victoria Drive, Llandudno Junction
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:47:00 am by Ian »

Offline BrianP

Miss Coldrator 1857, from the 'Topic'
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:21 pm »
Hotpoint Social & Sports Day 1957, at Woodlands School, Llandudno Junction.  Mrs. T.G.Wrighton, wife of works manager, presenting a trophy to Mr Derek Pritchard. Miss Coldrator 1957 ? name unknown.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Miss Coldrator 1857, from the 'Topic'
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:43 pm »
Only read the headline----fridges 150 years ago? OOps

Offline Trojan

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 02:05:54 am »
a man from Ffordd Morfa being done for riding a bike under the influence. He states that he had been to the Eisteddfod and had a few and then attempted to cycle home. The eisteddfod was held in Llandudno in 1963

I cannot believe he got drunk at the National Eisteddfod in 1963 as the event was teetotal.

He had been to the Eisteddfod Bri, then met a friend and had got drunk. Probably in a pub/pubs around town.

He should have taken lessons from Ronnie Atherton Snr (RIP).

He could drink 18 pints and still ride a bike in a straight line.  $00$

Offline Trojan

Re: 'Coldrator' Club Sports Meeting August 1954
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 02:16:41 am »
Betty Cox, I wonder if it's the same Mrs Cox that lived in Council Street in the 1970's when she was married with children?

Her face is the spit of what could be her siblings, Michael, Doreen, etc. (just trying to remember the others)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Miss Hotpoint, Miss Pat Owens
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 02:44:50 am »
Is that you also in the photo, BrianP?

Offline BrianP

Re: Hotpoint: Miss Hotpoint, Miss Pat Owens
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:15 pm »
Yes, thats me