Author Topic: Financial matters  (Read 131744 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Financial matters
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:40 am »
I can't help but notice that the price of very basic things is increasing at an alarming rate.
I got a real shock when I accompanied Mrs Fester around Asda this week...and then other independent shops around town.
Since when did a packet of crisps become 55p?   Or a single bar of chocate become 55p to 65p?
A pint of lager I bought last night had been increased for the THIRD time in a few months ... always by 10p each time.

This is despite one of the Govt's inflation measures being negative,  and the other being in small single figures per annum.
It is also BEFORE the VAT increase, which will only exacerbate the situation.

Has anyone else noticed this?   
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Price Inflation
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 01:37:33 am »
Been going on for ages.

Its called RIP OFF Britain.

If people are stupid enough to pay more than £1 for a cup of coffee they deserve to be ripped off.
Coffee  is just one item there are many more similar products.

We need to wake up and stop paying stupid prices.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 08:21:42 am »
What people sometimes forget is the enormous costs that businesses in the UK face, particularly in regard to property costs (rent and rates) and complying with ever increasing reams of legislation. Many local business owners work very hard indeed, in return for a not very large profit. Cutting their prices significantly would mean them going out of business.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:44 am »
Exactly, if small shops were not over charged by such high business rates and high rents then more would stay open and could pass on lower prices. For donkey's years there have been empty shops because of high rents and I always thought surely its better to receive a lower rent than no rent at all?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:55 am »
Even worse is the fact that property owners are liable for full business rates even on empty premises, so not only are they not receiving rent, they're also having to pay out a substantial sum in rates every year, to the tune of £30,000 a year+ if we're talking about larger shops along Mostyn Street.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 09:06:04 am »
What people sometimes forget is the enormous costs that businesses in the UK face, particularly in regard to property costs (rent and rates) and complying with ever increasing reams of legislation.

Indeed.  And it's getting worse.

Small businesses are often hit badly in recession, too; folk are less likely to pop into a cafe and spend a tenner on coffee and cakes.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 09:50:28 am »
Even worse is the fact that property owners are liable for full business rates even on empty premises, so not only are they not receiving rent, they're also having to pay out a substantial sum in rates every year, to the tune of £30,000 a year+ if we're talking about larger shops along Mostyn Street.

and as a result some nice old buildings get demolished and we all lose out (yet again!)  :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 10:03:53 am »
One good thing is that business rates are not payable on Listed Buildings that are unoccupied.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 11:31:53 am »
Since when did a packet of crisps become 55p? 

They're not.  On the website, they're 15p.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 12:25:31 pm »
One good thing is that business rates are not payable on Listed Buildings that are unoccupied.

none payable on the Pavilion then!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
Indeed! I did look to see and it was not listed. The Pier has a rateable value of £115,000 and the Grand Hotel has a rateable value of £207,500, which equates to business rates payable of £47,035 and £84,867 respectively.  :o

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 01:36:42 pm »
horrifying amounts  :o  and if I remember correctly don't business rates go directly to the  National Govenment (London or Cardiff? ) and not to the local council?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »
That's right, and that's why local Authorities are very limited in providing any help in reducing the amounts. WAG has actually provided some useful relief on business rates for smaller businesses, in that business premises with a rateable value up to £6,000 will receive 100% relief and those with a rateable value between £6,001 and £12,000 will receive relief that will be reduced on a tapered basis from 100% to zero.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 05:29:29 pm »
We are getting well off the point Guys.

I know WHY the prices are rising .. I am facing that pressure too in my miniscule business ...(both rent and VAT increase to come)
What I'm banging on about is the extent of it..  and WHY official government figures are not giving the true picture.

The 55p crisps example came from a local newsagent ..
The 15p crisps you refer to were on sale in both Asda and Home Bargains for TEN PENCE earlier this year.
Thats a 50% increase no matter how you look at it.

I seem to recall unrest and blockades very recently due to Petrol increases which were threatening to go to £1.00 per litre.
Well, now its 20% higher than that,  and no one makes a peep!

Its getting quite scary...

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 08:16:04 pm »
Fester----my friend and fellow forum reader/writer----I hate it contradicting you,of all people, again. However, I must point out that the fuel blockades you mention were ten years ago, almost to the day. And, actually, fuel is now at about the same price it was two years ago. Before you shout RUBBISH, just check me out.  Now, if you want to mention the price of beer sold over a pub counter-------now thats a different matter!!!