Author Topic: Financial matters  (Read 129177 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Financial matters
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:34:31 am »
he UK's top tax man has refused to apologise after taking the wrong amount of tax from six million people.

Dave Hartnett, Permanent Secretary at her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, claimed media stories of blunders and IT failures were wrong.

And he warned those who owed £2,000 or more in back tax they would have just over three months to repay it in full. Speaking exclusively to Radio 4's Money Box programme, Mr Hartnett said: "I'm not sure I see a need to apologise."

He added: "I've read the papers, listened to the media and heard stories of HMRC blunders and IT failure - neither of those are true."

He said the 5.7 million letters that he would be sending out to taxpayers before Christmas were the result of a normal process of matching the tax deducted from each taxpayer with their circumstances. He confirmed that 1.4 million people would be told they had extra tax to pay. And he revealed that those who owed the most tax would have the least time to pay.
HMRC coding notice Some taxpayers can expect more letters and tax returns from HMRC in the coming months

"Those [who owe] more than £2,000… will be given an opportunity to pay based on a notice from us, or, failing that, they will be brought within self-assessment. People who enter self-assessment are expected to pay within three months and a little bit more."

Those owing below £2,000 will have the money deducted from their pay or pension over 12 months, or three years in cases of hardship. Mr Hartnett said that system would apply to "more than 80%" of those who owed money. But he defended the tighter deadline for the biggest bills.

"I think owing the most may actually mean they're earning the most… I think it's very unlikely that a low earner will owe us more than £2,000 as a result of the process we're going through."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Tax
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:24:37 am »
The apparent arrogance of some of these people at times defies belief!

HMRC appear to be a body which makes mistakes and then insists it is your and my fault!! Who else would get away with that one?

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:02:43 pm »
Well what a surprise! His statement earlier has brought such a reaction that Mr Hartnett has now said he "is deeply sorry".
Speculation is that the Chancellor has 'leaned on him' - personally I think someone should have 'flattened him' and especially so if I get one of the promised letters.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:12 am »
HMRC are a law unto themselves, why don't we scrap them.  :D  ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:44:42 am »
personally I think someone should have 'flattened him' and especially so if I get one of the promised letters.
_))* _))*

In think quite a few will sympathise with that view, Stan.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:54:38 pm »
In what other walk of life could this happen?
How can mistakes by HMRC be laid at the door of those simplistic people who it affected?
Its hard enough these days earning an honest living, and those who do kind of get accutomed to what their wage is, and budget accordingly.
They may even put a little aside each week, like the Govt have always recommened....for a weekend at the seaside?

Then, due to some overpaid, (and under qualified) buffoons, there is the unbearable shock that you owe the taxman EVEN MORE !

I calculated last year, that because of my high tax band, plus council tax and allowing for VAT, that I have to work until July 20th before I earn one penny for myself ...and now thats getting even worse...and I HAVE HAD ENOUGH ....I'M SICK OF IT !
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:12:23 am »
I think most would agree with you.

Yorkie

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:57:55 am »
One of the main problems in my mind is that too many people do not understand their own tax situation, even if they are on pure old PAYE.  ))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:48:08 pm »
Hi Yorkie,
It was good to meet you (and Mrs Yorkie) the other day..

I understand a lot about taxation, my own and others, direct and indirect ...I studied it in earlier life and I have advised others in recent years.

However, the burden increases incessantly, in line with the underlying decline in the economy.
It is needed to pay for all the free-loaders , ficticious kids and other examples of the benefit system's abuse and mis-management.

As we create and export less, we tax ourselves more ..and this is how I feel about it,    :puke2: :puke2: ..because its not my fault.
Fester...

Yorkie

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 11:36:21 am »
I hope you've made good provision for your retirement!  Without a private pension to supplement the State handout life could be very difficult indeed.    :paranoid: :paranoid:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 09:01:02 pm »
Not sure if that reply was for me personally ....but MY answer is YES ..and NO.

Yes, I was in a very cushy pension scheme for 25 years, and it WAS non-contributary, and it WAS index linked.

No ... because that scheme became frozen when I left the company ... and I watch its value dwindle yearon year now.

It might just buy me a bag of chips in 2029 when its due to pay out !

Z@@ Z@@ Z@@ Z@@ Z@@ Z@@ Z@@
Fester...

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 04:52:26 pm »
How can mistakes by HMRC be laid at the door of those simplistic people who it affected?
Its hard enough these days earning an honest living, and those who do kind of get accutomed to what their wage is, and budget accordingly.
They may even put a little aside each week, like the Govt have always recommened....for a weekend at the seaside?

Then, due to some overpaid, (and under qualified) buffoons, there is the unbearable shock that you owe the taxman EVEN MORE !

I calculated last year, that because of my high tax band, plus council tax and allowing for VAT, that I have to work until July 20th before I earn one penny for myself ...and now thats getting even worse...and I HAVE HAD ENOUGH ....I'M SICK OF IT !

Fester
It's a good thing that i am prevented from commenting on the subject but I feel I must question the remark ''overpaid (and under qualified buffoons)''
Is that just HMRC that have this honour that you refer to (in your rather 'under qualified' opinion')? Or do VAT, DWP & the Benefits agency get your utter disapproval too?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 10:13:02 pm »

Fester
It's a good thing that i am prevented from commenting on the subject but I feel I must question the remark ''overpaid (and under qualified buffoons)''
Is that just HMRC that have this honour that you refer to (in your rather 'under qualified' opinion')? Or do VAT, DWP & the Benefits agency get your utter disapproval too?

...Scott!  .. and I thought you were a friend of mine!

But I will answer your point directly.

When mistakes of such enormous and wide-reaching consequence are made, they are inevitably made by very Senior people.  Therefore, because they failed on fat salaries, they are by definition OVERPAID.
They are also incompetent. (therefore Buffoons)
This is true of ANY organisation, including the NHS, Benefits Agency, HMRC etc.

Its also true of NON Government organisations... i.e. private business where I spent my whole career.
The difference is, in private business, you fail, you get the boot......in Public service, it gets covered up, apologised for... and an early fat pension beckons.

But this is NOT a swipe at frontline, hardworking HMRC or NHS staff.  They are not overpaid, or buffoons ... so don't get defensive on me!

Fester...

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »
Ok cool no problem because as I said I am prevented from expressing my opinion on the subject but you are entitled to express yours.

The frontline staff in such jobs as you quite rightly point out are hard working and definitely not overpaid....I must admit though in nearly 30 years I thought I'd heard just about everything but I've never before been called a buffoon.....but will I need a 'bit' bigger salary before I actually qualify for that status?

I wasn't getting at you personally (as if I would)...ok maybe just a tad to see if you took the bait .......................... ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 11:35:32 pm »
Scotty!  Beam me up please to where you are ...

Because you know full well that I said that frontline staff are not the buffoons.

Ask yourself this question ... how many times have YOU seen new systems, or new procedures handed down from above, with no consultation and inadequate training.   Have YOU never referred to those responsible as overpaid buffoons?

Now we are in agreement.   ZXZ ZXZ
Fester...