Author Topic: Llandudno Pubs Gone But Not Forgotten  (Read 109391 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Pubs Gone But Not Forgotten
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2011, 09:32:50 am »
Yes-- same shape !
The land to the right of the row of white buildings was a municiple gardens.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »
EErr, has this thread gone a bit astray. "Llandudno Pubs Gone but Not Forgotten"    The last seven or eight posts are about chapels. Not that I'm bothered, I have used both in my time , one group more than another but I'm not telling which

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2017, 05:51:27 pm »
Anyone know where the Birmingham Arms was? Z** ZXZ
Micox

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2017, 07:04:11 pm »
Before my time, Mike, but it was on Mostyn Street.  I recall being told it was in the vicinity of where Sumners/Arnold's was, could be wrong though.  It was established in the 1860s but presumably had gone by the Great War.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2017, 08:26:02 am »
 The Stanley was the roughest pub in town in the 1960s. Partly because you could get into the back door off the narrow entry that runs behind all the shops in Mostyn street. So anyone who didn’t want to broadcast where they were drinking went in via the back door
   How did I know? Because a lady I was having a very steamy affair with in the mid 1960s was a close friend of the landlady

Offline Hugo

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2017, 01:29:56 pm »
Naughty boy Mike     $smack$

I remember going into the public bar in the Stanley when I was a teenager one Christmas time.    When I went in to the public bar from the back street there was no one there but the lounge bar was packed and everyone seemed to be enjoying the Christmas festivities.
I ordered a pint of Double Diamond and noted that there was a hospitality tray there with 11 mince pies on it.
Now I'm rather partial to a mince pie so I helped myself to them and by the time I had finished my pint, I had also finished the mince pies too, all 11 of them so it was time to make a quick exit through the back door

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2017, 11:12:38 am »
Anyone know where the Birmingham Arms was? Z** ZXZ

You can see it on the right in this Francis Ffrith photo:
https://www.francisfrith.com/uk/llandudno/llandudno-mostyn-street-1890_23246

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2017, 10:53:59 am »
Naughty boy Mike     $smack$

I remember going into the public bar in the Stanley when I was a teenager one Christmas time.    When I went in to the public bar from the back street there was no one there but the lounge bar was packed and everyone seemed to be enjoying the Christmas festivities.
I ordered a pint of Double Diamond and noted that there was a hospitality tray there with 11 mince pies on it.
Now I'm rather partial to a mince pie so I helped myself to them and by the time I had finished my pint, I had also finished the mince pies too, all 11 of them so it was time to make a quick exit through the back door

Offline Cavernite

« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2018, 12:32:48 pm »
Great pic f the Steam Packet. But I remember it a bit later when it was an Ansell's pub (?) and it was orange and brown. Also good to see a bit of the old National Milk Bar to the right.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2018, 01:02:06 pm »
Prior to that it was called the Stanley and that's where I was caught out by my father for under age drinking.   I remember it also for one Christmas Day many many years ago when I went to the public bar for a drink.
The public bar was empty but everyone was in the lounge bar which was packed solid.  So there was only me in the bar along with the hospitality tray that had 11 mince pies on it.      I'm rather partial to a mince pie so by the time I had finished my pint of Double Diamond the mince pies had all gone, quickly followed by me.       :-[

Offline Hugo

« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2018, 01:38:31 pm »
My first ever drink in a pub was in the Clock in Mostyn Street,  I went into the public bar which had its entrance in Market Street and had half a pint of mild which cost me 7d, that's equivalent  to 3p  nowadays

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2018, 08:42:34 pm »
My mum used to work at the National Milk Bar and she was always popping next door to 'borrow' a cup of lager!

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2020, 04:18:21 pm »
 _))++One other I haven't seen mentioned is the Liverpool Arms. I believe it was on Upper Mostyn Street. It's in my family annals because my Nain (Rose Stallard snr) and my Taid (Fred Stallard) worked there at one time. Fred was also a renowned clog dancer who also worked on the pier in the 1920s/30s.  :565: $drink$ $drink$
Micox

Offline shnugs

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2020, 11:53:17 am »
I read this with a smile and this thread is the reason I joined. I was born in LLandudno, Oxford street and remember all the bars pubs and clubs. From early days getting a drink off the end of the pier I worked in the cafe and the old guy in the bar used to swap me a half for a sandwich. other places were the Links hotel at the back door there was a stable for horses. The cross keys madoc street and the summit pub where all young drinkers hung out if you could be bothered walking. The steam packet was one of my faves does anyone remember The captain the old guy who used to throw darts at the board precariously place above your head. The royal oak with suzy behind the bar its that place with the jukebox pushed me into music, everyone smelling of petuna oil. The london was cool, The Dolphin [worked there]. The parade,The speakeasy, The washington was a great place and Lemmy from motorhead played there as did Jimmy Page. Who remembers jumping in the back of a van by Bog island and heading to the Old Hall the only nightclub then staggering home passt the posh houses in craigside. Yep many  good and bad memories. well thats enough for now. just dipping my toe.
welsh and proud even though far away.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2020, 12:56:24 pm »
Good memories to have.   $good$