Author Topic: Llandudno Pubs Gone But Not Forgotten  (Read 109450 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Llandudno Pubs Gone But Not Forgotten
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:45:29 am »
Off the top of my head :-

Avondale
Harrington?
Stanley
Tudno
Clock
Spanish Bar in the Empire ....

Any more?

HAH!!

The Royal Oak, where i used to work........jesus...what a bleedin pub that was, great atmosphere, but by god some of the fights in there!!

Ah - The Wyngarth and the Travellers Club. Oases in the black expanses!

Heddwch.

Mike.
Micox

Yes, the 'Travellers'. Along with the 'Rendezvous Room' (or similar),part of the 'Cresent Hotel' I think.
.....Such dens of iniquity!

Just wondering if anyone in here DID frequent the oak before it closed in the early 90's

anyone remember the steampacket? saturday nights were never complete without last orders here. also the rhoslan in west shore and although not strictly a pub .the basement bar in tiffanies

Not forgetting the Rhoslan on the West Shore. I remember before it was a pub it was a small private school.

What is Tiffanies now? in fact what most of these watering holes?
Llandudno Trust

I remember the Steampacket. I was too young to drink there though. I did go to the Rhoslan once or twice.
Tiffany wine bar was more my time - early eighties. It was definitely on the Friday/Saturday crawl including The Kings Head, Plumes (was that the old Tudno) and the Loaf.
Tiffs was owned by Ray Gardener He lived on Craigside and had a recording studio in his house. His son Simon had a shot at pop stardom but it didn't really happen (a bit of a push with his pic in Smash Hits and that was it I think). My band recorded there.
Tiffs was the first place I saw a video jukebox. They sold Tennants Extra I seem to remember (or not to be more accurate). Although it was a basement bar it did spill upstairs at the weekend. It was incredibly busy. I think it's just a coffee shop now. Not sure. Anyone know?
EggLondon

Hi the answer is beachcomber was downstairs bar at the northwestern hotel, now the castle hotel and the 007 club was down the side street between what was Vollams post office and the Palladuim (which is now wetherspoons)
NorthWalesCpl

The Tiffanys video juke box - those were the days eh? It really was a cracking place then, I couldn't wait to get home on leave and visit.

In the late 80s in Tiffaneys, it always seemed to be Dire Straights Money for nothing on a loop.

what about the gresham and the old pier hotel many days and nights spent in the latter.
Talking of the 007 club do you remember the car they had to advertise the place
Pobo

Come on...there must be SOMEONE here, that used to go into the Royal Oak?

I used to go to the Royal Oak for a couple of pints before starting work in Winter Gardens, I loved that place.
Mike Savoy

Loved it....mmm... another hard man on the forum....were you a with or without person?? Crash helmet I mean/

Without of course, my helmet was in Winter Gardens, for when we had the kick offs, a good time had by all I think.
Mike Savoy

I used to drink in the Pier when I worked on the Pier, nice little pub, never set foot in the Lounge though (if there was one that is) John the owner/manager used to make sure that his regulars always had a drink on the bar as soon as you walked in, you took your turn after the first one, I used to stand at the far end of the bar with a bloke (older) called Billy, he used to work in the Golden Goose, there was another man who looked after the top amusement arcade, but cant remember his name at the moment, he had a full bushy beard. God I must be getting old as I cant remember anyone's name! who am I again??
Mike Savoy

Mike i think it was richie but I cant remember his surname .
Remember the roman room
Pobo

Yes!! it was Ritchie.

I do remember the Roman room, do you remember Mandy's Triology?? Mandy is living here in Jersey, it was funny when we first come across each other, we were both looking at each other trying to remember where we knew each other from, in the end it came to me.

Do you remember Jacko? used to work the pier with me and Will, plus others, I can see their faces but not their names.
Mike Savoy

I do remember mandys trilogy and for some reason que serra serra comes to mind it was always being sung as i walked in they served the best carlsberg export in the roman room.
Do you remember rhytm machine down stairs in the dolphin and beryl who ran the cafe god it hurt when she caught you scrounging grub esp her apple turnovers
Pobo

Yes, I worked with Beryl in Winter Gardens as well, I do not have a clue how she managed to get a job as a club manager, she used to be more bother when the lads were trying to throw people out and Beryl would be shouting at them and trying to punch them, very funny looking at it now, but we all worried at the time, I know her husband has passed away, is she still with us?
Mike Savoy

The Steampacket was a great pub beacuse all of us girls could get served there when we only 13!!! ( I wouldn't tell my daughters that though) Tiffanys was where we went before going on to somewhere else, it was a bit more 'up market' than most other places and it didn't sell Merrydown for 15p.
Karen-Derek

My only memory of going to the Royal was one night I agreed to met a lad I was going out with and when I got there another lad (both shall remain nameless) I was also seeing at the same time, (I believe it was called two-timing,) he was in there too, well the both 'chucked' me so I never went there again...!
Karen-Derek

Oh we all remember the Spanish Bar (at the Empire) the first place anyone got their first taste of alcohol. First time not knowing what to ask for and ending up asking for a pint of beer, not knowing the subtle difference between bitter and lager, the girls drinking cider or ridiculous drinks like dubonnet and lemonade, no such things as alcopops!! When the police made the occasional raid everyone ran out throught he front of the hotel!!
Karen-Derek

The Rhoslan in West Shore was a nice traditional pub, had my first illegal drink there. Can't understand why there are no pubs in West shore, surely there's a need for one!
I remember going there on the day I was told I had passed my 11plus. We were told by the nuns to go and tell our parents and I remember going to the Rhoslan with someone (can't remember who unfortunately) and shouting the good news to their mum who was in an upstairs room!
Suepp

I went to Anabelles a few times; it was on three floors, with the ground floor just housing the entrance stairway. On the first floor there was a dance floor and bar with another dance floor above that, complete with circular balcony to look down on the floor below. Always pretty busy when I went there.
DaveR

hi, wasnt it called Bartons first?
NorthWalesCpl

Yes. That was in the late 80's, maybe?
DaveR

Going back to the comments on the Rhoslan, I remember working in Cabin Confectionary (the fudge and toffee factory) and we would go the Rhoslan for a few pints after work, we always had fudge, toffee and glucose stuck to our shoes from the factory floor and a dog in the pub used to have a great time eating it from the soles of our shoes !! I think the dog belonged to Percy Roberts (Robo's dad) a well known character from West Shore.
Karen-Derek

Anyone remember the Cock & Hen under the St Georges Hotel. It was a little disco venue with a dance floor the size of a postage stamp.
How about the Crieterion bar just east of the Kings Arms above the shops? It was re-fitted and became Flicks complete with cinema seats from the old Savoy.
Steve

Of course there was Speakeasy under the Imperial and for that matter the piano bar just round the corner, wasn't it called Ivories?

I remember the Cock & Hen with the tiny dance floor went to a party there once, and Flicks I'd forgotten about the seats from the old savoy. Also remember the Steampacket our haunt and the Royal Oak before going on to Winters of course.
Mollie

Isn't the Speakeasy still in buisiness? Wasn't Ivories where the old Viking bar used to be?
Anyone remember the Mexico bar in the Grand Hotel? There was also Cesar's Palace in the ballroom, but it wasn't a pub so not sure if I should include it here. The Dolphin bar was pretty popular which was in the same hotel.
Steve

The Dolphin bar was classic on a Sunday night, Gaz Gandy on the drums and a couple of the lads from the West Shore singing on the stage usually half naked.
Welsh1

I remember those days, certainly were classics. Much better that the billed caberet. The beer was pretty cheap as well. I think the half naked performers were mostly the Kings road mob.
Steve

Youv'e got a great memory, I too remember the mexico room and the dolphin. Wasn't it called the Stage Door as well at one time, we used to stand outside in the summer and listen to all the bands and half naked lot from kings road. Do you remember the lads jumping off the pier in the summer and climbing the rocks by the Grand just to jump in again?
Steve

Though the signs are still around the entrance, I think the Speakeasy closed in 2001.

The Stage Door - you're right Molly! I remember the lads jumping off the top of the huge slide and into the sea. Some of them should have got jobs as Hollywood stuntmen when they left school, especially Derick Lau - he'd always jump from the highest point.
Steve

Irish and Ronny Atherton would always be flying off the top of the slide before the attendants realised what they were doing, I was just a rock or pier jumper myself, none from the slide or from the top of the little shops like some did!
Welsh1

I suppose you could include clubs that are no longer in the town in this thread. The R.N.A. club, Gloddaeth St, The R.A.F. club Augusta St, the Royal Artillery Club, Mostyn St, and the Labour Club, Madoc St.
Steve

What was the buisness mans club above the nat west bank on mostyn street called.
Pobo

Can't remember the name, but I remember the entrance was on Lloyd St, behind some black gates, and up a flight of steps.
Steve

It was referred to as the County Club though I seem to remember its full title being the Llandudno and County Club.

There was a funny story about one elderly member who happened to be exiting the lift by the entrance just as an ambulance arrived to attend to another member who had suffered a suspected heart attack.

The old boy was a lovely man, a real gentleman in the true sense of the word called 'Old Griff' anyone who knew him, also knew that he walked with a Zimmer frame and had a speech impediment, it took quite a while to understand what he was saying. Despite him screaming at the ambulancemen, he was bundled into the back of the ambulance and taken to Llandudno Hospital before he could make himself understood. They had of course picked up the wrong man!

The Club was a real gentleman's retreat with leather chairs and two snooker tables plus bench seats all around the room. Ladies of course, were not permitted as was also the case with the Victoria Club in Craig Y Don.

Incidentally, the building is constructed around a steel girder frame so the external stonework is only decorative. I think there used to be a picture in the bank showing it halfway through construction, somewhere around the same time as the Town Hall.

Did it at one time have sleeping accomadation for members i seem to recall the manager of the old national milk bars a mr sharples would stay over after a few drinks.
Pobo

Hi, hubby has a story too about that place,Whilst he was working on redorating the bar lounge areas of the club, one afternoon after the last chap had left (so they thought) shouts were heard from stairwell below, the steward then realised that the old boy was having trouble letting himself out so he asked hubby to nip downstairs and let him out, on opening the door for him he felt an object touching his head and turned round and to his horror the old man was holding a revolver to it! hubby stuttered 'steady on now' to which the chap just laughed, tucked it back in his jacket and went on his way. On returning back upstairs with jelly legs he told the steward what had happened to which the steward replied 'oh he has always carriedthat around with him since the war but dont worry its never loaded'  !!
NorthWalesCpl

The Royal Oak, had a good few pints there on a Friday and Saturday night before going to work at Winter Gardens, it was in the Oak that I tried my first pint of Newcastle Brown ale mixed half and half with bitter, very nice and strong.
MikeSavoy

Correction The Rhoslan wasnt a private school that was next door called Warley House.
I have a school photo if I new how to down/up load it and where.
Trevor

the north western,avondale,kingsarms,alex,harrington,tudno,sumners back bar,stanley,clock,american bar,ambassador lounge both above clock,carlton,london gresham,empire ,pier and parade.that was my saturday,a half in each and back down,a .good drink.but the one that that i remember the most was the stanley,you could leave for a pint in the clock and come back 30 mins later and find the place wrecked,fights broke out in seconds and any body who had a grudge with anyone would pile in.i do remember that they had three new juke boxes in two weeks at one time all had had chairs through them.the strangest place to drink must have been the old ta club behind the police station,you would be hanging out the upstairs window at 4pm on a sunday afternoon jeering at the police, pint in hand ,but it seems that the police could not enter the premise unless they had permission and a military policeman with them.as for membership i was a fully paid upmember at 15
Dwyforite

How about the alexandra
Do the Sunday steam trips count from the days of DRY Sundays.
The St Trilloo Etc. One of the reasons for so many clubs in Llandudno was so you could get a pint on Sunday
I remember it well. Straight from Church You had to fight your way on to get a trip. and stagger off at the end of yoursail to Anglsey.
Trevor

I remember the dry sundays, two pubs in Glan Conway that were pretty dead through the week suddenly got packed on Sundays, one was the Cross Keys, can't remember the other. Luckily we had the old rugby club on Mostyn Broadway a real dingy little place but a great atmosphere especially after games on saturdays. A few pints on a Sunday became a ritual, we even brought in board games like cluedo and monopoly I remember mates like Robin Holden, Jimmy Edwards, Davy Jones etc all propping up the bar on Sundays.
Karen-Derek

The Vale, Derek, but it may now be called the Estuary.
Does anyone remember going out on the St Trillo from the Pier and the bar would open up when at sea?
I can remember a live group playing on board but I can't be too sure but someone may correct me.
Bri Roberts

It was the galleon in rhos we always headed for on a sunday i recall sitting in there one night when the tide came over the sea wall and floded the place out.
Pobo

Where was the Galleon, Pobo? Not the one next to the Rhos Abbey Hotel, was it?
DaveR

The Galleon was the basement bar at the Rhos Abbey Hotel. The Hotel was demolished and retirement flats now stand in it's place.
Pobo

Thanks! I was thinking of that standalone building at the back of the Rhos Abbey - was it the Riverboat Room?

DaveR

The riverboat was beside the abbey as you faced the front door it was on the left it was used for functions and by the colwyn bay folk club.The fynach restaurant is more towards abbey road.
Pobo

Wasn't the old swimming pool at the back of the Rhos Fynach Pobo?
Steve

It was just behind the fynach they should never have closed it down` im sure it could have been kept going always seemed to be busy in the summer.
Just past the were swimming pool was used to be the warehouse of one of the largest fruit and vedge suppliers in the area John Garstangs.
Pobo

I remember John Garstang's well. I used to cadge rides as a youngster, on their lorries when they delivered in Llandudno.
Steve

That's right. I seem to remember it looked quite tatty towards the end. They pulled it down to build the first lot of new apartments on Rhos prom and then demolished the hotel itself a few years later to build another block. I think the Rhos Abbey hotel should have been converted into flats, rather then demolished, it was a great looking building.
DaveR

The Rhos Abbey and Rhos Fynach also spring mempries of another great landmark that used to be a magnet for kids in summer Rhos Pool. I remember long hot summer days spent at the pool, the slide was always a favourite, a mate of mine Derek Parry decided it would be a good idea to go down standing up, he actually achieved it first time but on the second go went flying off the side of it and split his head open !!!!!! Happy days !
Karen-Derek

The swimming pool was a magnet. We used to ride our bikes to rhos from Llandudno spend the day, take sarnies the ride home was always very slow though. The Galleon we went there every sunday all the bikers went there, great atmosphere!
Mollie

Anyone remember the Tavern Bar? It was a small bar attached to one of the hotels on the seafront, I think it was the Shelbourne.
Steve

Bartons - Before it was Bartons it was the Embassy Restaurant.
Steve

Hi, yes thats right, hubby remembers going to his Uncles wedding reception there 41years ago!
NorthWalesCpl

It was called bartons wine bar until about 97 when it had a refit and the balcony (that caused so many glassing incidents was removed and a full floor put in) it was re-named Anabel's and only closed due to Health and Safety issues as i think the building was in very bad need of maintenance.

I always remember boppin to 'Johnny Wilko's Disco' in Bartons during the late 80's / early 90's
Steve

That's right, according to Mostyn Estates:
'Westminster Buildings, site of the former Annabelle’s nightclub in the heart of Llandudno, had suffered from a chronic lack of maintenance over the years. It had become so dilapidated that three ornamental pediments (weighing several tonnes each) were in real danger of falling onto the busy public highway. Following legal action, Mostyn Estates took on the job of rescuing the building in a huge project, resulting in a fantastic improvement to the surrounding area as a whole.'
DaveR

What about the West Shore Social Club. Had some good good times there. Used to play there sometimes with cousin John on organ. Our dixieland band used to have a great time on Boxing Days at the club - traditional events with traditional jazz. Bill Jones or George Brookes on trumpet - and at one time George on trumpet and Bill on valve trombone, myself clarinet, Al Hughes (Dyffryn Dairy) on piano, Clive Sweet on bass (I'm trying to get Clive to join this forum - he lives in the US now) and either Barry Jones or Cliff Parry (and maybe once Frank Ash) on drums. We'd play from about 11 to 2.30 then go on a booze crawl around the hotel bars.
Micox

A few more pubs (which I'm sure none of us have personal memories of!):

Birmingham Arms, Mostyn Street (not sure of precise location)

Miners Arms, Old Road

Cambria Arms, Lloyd Street (I think this was when St George's Place was called such)

Ship Inn - somewhere round Llewelyn Avenue/Church Walks

Every year the Licensing Justices had recorded in a register all the inns etc. for every parish. There's a copy of one on the wall of the Red Lion in Old Colwyn. Lists all the pubs, licencees, how many beds they had etc. Quite interesting but I've never had time to go to the Archives in Llandudno to see what they've got on these lines.

Some places have interesting booklets on pubs past and present - niche in the market for someone ?
Alphaline

Birmingham Arms - It was roughly where Sumners used to be.
DaveR

There was also 'The Prince of Wales Inn' located in Lloyd St (now St George's Place). It was on the eastern side of the street between Somerset St & Mostyn St. (Where the present day shops are). It also served as a Packet House. Proprietor in 1855 was Mr John Owens.
Steve

I remember on my 25th birthday we tried to 'do' 25 pubs (the last one being the old hall) - I think I have the list somewere I'll try to dig it out. One of them was downstairs at the Northwestern and was called 'Grays' then - the first Llandudno pub I remember having a singles night. That would have been in 1989.

Does anyone remember the North Wales Conference Centre getting a licence to open as a night club? Can't remember what they called it now but it was hopeless and only lasted a few months. The bar was open till 11.30 and you didn't have to leave untill 12
Moggy

Eureka!!!! Our family history has it that my Nain and Taid met while working in the Birmingham Arms. For years I've been searching north Wales for the pub not having any info it was in Llandudno.
Micox

One of Llandudno's most unusual public houses was 'The Farm Inn' during the early twentieth century. At the Farm Inn extra income was earned by offering refreshment to the many tourists roaming the Great Orme.
The sign above the door read - 'Mrs J. Roberts (late) William Owen, Farm Inn, Great Ormes Head, licenced to sell Ale & Porter, Wines, Refreshments etc.'
This farm is now known as 'Pink Farm.'
Steve

I remember it now, after going through about 5 old diaries and what I should have called it was the Aberconwy Conference Center - you know the big place on the North Shore near where the Arcadia was. Anyway.....

It was in 1986 and was called Scandals and, apart from the dance floor being so empty we (me and Paul 'Porkie' Roberts) were doing knee slides across it, the only other thing I can remember about it was Paula Bean working in the cloak room (I was mates with her brother Martin).
Moggy

Tut tut.....vandal's in sandal's doing knee-slides at Scandal's.   
I remember not long after the Aberconwy Centre was built they held Mod disco's there as Llandudno was a popular location for their scooter rally's.
Steve

Actually, in 1986, it was a Zoot Suit, thin leather tie and a pair of white shoes. :shock:

Some Mods still come over for the bank holiday. I remember back then them camping on a field on the North Shore, it was by the yatch club and I think was the old 'pitch and putt'. I stayed well clear - despite the Zoot Suit I was very much into Heavy Rock then.
Moggy

A couple more on the periphery but still within Llandudno district:

King's Head, Glanwydden (not to be confused with the QH)

The Swan, Bryn Pydew

Both these must have closed by early 20th cent.
Alphaline

Mostyn Arms, Church Walks (first major hotel in the town) now The Royal Hotel.

The Links was originally called The Mostyn Arms. It was built to replace the Mostyn Arms in Llanrhos.
Steve

The Queens Head was in existance in Llanrhos opposite the church, just up the road from the Mostyn Arms. The Victoria Inn was located in the heart of 'Llandudno Village.' Victoria Tram Station was built on the site and took it's name from the Inn.
A short distance down Old Road (previously Mount Road) stood the George & Dragon.
Steve

Ah the good old days pop into the oak for happy hour from 5.30 till 8 on sat before doing the rounds over to the carlton and the steampacket, tudno back around to cottage loaf onto tiffanys and the the super winter gardens to dance the night away happy times.
Nettle

The Prince of Wales packet house/hotel took up the whole block on Lloyd St (now St George's Place) from Somerset St, to Mostyn St.
Steve

a doorway next to what was Horesh has a very nice tiled floor with the words 'The Maelgwyn' incorporated. I'm not sure if this was a hotel but the coffee shop on the corner may at one time have been called Plas Maelgwyn. Any thoughts ?
Alphaline

The Maelgwyn may have been a bar or a banquet room inside the Prince Of Wales Inn.......Maelgwyn Gwynedd was Prince of North Wales at one time.
Steve

John Owen was the father of Richard Owen Proprietor of 'Overton House' or 'The Clock Vaults' as it was later known(1871-1904), now Halifax Building Society. The building on the opposite corner of Market Street was the 'Criterion' (now Barclays Bank) Richard Owen also owned 'The Harrington Vaults' till 1904 when he passed away.They were my Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandfather any information or Pics from any era on these pubs would be greatfully received
Installer

Hi . im sure the Harrington was in the area of where Stead and Simpsons and Priceless shoes are now , remember going there in the 70s.
NorthWalesCpl

the harrington was next door to mc fisheries.
Tommy Lehart

Hi thanks for everyones help, it was where Stead and Simpsons is now number 71 Mostyn Street. Shame they are all gone i played darts in the 60,s and remember the teams names in the Gwalia League
Installer

I remember Graham Walker when he had the Harrington and the sweet shop on the estate. He was a really nice guy and he had a large wooden clinker build boat behind the shop that he painstakingly restored over a period of about 10 months. With the help of several lads from Cwm Place & the estate we lifted the boat out of the garden & took it to Craig Y Don for it's launch. He was so grateful to us that he took us all out on the boats maiden voyage. We cruised about 300 yards out and motored along to the pier. All went well until the bung shot up in the air & the boat took in water at an alarming rate. We were bailing water out as fast as we could, but obviously not quick enough as it finally sunk about 25 yards out.
Hugo

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:06:03 pm by DaveR »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Pubs Gone But Not Forgotten
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:47:51 pm »
WHAT A RESPONSE.  What a bunch of pub lovers there must be in this forum. Unfortunately I cannot add anything interesting, I was never a regular drinker in Llandudno (made up for it elsewhere!!!) Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »
Some names of pubs that I picked up in Llandudno Library a while back...

Oxford Arms - 7 Clonmel Street (now Little Lilly & Co)
Brynford Vaults - 8 Mostyn Street (now Fifth Avenue Amusements?)
Burlington Hotel - 23 Mostyn Street  (now Craft Llandudno)
Vernon Vaults - 35 Mostyn Street (now part of Billy Lal's Bargain Centre)
Mostyn Vaults - 46 Mostyn Street (Now Game video games shop)
Wellington Hotel - Mostyn Street
Harrington House -  71 Mostyn Street (closed 1980 - now 'Stead & Simpson)
Prince of Wales - Lloyd Street
Tudno Vaults - 64 Mostyn Street (now the 'Town House' pub, formerly 'Plumes')
Stanley Hotel - 70 Mostyn Street (now 'The Works', formerly Dixons and, before that, the 'Steampacket' pub)
The Criterion - 84 Mostyn Street (now 'Barclays Bank')
Mount Pelier - Mostyn Street
Palmerston House - Mostyn Street
British Hotel - Church Walks
Albert Vaults - Madoc Street (Now just 'The Albert' pub)
Snowdon Vaults - Tudno Street (Now just 'The Snowdon' pub')
Westminster Hotel - Lloyd Street
Overton House - 86 Mostyn Street (Later the 'Clock Vaults' pub, now 'Halifax Building Society')
Penmynydd - Great Orme’s Head (now a private house - Penmynydd Isaf/Pink Farm)
Telegraph Inn - Great Orme’s Head (demolished in 1900s and rebuilt as Summit Hotel)
Railway Vaults - Mostyn Street
Tourists’ Hotel - Mostyn Street
Temperance Hotel - Mostyn St (absorbed into North Western/Tudno Castle Hotel - now semi-derelict)

Note - The list above also mentions the Baths Hotel, so it must have been compiled sometime between 1879 and 1900.

If you have any more pubs to add or any info on any of the above, please fire away!  :)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:51:25 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:36:38 pm »
Whilst looking through the Gwynedd Archives, I also found some bits and bobs that are relevant to Llandudno pubs:

ORDER OF CONVICTION of John Williams of pa.[rish] Llandudno, beerhouse keeper, for unlawfully keeping open his house and premises licensed for the sale of beer after lO p.m. at pa.[rish] Llandudno on 26 January 1856.

RECOGNIZANCE of Owen Williams of Llandidno [Llandudno], licensing him to keep a common inn and alehouse in good order for one year.  Year - 1798

SUMMARY CONVICTION of John Hughes of Llandudno for drunkenness on 27th Sept. 1869. Fined 5/- and 8/- costs to be paid to Henry Jones prosecuting, or to be imprisoned in the common gaol, Carnarvon [Caernarfon] seven days. Magistrates: J. Edwards, W.N. Masman.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »
So, let me get this straight....Drunkeness 140 years ago gets you a fine of more than a months wages....??

Today, it gets you a free ride home in a cushy police car, and a mild warning?

We wonder why society is turning to mush...

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:56:49 pm »
The Stanley was at 70 Mostyn Street where  "The Works" is now

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:40:41 am »
Hi Dave Is it possible for anybody to tell me which street or road The Telegraph Inn or The Penmynydd were on the orme?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:59:44 am »
The Stanley was at 70 Mostyn Street where  "The Works" is now
Thanks, Sue. Added to list.  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:47 am »
Hi Dave Is it possible for anybody to tell me which street or road The Telegraph Inn or The Penmynydd were on the orme?
The Telegraph Inn was (I believe) the old Telegraph Station that we had a discussion about on the old forum a month or two back. It was demolished and rebuilt as the Summit Hotel.

[smg id=484]

As for Penmynydd, I thought this could be Penmynydd Uchaf (isnt this the one also known as White Farm?) but Hugo thinks it was actually Penmynydd Isaf (Pink Farm) and that makes a lot more sense.  :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:03:40 am by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:48:45 am »
Wasn't the Town House once called the Tudno Vaults?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:36:14 am »
In Jim Roberts' book Llandudno there is a Farm Inn on the Orme. Its local name is the Pink Farm but I believe its correct name is Penmynydd Isaf. 
It's just lower down from Penmynydd Uchaf (White Farm)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 10:41:09 am »
I think you're right about the Town House previously being called the Tudno Vaults.  I don't know when the name changed but remember going there when I was in my teens!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 10:56:38 am »
Thanks, Hugo. I remember seeing old photos of Pink Farm in use as a cafe, so it being an Inn earlier is very likely. They still have the old corrugated iron shed in the garden that was used as the cafe!

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 08:57:00 am »
Thanks Dave and Hugo for the info on the Orme pubs.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 02:02:59 pm »
Can someone remind me where the 'Steampacket' pub was?