Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230332 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »
If you use an ATM, just make sure the Keyboard is the real one!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2014, 02:25:39 pm »
These scams are getting everywhere now.  What will they try next?   ZXZ

Dear account holder,

Online access to your Tesco account has been suspended. due to invalid account information provided.
To have your online account reinstated, you need to verify your online service access.

Click here for verification

Please note that accounts not verify within 24HRS of
suspension are subject to termination.

Regards
Tesco
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2014, 03:00:48 pm »
These scams are getting everywhere now.  What will they try next?   ZXZ
Dear account holder,
Online access to your Tesco account has been suspended. due to invalid account information provided.
To have your online account reinstated, you need to verify your online service access.
Click here for verification
Please note that accounts not verify within 24HRS of
suspension are subject to termination.
Regards
Tesco

It's scary, especially for the unwary, I had a call from my bank, couple weeks ago, which I cut short, saying I would call in, it was genuine, but we are getting "jumpy" with the likes of the above.           $angry$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2014, 03:32:18 pm »
The thing is, the message is so daft that I would think only and idiot would be fooled.  I was close to it!   :D
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2014, 03:41:20 pm »
The thing is, the message is so daft that I would think only and idiot would be fooled.  I was close to it!   :D
Years ago an "intelligent" friend of mine had someone visit his house checking the area for rising damp, he let him in, and complied when asked to go into the next room and knock on the walls, he could not believe how stupid he had been. minus wallet and watch.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2014, 08:37:10 am »
What will they try next? 

Date: 14 October 2014 00:32:43 BST
Subject: End of Year Reward
Reply-To: <sharon.drake1sharon.drake1@aol.com>

MasterCard/Visa
MasterCard International Global Headquarters

2000 Purchase Street, Purchase,

New York, United States of America

Congratulations

Dear Customer

MasterCard in Partnership with Visa is saying a BIG THANK YOU to all our Customers and Clients by providing them a chance to Win the sum of One Million Two Hundred Thousand United State Dollars as part of our 2014 End of Year Thank You Cash Reward Promo.

This Offer is Exclusively open to only Active Master or Visa Card Holders WORLDWIDE who usually conduct in Store or Online Payment Transactions with Card Number beginning from 5 or 4, if you are not an Active and Current Card Holder of Master or Visa Card in any Bank of the World & if your Credit/Debit Card Number didn't begin with 4 or 5, Please IGNORE/DISCARD This Message

Full Name,

Address

Occupation

Last 6 Digit Debit/Credit Card Number

for more information and stand a chance to Win the Cash Prize of One Million Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars.

Thank you for Using Master/Visa Card.

Customer Service.

MasterCard in Partnership with Visa

Note: Due to the large image size embed on this message, Your Email Service provider might not deliver to your inbox, so if you find it in your spam/junk/ folder, move it to Inbox for a Clear view
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:13 am »
They keep trying, so they must be fooling some people  $angry$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2014, 04:21:40 pm »
This a warning to anyone considering having a slate house sign made not to use a company calling itself Premier Slate. This company operates out of Cardiff and have been the subject of so many complaints there are entire forums dedicated to them. Suffice to say you should avoid this company. Their details, trading as Keybee enterprises, since their original firm was liquidated in February, are as follows:

Keybee Enterprises Ltd.
Unit 4,
The Quarry,
Pentrebach Road,
RCT,

Specifically, they claim they sell two types of sign: Standard and Premier. On the site itself (the full details of which I saved as HTML pages) they claimed the 'Standard' signs were 20mm approx thickness and the 'Premier' signs were 20mm+ thick. The one they sent us was 8mm thick. 

The problem is that their site looks very impressive and they do just enough to stay out of serious trouble, especially if customers eventually receive their signs but think it's not worth the trouble to pursue them.

Paypal launched an investigation and decided in our (my wife and my) favour and refunded the money. However, they are still in business and should be given a wide berth. If you want a reliable slate house sign company then use these:

Atlantic Signs, Unit 1 Pentire Workshops, High Street, Delabole, Cornwall  PL33 9BA

Meanwhile Trading standards are now actively investigating Premier Slate.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2014, 10:53:55 am »
Owl Messaging

We would like to make you aware of the below scam.  With the run up to Christmas many of you will be ordering items online for delivery and we want to make sure you do not fall victim to this scam.

Reports advise that a card is posted through your door purporting to come from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

If you do call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call. Anyone receiving a card with these sort of details should call Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655 or Crime Stoppers UK on 0800 555 111. It's also really important that people are aware that the premium rate number may change so please do not call any number stated on a card from PDS.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2014, 11:06:49 am »
Owl Messaging

We would like to make you aware of the below scam.  With the run up to Christmas many of you will be ordering items online for delivery and we want to make sure you do not fall victim to this scam.

Reports advise that a card is posted through your door purporting to come from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

If you do call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call. Anyone receiving a card with these sort of details should call Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655 or Crime Stoppers UK on 0800 555 111. It's also really important that people are aware that the premium rate number may change so please do not call any number stated on a card from PDS.
http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/hoax-email-from-pds-parcel-delivery-service-nov12

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2014, 11:15:06 am »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2014, 11:16:02 am »
Ah... Great minds, apparently :-)))

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2014, 01:10:36 pm »
Owl Messaging - Update

Please accept our apologies, our previous email in relation to a Delivery Scam contained out of date information.  please be aware that the PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) scam is no longer in existence. The service is NO LONGER running  and you do not need to contact PhonepayPlus, or the Royal Mail, about this service as it was stopped. All information can be found on the below link. http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/hoax-email-from-pds-parcel-delivery-service-nov12

We would like to thank anyone who has responded to our messages and apologise for the confusion.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2014, 09:05:53 am »
Some of the things that they send are most odd !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2014, 09:10:07 am »
First time I've heard of this OWL service, seems like a good idea, it should be publicised a bit more widely.