Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230544 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Re: Tell your Friends!
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 05:25:41 pm »
Martin. What you say is mainly true but quite often when you do a 1471 after answering a call when there is no one there, you get "We do not have the caller's number" or "the caller withheld the number".  In these cases of so called "silent calls" there is therefore no number to put into their search engine.

Offline martin

Re: Re: Tell your Friends!
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 06:00:36 pm »
Often these no number callers are from outside the UK, callers from within the UK are, I think I am right in saying, now required by law to show their number.  As with most laws in the UK the whole thing is a bit of a fudge, calls are not allowed from companies trying to sell you things, but if it is classed as market research, then it is allowed.  All that said, if you do get a number, it is well worth running it through the WhoCallsMe site.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »
So how is it done. Dead easy.  The caller presses the mute button at his end, he can then hear you trying to call a friend,  after a minute or two  he puts his phone down and then recalls you.

This is a very old scam and it works on the principle that if the person who initiates a call effectively blocks the person they're calling from making an outgoing call so long as the caller doesn't hang up.  It's the same thing that happens when someone you know and who has your number on speed dial on their mobile 'calls' you accidentally, by knocking it. When you answer you can hear talking, but no one realises they've called you.  Unfortunately, until they do, or until the 'phone company auto-disconnects, then you can't dial out. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 07:34:43 pm »

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Handy petrol price comparison site.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 11:38:26 am »
Fuel prices in the Canary Islands varies form 1 Euro to 1.09 Euro per litre!   And that is even after transporting it there.  Must be our high taxes that makes the difference!
 Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 12:28:13 pm »
Did you bring some back with you?     To avoid the outrageous fuel tax here  $angry$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 01:45:40 pm »
Ah! There lies the rub!  I didn't have a big enough container!   

But, in Portugal it was 1.70 Euros a litre if that makes you feel any better.      WWW
Cicero

Offline Paddy

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 07:20:55 pm »
Someone is going to be very, very disappointed!

Offline Yorkie

Phishing
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 08:19:24 am »
I received this in my e-mails today, with the Tesco logo above and addressed to my e-mail rather than my real name.  And, of course, I don't even have an "account" with Tesco!

These phishers seem to stop at nothing to try and get bank and other details from us.   $angry$

This e-mail has been sent to you by TESCO customer support to inform you that we were unable to verify your account details. This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address, phone)
2. Submitting incorrect information during registration process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your information today by clicking here.

If you have already confirmed your information then please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
TESCO
Costumer Support

Thanks for your co-operation.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Phishing
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 08:21:13 am »
Had the same type of thing from a couple of banks which we have nothing to do with.
Dangerous for the unwary.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Phishing
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 08:27:38 am »
About 5 of these a day appear in my Spam Email folder, from an assortment of UK and International Banks. Naturally, you should should NEVER reply or give out any further information.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 01:52:04 pm »
Did anyone notice that it is from Costumer support?   George has maybe had a part to play in it.   _))*
Cicero

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »
Olympic Flame

How could anyone fall for it?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 02:40:15 pm »
Fair play, it is quite funny. I like the bit in the Q&A section where he explains you have to supply your own bin for the large flame and he will come round and light it!
Valar Morghulis

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2012, 02:45:06 pm »
I liked this comment,

"Q:     Can I please ask how you can justify being such a pathetic and greedy piece of scum? You are exactly what is wrong with humanity. I feel ashamed to be on the same planet as you.    12-Jun-12
A:     I'd just like to point out that I am in no way officially connected with the London 2012 Olympic Games. If you would like to complain about the games themselves I suggest you contact your local MP. I hope that this clears up any confusion."