Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 241315 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #660 on: April 09, 2021, 09:50:51 am »
Census reminder letters spark fears of scam - but ONS says they are genuine
The Office of National Statistics have told people who receive a reminder not to worry if they have completed the survey already

Social media has been awash with complaints from families worried they might be liable for £1,000 fines even though they have completed the Census.

full details  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/census-reminder-letters-spark-fears-20342961

Offline SteveH

« Reply #661 on: April 12, 2021, 04:37:26 pm »
If you’re ever unsure about a communication you’ve received from TV Licensing, it’s always best to ask someone – perhaps a friend, family member, or for more help, please visit http://tvl.co.uk/scam.

Brits have been issued an urgent scam warning over their BBC TV Licence which could see them lose out on hundreds in hard-earned cash.

On the TV licencing website, TV Licence payees are warned of fraudulent communications form scammers looking to steal personal details and outlines the signs to look out for to avoid being scammed.

TV Licencing says it will always use your full name and/or part of your postcode in emails and will never use the phrase “Dear Customer”.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19226897.tv-licence-brits-issued-urgent-warning-licence-holder-scam/

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #662 on: April 23, 2021, 12:05:54 pm »
I changed my iPhone earlier this week.

Since then I have had three phone calls on my landline, not the mobile, from 07869 334620 with a computer message saying that Amazon is charging me £399 and my new iPhone will be despatched shortly.

Googling that phone number tells is me it is the "Track FedEx package" line (I have not pressed the link).

Does seem rather coincidental that I am getting the calls when I have just acquired a new phone (from Vodafone).

Surely not a coincidence?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #663 on: May 12, 2021, 09:56:02 am »
DVT: I've run several checks on that number and it's from Airtel, India in Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu State.  Good job you didn't click the link.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #664 on: May 12, 2021, 11:16:42 am »
2nd post today...

The Facebook Marketplace scam fraudsters are using to swipe expensive goods
Fraudsters are using Facebook Marketplace to scam people in North Wales out of expensive items.

North Wales Police issued a warning after a number of reports from members of the public having had items stolen after advertising them online.

In a post on Facebook, the force said: "Please be aware of a new scam which has been reported to us recently

"Victims have been advertising expensive items on Facebook Marketplace and the suspects make contact offering to purchase the item.

"The suspects arrive to collect the item claiming they cannot pay in cash and offer to make a bank transfer."

They added: "The victim is shown that a transaction has taken place and they hand the item to the suspects who then leave.

"Later the victim discovers that the transaction was unsuccessful.

cont   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/facebook-marketplace-scam-fraudsters-using-20577776

Offline SteveH

« Reply #665 on: May 18, 2021, 11:38:16 am »
An urgent warning has been issued to anyone in the UK with a HSBC bank account over an alarming new text scam.

Customers have previously been inundated with dodgy texts, calls and voicemails from scammers claiming to be the bank.
The latest scam comes in the form of a phishing text message, and HSBC is warning their customer not to click the link ‘under any circumstances'.

The text reads: "HSBC: A payment to MR/MRS [insert name] has been attempted on [insert date] at [insert time]. If this was NOT you, please visit:"

The text then attaches a URL link to a fraudulent page, where scammers will attempt to siphon your personal details.

HSBC has confirmed this is a scam - and you should not click on the link attached in the message under any circumstances.
The bank has warned: "If you've received a text message that looks like it may have come from HSBC, have a look here to see if it really did come from us.

"Criminals have become very sophisticated in enticing you to click on links or call phone numbers that belong to them.
"They pretend to be an organisation you trust, like your bank, utility company, internet provider or even the police or HMRC.

"You might receive other texts from us, depending on your marketing preferences. If in doubt, don't respond - call us on the normal number on the back of your card."

There are also reports of similar scams targeting customers who bank with other high-street banks.
If you are ever in doubt about any contact claiming to be from your bank you should contact them directly on a verified number.

For more information, visit HSBC here. https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/security-centre/received-a-text/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #666 on: May 20, 2021, 10:05:05 am »
Learner drivers in England are being warned of a scam which could cost them £600 amid a backlog in driving tests as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Criminals are continuing to capitalise on the pandemic but looking out for so many convincing scams can be incredibly daunting for motorists.

Following a year of lockdowns, learner drivers are experiencing an unprecedented wait to sit their driving tests.
And fraudsters are exploiting the situation to target drivers who don’t want to wait for their test.

Scammers are selling fake licences and paper certificates online for £600 each, stating they have inside access to driving test centres and can pass learner drivers without having to get behind the wheel of a vehicle.

No licence cards are issued, and the fraudsters take the funds.

cont   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19316352.learner-drivers-warned-new-600-scam/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #667 on: June 02, 2021, 09:45:29 am »
Census collection took place across Wales at the end of March, and all households were required to fill out their details.

The survey, operated by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), collects important information about the population every decade.

But 2021 is the first year that people had been given the option to fill out the questionnaire online.
Despite the deadline being months ago, people are still being contacted claiming that either their census is missing some important information.

Trading Standards Wales has now issued a warning following a rise in reports of the text message scam.

They said that people are told that there is information missing from their completed Census and asked to click on a link to complete their form or face prosecution.

By clicking the link they are directed to a site that appears identical to the original online census form, on completing the form and submitting the recipient is asked to pay a £1.25 fee.

Helen Picton, Chair of Trading Standards Wales, said: “Scam calls and texts to mobile phones are a serious problem, there is no mobile phone equivalent to a landline call blocker to stop them coming through.

“Some of these messages are very convincing. Remember, that no government agency would send you a notification demanding money via text or automated telephone message.

“If a company sends you a link via text message to click on, ignore it. If you are unsure because you have an account with that company, contact them directly and don't use the link provided.”                   ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #668 on: June 03, 2021, 10:39:11 am »
HMRC warn of tax credits scam as annual renewal packs are sent out
More than half a million callers have been offered 'bogus tax rebates'

If customers cannot verify the identity of a caller, HMRC recommends that you do not speak to them.

Visit GOV.UK for HMRC's scams checklist to find out how to report tax scams.

Pauline Smith, Head of Action Fraud, said: “Criminals are experts at impersonating organisations that we know and trust.

full DP article https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hmrc-warn-tax-credit-scam-20727162

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #669 on: June 05, 2021, 11:44:55 am »
I had a phone call this morning at 9.39 informing my that £358 would be taken out of my bank account for my Amazon order. Nothing new about this scam apart from the fact the number was 01492591497 & that's why I answered the call. Does anyone have a number I could call to report this as I find it rather disturbing, due to these people using a local number for their scam?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #670 on: June 05, 2021, 12:04:10 pm »
We use this to find out who called, https://who-called.co.uk/  and complain to your phone provider .

Offline SteveH

« Reply #671 on: June 23, 2021, 02:27:23 pm »
Facebook users dreaming of a caravan holiday this summer are being warned to be on the lookout for a scam in North Wales.

North Wales Police said it has had “multiple reports” of people paying a deposit for a caravan being sold on Facebook.

The seller claimed the caravan was ready for collection in the Colwyn Bay area of Conwy.

“Victims have been urged to pay a deposit to secure the sale as there is a lot of interest,” said the force.

“Once the victims pay the deposit, all contact is ceased.

“Unfortunately they then lose this money.”

Facebook users are advised to avoid unusual payment methods or be talked into mailing money.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/facebook-users-north-wales-warned-20880526

Offline SteveH

« Reply #672 on: July 03, 2021, 10:04:56 am »
Police warn Facebook users that North Wales bungalow offer is not what it seems
People have been asked to pay a £350 deposit to secure the property

Officers said the home is in fact being handled by an estate agent but it appears scammers are advertising it on social media site

A North Wales Police spokesman said: "We have received multiple reports of a bungalow being advertised for rent on local Facebook groups.

"People are asked to pay a £350 deposit upfront to secure the rental but later discover that the property is actually being handled by an estate agent, not the person advertising the property on Facebook.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-warn-facebook-users-north-20959456

Offline SteveH

Re: Consumer news and scams...fake £5
« Reply #673 on: July 19, 2021, 04:13:31 pm »
Rumours of fake £5 in and around Llandudno.. ?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #674 on: July 31, 2021, 03:20:44 pm »
Urgent cash machine warning issued after online footage reveals new scam
Criminals have been tampering with payment slots to obtain people's money

Footage has emerged online showing how criminals are tampering with cash point payment slots to obtain money from unassuming victims.

Dual purpose cash machines are the target of the new scam, with fraudsters accessing withdrawals using the machine

According to The Mirror, the fraudsters trick users into believing there is just one box for both withdrawals and deposits, by concealing the withdrawal slot with a plastic cover.

It leads the victim into believing the cash machine is out of service because nothing is dispensed, without realising there is a separate slot for withdrawals.

Once they walk away, the criminal then goes to the machine, opens the cover, and takes the money.

All the while the customer is oblivious that they have been defrauded.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/urgent-cash-machine-warning-issued-21193539