Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 113708 times)

SteveH

• News Editor
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #630 on: September 10, 2020, 09:56:39 AM »
There has been a surge in pet scams during the coronavirus pandemic.

Diogelwch Cymunedol Canolog/ Community Safety Cent
@NWPComSafCent
Sadly a nurse at YGC hospital has been scammed. She saw an advert for a husky puppy for £1000 pounds. The fraudster then asked her to pay £450 deposit, which she has done. This was over a week ago and she is now blocked on @Gumtree  and can no longer contact the seller.

SteveH

• News Editor
« Reply #631 on: September 11, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
From social media a scam using DVLA details ?  .......................

Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #632 on: September 11, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »
Apparently, there's been You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

SteveH

• News Editor
« Reply #633 on: September 11, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Apparently, there's been You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

I have heard that there is a general increase in scams, we are getting the Amazon scam at the moment and are having to block phone numbers daily.

DVT

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #634 on: September 25, 2020, 04:47:59 PM »
Yesterday I answered a phone call from an 0208... number.  Chap gave his name as Mike, although if I had to guess his name by his accent that name would have been a very long way down the list - he told me that "as I've had the TV for two years I would now have to ..."   I said Goodbye and hung up.

This afternoon received an e-mail to say my licence runs out tonight I would have to pay.  Message quoted my licence number (incorrectly) and, of course, a link to pay.  The e-mail came fom as.kennedy@hotmail.com - needless to say I have not clicked the link, which is to jonbro.tk@?k=anwcc.co.uk ... curiously part of that is my website address.

Co-incidence?

My l,icence is paid annually by direct debit and not at this time of year.

What do these people hope to get out of it - I wonder just how many people do respond.

SteveH

• News Editor
« Reply #635 on: September 29, 2020, 10:02:12 AM »
An intensive care nurse has lost her entire wedding fund after being tricked by people pretending to work for HMRC – the Government’s tax office.

Nelitza Ramirez Osorio, said more than £5,000 was taken by the fraudsters who she says threatened her with criminal charges if she did not pay up.

It is understood that police have told her they cannot trace where the money was transferred to as she sent the scammers separate installments of under £1,000    ref DP

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

SteveH

• News Editor
« Reply #636 on: October 18, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »
The top online scams in circulation across the UK have been revealed.   ref Pioneer

While banks and building societies will often refund money lost through scams, it is not always guaranteed and the best way you can ensure your money is safe is to take steps to protect yourself from scams.

We've put together a list of the most common scams to watch out for.         

cont....     You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Three Towns Forum - Talk about Llandudno, Colwyn Bay & Conwy

« Reply #636 on: October 18, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »