Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 238427 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Consumer news
« Reply #570 on: December 21, 2019, 12:01:40 pm »
Amazon    $booboo$     or they are cashing in on Xmas........

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #571 on: January 03, 2020, 11:14:25 am »
Reprinted from New Scientist:

"Since April 2019, there have more than 300 cases in the UK of attacks in which people try to fraudulently obtain codes that would let them gain control of someone’s mobile number, the UK’s data watchdog has revealed in figures that suggest the practice is becoming more common.

The process of SIM-jacking, or SIM-swapping, involves an attacker contacting a person’s mobile network operator and fraudulently obtaining a porting authorisation code (PAC) enabling them to switch the victim’s phone number to another phone on a different network.

UK-based food-writer Jack Monroe recently had about £5000 stolen from her bank account after someone managed to hijack her mobile number.

Figures released under freedom of information rules to New Scientist by the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) show that there were “over 300” reports of PAC fraud since the start of April 2019. The watchdog told privacy campaigners last month that there had been 399 cases in total since the start of April 2018, which means most reports have been in the past nine months.

“SIM-swap fraud is devastating, as we saw with Jack Monroe. There is the harm. You mustn’t just think in terms of financial harm, there’s the anxiety and there’s the distress this causes, the absolute inconvenience while you’re without your phone,” says data protection consultant Pat Walshe at Privacy Matters.

It isn’t clear how many of the 300-plus cases of PAC fraud since April involve SIM-jacking. The ICO says it only identified 11 cases with the term, but says the figure can’t be taken as reliable because it may have missed variations on the phrase when searching its records.

“We don’t know which operators have reported what and we don’t know whether the fraudulently obtained PACs [number] is in fact SIM-swap fraud. We can only assume it is,” says Walshe.

Figures released by the City of London Police suggest that there is a growing problem. The number of annual PAC fraud reports to the national Action Fraud website and helpline doubled between 2016 and 2018, to 252.
Security clearance

SIM-jacking typically works by someone calling up a victim’s mobile network operator, armed with as much personal information about the person as possible. In Monroe’s case, for example, her date of birth was available on Wikipedia. The assailant then uses that information to attempt to pass security clearance with the operator in order to have them read out the PAC. That can then be used to port the number onto another SIM, giving the attacker control of the number.

The ICO doesn’t say how many cases were successful. Attempts by New Scientist staff to mimic the process – by trying to obtain a PAC for their own number using just their name, mobile number and date of birth – were rebuffed. One network operator wouldn’t give out the PAC without the caller reading out a code sent via text to the number to be ported. Another declined to give out a PAC via web chat, and a third wouldn’t allow the caller to proceed without a postal address.

However, some attempts clearly are succeeding in the UK, as Monroe’s case demonstrates, and globally, with the technique used to access the Twitter account of the social media company’s founder, Jack Dorsey. Mobile numbers have increasingly become the main way for companies and governments to authenticate a person’s identity, raising the stakes for losing control of the number.

Walshe, who worked for two decades in the mobile industry, says there is insufficient data being collected on the problem. He also says the sector isn’t doing enough to tackle the issue. One of the solutions he prefers is networks sending a verification text to the original number. He says security checks shouldn’t be using data that could be gleaned online. “No company should be asking for DOB and mother’s maiden name, [which are often a] matter of public record.”

Trade body Mobile UK said the issue is out of its remit and is a matter for individual networks."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #572 on: January 08, 2020, 10:11:02 am »
North Wales Police have issued a warning about a new Vodafone scam doing the rounds in North Wales.

Scammers are said to be calling customers and pretending to be from Vodafone to try to obtain personal information, including bank details, from their victims.

Fraudsters are said to be more likely to contact a victim on the Vodafone network, who may believe the call is genuine but could be left out of pocket.

In a tweet, North Wales Police said Vodafone will never ask for customers' full bank details over the phone.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #573 on: January 08, 2020, 10:17:35 am »
Muddying the waters on scams is this news.

"Parking meters, cash registers and a professional wrestling video game have fallen foul of a computer glitch related to the Y2K bug.

The Y2020 bug, which has taken many payment and computer systems offline, is a long-lingering side effect of attempts to fix the Y2K, or millennium bug.

Both stem from the way computers store dates. Many older systems express years using two numbers – 98, for instance, for 1998 – in an effort to save memory. The Y2K bug was a fear that computers would treat 00 as 1900, rather than 2000.

Programmers wanting to avoid the Y2K bug had two broad options: entirely rewrite their code, or adopt a quick fix called “windowing”, which would treat all dates from 00 to 20, as from the 2000s, rather than the 1900s. An estimated 80 per cent of computers fixed in 1999 used the quicker, cheaper option.

“Windowing, even during Y2K, was the worst of all possible solutions because it kicked the problem down the road,” says Dylan Mulvin at the London School of Economics.
Read more: Binary babel: Fixing computing’s coding bugs

Coders chose 1920 to 2020 as the standard window because of the significance of the midpoint, 1970. “Many programming languages and systems handle dates and times as seconds from 1970/01/01, also called Unix time,” says Tatsuhiko Miyagawa, an engineer at cloud platform provider Fastly.

Unix is a widely used operating system in a variety of industries, and this “epoch time” is seen as a standard.

The theory was that these windowed systems would be outmoded by the time 2020 arrived, but many are still hanging on and in some cases the issue had been forgotten.

“Fixing bugs in old legacy systems is a nightmare: it’s spaghetti and nobody who wrote it is still around,” says Paul Lomax, who handled the Y2K bug for Vodafone. “Clearly they assumed their systems would be long out of use by 2020. Much as those in the 60s didn’t think their code would still be around in the year 2000.”

Those systems that used the quick fix have now reached the end of that window, and have rolled back to 1920. Utility company bills have reportedly been produced with the erroneous date 1920, while tens of thousands of parking meters in New York City have declined credit card transactions because of the date glitch."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #574 on: January 08, 2020, 03:18:08 pm »
A convincing fake Santander email has been circulating during the New Year, asking customers to update their online banking security. Here’s what it looks like.

[smg id=4127]

The new year has brought more phishing scams to watch out for, with ever-more convincing designs.

This attempt tells Santander customers to ‘confirm your personal details with us’, threatening that they’ll be locked out of their online banking if they do not follow the instructions.

It claims this is part of an online security update, but giving away your information will potentially give scammers access to your money.

In this case, the fake email looks particularly convincing. It uses high-quality Santander logos, and even includes an advert for a Santander bank account, featuring identical wording to genuine Santander marketing emails.

It’s also almost exactly the same as one we saw back in September, but this time the dates have been updated as the scammers attempt to con people going into 2020.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #575 on: January 15, 2020, 12:08:26 pm »
Diogelwch Cymunedol Canolog/ Com Safety Central                                          ref DP
@NWPComSafCent
*Scam Alert* A female in #Rhyl has reported receiving a phone call from a male claiming to be from BT asking her to change her broadband from Sky. He has asked for her bank details and access to her computer. NEVER give away your bank details or access to your computer. #SCAM

Offline SteveH

« Reply #576 on: January 17, 2020, 01:01:30 pm »
I was going to post this story yesterday, but thought we had, had enough ?  guess who just rang the doorbell, this one saying ex army trying to get back on his feet..................... beware now in Llandudno, possibly coming to a town near you.

Police have issued a warning over door to door sellers trying to sell goods as part of a bogus 'prison release scheme'.

Fraudsters operating in the Llanrwst and Trefriw area are telling residents that they are trying to get back on their feet as part of a project to help ex-cons.
But North Wales Police took to Facebook to confirmed there's no such scheme.   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-warning-over-bogus-prison-17578117

Offline SteveH

« Reply #577 on: January 17, 2020, 01:31:53 pm »
Re above we phoned the police on 101 to advise them of the incident, to be surprised by a visit from a PCSO ten minutes later, telling us they had started looking for the man and others who may be connected.                      $good$                                                                                             

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #578 on: January 17, 2020, 02:32:45 pm »
The Ex Army chap knocked on my door before lunch Wednesday in Conwy. He gave me a brief glimpse of something with an Army motif at the top & stated it was his discharge papers & it was laminated. He said he had been injured in the line of duty & couldn't now get a job so he was reduced to selling door to door. He went on to say lots of my neighbours had bought items from him & would I like to have a look at what he had got. I declined & asked why had he not shown me his license to sell which people normally did. He mumbled something then picked up what looked like a heavy bag & yomped off down the drive at a rate of knots. I did think it could be a scam as he didn't look to be injured in anyway.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #579 on: January 17, 2020, 05:49:45 pm »
The above story has caused a lot interest on social media, apparently they have been seen in deganwy, CYD and Llanrhos today, earlier the police told us they turn up in mini buses, and visit a few houses in a street, then move on quickly.

There was a link to an old news story 2018 in the Manchester Evening News, that explains what they are up to.....

The scam has seen people cold-calling residents while posing as ex-offenders going door to door selling items, according to Greater Manchester Police.

Offenders have told that they are visiting homes as part of a Probation Service scheme.
But officers say there is no such scheme and have warned residents not to answer the door to strangers and to report any incidents.

“There are NO schemes that have ex- offenders going door to door selling wares. They inform us that there has NEVER been such a scheme.

“It only takes a few moments to look online at this activity to realise that it is in actual fact a scam and one that has been peddled in one form or another for decades.

“The goods that are sold are actually purchased at retail for a small amount and then along with their cover story of being an ex offender, trying to get back on their feet etc etc the goods are sold for sometimes 10 times their original value.

“This is a scam that is being carried out on a large scale across the entire country.

Do not entertain these individuals at all. They are part of a scam network with this last team travelling to us from the North East area.

“Our local community is kind and shows empathy and compassion. We do not want you to become victims of this kind of organised criminality.”
Residents have been advised not to answer the door if anyone turns up trying to sell household items.
If confronted in the garden residents are advised to politely say ‘no’ and go inside.

They added: “If the caller is persistent please stay calm and reinforce your message that you are not interested. They will try to get you to look at their items and will start to get things out of their bag laying them out in front of you. If they get to this point it’s very difficult to say no and then you are backed into negotiating a price. That’s what these scammers want, to get you into a position where you just want them gone and to do that will cost say £8 for a set of dish clothes that cost them £1:50 at retail.”

Any incidents should be reported to police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111. Always call 999 in an emergency.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-warning-over-doorstep-scammers-14989863

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #580 on: January 17, 2020, 06:24:39 pm »
One appeared at my door at lunch time, very jumpy and nervous, trying to sell household goods from a Puma bag. He soon scarpered when my husband came up behind me and told him that we didn't need anything.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #581 on: January 22, 2020, 02:53:44 pm »
A new slant on the BT phone scam, first call at 4.45am, 5.15am , 5.45am, 6.15am , and finally after making sure it was not a family member, trying to get us, we blocked the number/s, apart from the rude awakening, it was worrying, it is never good news at that time of the morning.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #582 on: January 22, 2020, 07:38:46 pm »
I recently received an email from my bank which I suspected was fraudulent so I found an email address for their internet security team and forwarded it on to them asking if the email was genuine?

My email triggered an automatic response to contact another department called internet help which provided me with a reply which was unhelpful.

As a consequence, I sent back an email expressing my concerns and I then received another email identical to the last one but from a different individual thus confirming it was nothing more than a template letter.

I thought the banks were now supposed to be playing a more pro active role is trying to stop internet fraud but my experience last week confirms otherwise.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #583 on: January 23, 2020, 10:12:27 am »
The banks have always only been interested in the bottom line. They keep reminding is that they're businesses, and must behave like that.  At the root of it, however, is that as long as the banks don't have to compensate for fraud where the victim can be said to have actively assisted the fraudster (the transfer scam) they will continue to blame the customers.

The 'verified by visa' system is not to help customers despite being touted as such; it's there purely to stop the banks being responsible for fraud on credit card, which they still are.

It's always worth remembering that it was the Banks themselves that created the 2008 crisis, aided and abetted by a city culture which prized absurd risk taking in return for potentially vast profits. I suppose, however, that as long as we're in a financial system which permits speculation and that relies entirely - entirely on 'confidence' then we're all at risk all the time.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #584 on: January 24, 2020, 10:22:16 am »
RHOS-ON-SEA residents are being urged to on the look out after an attempted scam in the area.

A suspicious man has been reported to North Wales Police claiming to be from the Royal Mail.

In a Tweet, a spokesperson for police said: "When asked for ID he ran away. Anyone who is genuine will always be happy to provide ID and wait if you wish to verify it."