Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230494 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #345 on: July 28, 2017, 10:31:51 am »
Police are warning people not to take part in an online survey supposedly from Tesco but actually the work of online fraudsters.
link is circulating offering people the chance of winning free shopping if they take part.
But the link takes people to a malicious website operated by scammers looking to get into their mobile phones and computers and potentially to access their bank accounts.

Action Fraud, the national anti-fraud organisation, said there had been a number of reports about the latest sophisticated scam.

Tweeting an image of the scam link out this morning, it wrote: "Reports of these fake Tesco emails have been flying in. The plausible survey link will lead you to a malicious website."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: July 28, 2017, 11:08:38 am »
As I always say... "you don't get owt for nowt'.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #347 on: August 09, 2017, 02:50:53 pm »
Royal Mail are warning of a new "missed delivery" scam that is duping householders into calling premium rate phone numbers.

Gangs are targeting homes by sending convincing red cards very similar to those used by posties stating that the addressee was out.
Recipients are told to call a number to rearrange a delivery time.

However when they ring the number, which begins with 0208 (which is the code for outer London),
Those calling the number are then put through to an automated message where they are asked to leave their details and a ‘consignment number’.

Victims have claimed that calling the number - which is not registered to Royal Mail - has cost them £45.

A Royal Mail spokesperson said that it was looking into the scam as a “matter of urgency”, adding that people receiving missed delivery notes should be vigilant and ensure that they contain the Royal Mail’s logo.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/royal-mail-warn-fake-delivery-13451935

Offline SteveH

« Reply #348 on: August 17, 2017, 01:15:37 pm »
Family's car stolen from unofficial Manchester Airport meet and greet service and home burgled while on holiday
Thieves who broke into Penrhyn Bay home thought to have used keys and address in family's stolen Audi.

“What’s even worse is that we have to use our own insurance to pursue this, as Car Park Manchester are saying they are only insured when driving the vehicle from the airport drop off/pick up to the compound.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/holiday-familys-car-stolen-unofficial-13485484

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: August 21, 2017, 08:57:54 am »
Family's car stolen from unofficial Manchester Airport meet and greet service and home burgled while on holiday
Thieves who broke into Penrhyn Bay home thought to have used keys and address in family's stolen Audi.

“What’s even worse is that we have to use our own insurance to pursue this, as Car Park Manchester are saying they are only insured when driving the vehicle from the airport drop off/pick up to the compound.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/holiday-familys-car-stolen-unofficial-13485484
Why would you leave your house keys and your address inside your car like that? Did they also leave a note saying 'please feel free to burgle my house whilst I am out of the country'?  &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:28 am »
Manchester used to have the most secure, long-term parking for cars in the UK. They used a hangar on the airport itself, and you drove into it and were taxied back to your terminal. But then they built the new terminal, and that was that.

I can only imagine the car owner has become confused because, as you say, leaving keys inside any car is asking for trouble. It's odd they believe they can't claim against the company, though; any company looking after your vehicle for two weeks has a 'duty of care' in law, so I'd be interested to read the booking Ts and Cs. Even if they say something like 'we take no responsibility for your car' I would suspect that could be challenged under the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, because it sounds very far from reasonable to me.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2017, 09:48:32 am »
I believe the car parking used was not an official Manchester Airport one?

We've used the official Meet & Greet service at Manchester several times and found it very good. Have to say though, the best way is to book a door to door Transfer - costs more but is far more relaxing!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: August 21, 2017, 10:45:14 am »
I agree. We have a relative who operates a service for that.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:21 pm »
The company the family used was Car Park Manchester.  On their website they claim "your car will be kept ensuring your car will be kept in a secure and safe carpark.".  Syntax error aside, I suspect that translates to a secure location.  That's also stressed on the website

In the tiny Ts and Cs, it states "Our insurances cover our legal liabilities and vehicles and contents are left at owners’ risk.
No liability for loss or damage to your vehicle including tyres, trims, wheels, alloy wheels, windscreens, mechanical and structural failures will be considered."

but I would think that any judge would rule that out given their website which states "Secure - Affordable - Professional" on the basis of misleading or false advertising at the very least.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #354 on: August 21, 2017, 03:09:33 pm »
Agreed Ian, that disclaimer surely won't stand up to any kind of challenge.

For what it's worth, I use Jet Parks or FSS, on a regular basis.  They are about £5.50 a day generally and it's never necessary to leave any house keys or other information.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2017, 05:05:47 pm »
You'd be surprised how many people programme their full postal address into their satnavs.
You know where you live so just the town would suffice to get you home without revealing your address to any car thieves.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: August 22, 2017, 09:09:57 am »
The company the family used was Car Park Manchester.  On their website they claim "your car will be kept ensuring your car will be kept in a secure and safe carpark.".  Syntax error aside, I suspect that translates to a secure location.  That's also stressed on the website

In the tiny Ts and Cs, it states "Our insurances cover our legal liabilities and vehicles and contents are left at owners’ risk.
No liability for loss or damage to your vehicle including tyres, trims, wheels, alloy wheels, windscreens, mechanical and structural failures will be considered."

but I would think that any judge would rule that out given their website which states "Secure - Affordable - Professional" on the basis of misleading or false advertising at the very least.

I love this line on their website:

"our trained staffs are fully aware of each and individual drive of every model of vehicle."

?{}?

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2017, 10:11:11 am »
I used to use off-site airport parking until I returned from the far east in the winter and was left freezing and shivering by FSS outside the terminal for an hour waiting for their shuttle bus.  Then Watchdog did an article on off-site airport parking and owners that had received parking and speeding tickets whilst their cars were supposedly in a 'secure compound'. They actually followed and filmed one of their cars fitted with a tracker that had been booked in for 'off-airport parking', and it was used and abused and left in a variety of locations over the two weeks. Ever since I've used the official 'meet and greet' which is superb and now I won't use anything else.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: August 23, 2017, 09:02:40 am »
This is their 'secure facility', basically leaving the cars in the back car park of a hotel:

Offline SteveH

« Reply #359 on: August 23, 2017, 09:11:39 am »
More than 130 car keys stolen and four vehicles taken from unofficial Manchester Airport meet and greet firm.

Other companies are also believed to have been hit, bosses at the firm claim.

Car Park Manchester, which offers a meet and greet-style service, is not affiliated with Manchester Airport.

Bosses said keys were stolen from the firm’s depot in Altrincham, Trafford. Four cars have since been taken.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/more-130-car-keys-stolen-13514942