Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 240690 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Beware of helpful phone calls!
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2012, 09:57:14 pm »
Microsoft Windows *shakes head sadly*  &shake&

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2012, 10:03:16 pm »
Its not actually Microsoft. They just claim to be phoning on behalf of microsoft , just to get your trust.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2012, 11:06:24 pm »
i received a warning which i think should be passed on but i don't know how but ill try this is it (i hope) Do not open any message with an attachment called:"Invitation FACEBOOK", regardless of who sent it.
It is a virus that opens an Olympic torch that burns the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone you had in your address book.
That's why you should send this message to all your contacts.  It is better to receive this email 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.
If you receive E-MAIL called: "Invitation FACEBOOK", though sent by a friend, do not open it and delete it immediately. CNN said it is a new virus discovered recently and that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.
It is a Trojan Horse that asks you to install an adobe flash plug-in.  Once you install it, it's all over. And there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information of their function is saved. wow it worked,

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Gixer181

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2012, 01:24:45 am »
My brother in law had the same and they got very abusive towards him when he questioned them. Then last week we had another one asking to speak to MY DAD who died on the 6th june this year, when we told him he had died she turned round and said she had spoken to him the day before which is strange seeing he died 2 weeks before. :o

Offline 1_rob_1

Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2012, 04:04:20 pm »
The olympic torch "Facebook Virus" is a hoax - it doesnt exist. The message has been in circulation for quite a long time now.
There are a lot of emailed Facebook invitations though which are linked to unsafe websites, so it is best to ignore any email invitations from Facebook, & just check your account manually.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2012, 05:05:38 pm »
A good way to determine whether a warning message is a hoax or not is to copy and paste part of it into Google before posting it anywhere.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2012, 10:29:33 pm »
A good way to determine whether a warning message is a hoax or not is to copy and paste part of it into Google before posting it anywhere.

Correct!!
but you can still get a lot of duff info from some of the sites that are displayed.
One of the most reliable sites is snopes.com
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/virus.asp

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:40 am »
Agreed.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2012, 07:51:37 am »
Unless you use VMWare virtual machines, this won't affect you, but it's better to be forewarned, since it targets both Macs and Windows.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:14 am »
I've been asked by a friend to publish the following:-

"We have what we know is a scam operating from a man in Middlesbrough (Mark Heslehurst) whereby he is asking for (and receiving) money, via the Internet, claiming it's to reunite him and his small son living in Cambodia.  He tells people the son is ill; that he and his Mother are living in poor conditions as refugees, etc.  I did some digging and found that his ex-wife, as she now is (Dominique Dufieux - google her and see), is living a good life there as a lawyer and the child is well - she takes him on hols all over the world! I also found he did the same scam in the USA 2 years ago. The police looked into it and decided he was not breaking any law because he himself actually states that the money will be used for adverts in newspapers and that he will tell his story world wide - which in turn might make the PM in the UK help him get the child back here!  As long as he believes that will happen - he is OK! Money is rolling in - but I am like the proverbial dog with a bone and I won't let him get away with this. People in Harrogate and Birmingham (where he tried to get money earlier) contacted me and we are determined to expose him."
You receive a letter saying that your child's school has entered his/her poem for publication in a book. You can buy a copy of the book for only £xx.xx plus postage. Is this a scam?

Truth is, it's a rather clever moneymaking scheme but, at the same time, it's quite legitimate. If you think the price is affordable and that it might encourage your child to write, then there's no shame in buying a copy. More...

From Pete:-

I publish this in the hope that it might help prevent readers from being similarly scammed, as has just happened to my son.

He had just returned to university a few days ago after working an internship at David Brown Gears during the summer, and was looking at cameras for sale through "Gumtree" - a classified ads website - with a view to upgrading his current digital camera, when he was distracted by an ad for a brand new, unopened, Retina MacBookPro going for only £800. He decided he had to have it.

Now, my wife and I were on holiday and I knew nothing of all this, otherwise I could have advised him that it was probably a scam and not to touch it with a ten-foot barge pole. In actual fact, he had contacted my wife and asked her if he could borrow the money to buy it, paying her back when he got his wages. This, they both kept from me, fearing I would veto it (the amount of stuff that goes on behind dads' backs is amazing, don't you find?!) Besides, we had enough on our plates as number-two son had just lost his wallet on the Isle of Wight and we were frantically trying to cancel debit cards, etc.!

To get back to the story, my son rang the mobile number on the advert, and it was an Orange Ansafone message - as it was every time he rang it. The people on the other end always replied by email.

Turned out that they were selling the unopened RetinaMBP on behalf of their wheelchair-bound auntie who had somehow got it and didn't want it, and the seller didn't want it as they were happy with their current MBP. (Yeah, I know - it gets worse!)

At this point, my son made his interest clear and they got down to business. Apparently, they didn't accept Paypal; they didn't accept credit cards; and if you wanted to pay cash on collection, lo and behold they lived right out in Crediton in Devon - enough distance to prevent most people from collecting! They only really accepted direct bank transfers.

Don't get me wrong, alarm bells were ringing in my son's head - just not loud enough to stop him wanting a RetinaMBP!

He got the address in Crediton, and then asked (all this by email, remember) for proof that they lived there as he was worried about sending all that money to a complete stranger. By return email he received a scanned gas bill with the name Heather Jones on it - the same name he had been dealing with. He decided to take the plunge and transferred the £800 into the account they had given him. Bye-bye, money. Bye-bye summer wage / loan from 'Bank-of-Mum'! Bye-bye camera.

No more emails. He was now getting frantic, and after sending more and more emails, containing more and more pleading for the money back, he finally received one more. It just said something about sex and travel, and the letters "LOL".

Calls to Gumtree's 0845 number were fielded with an 'out-of-hours' notice. Calls to NatWest seemed to hold out hope as both my son's account and the crook's account were with NatWest. The fraud department there took all the details and they said all the right words, but to be honest they probably then put the report at the bottom of a very large pile of similar please for help after they'd hung up.

The police in Devon listened and then confirmed that no such person lived at that address. Furthermore it was the address of a hardware store. He was then given the number of a fraud investigation department of the police and had a long conversation with them during which he could tell the whole story. Then came the hardest phone call of all for my son to make - the one to me.

As luck would have it, I was only about 80 miles from Crediton at the time, and considered a drive round there, but me going to jail for assault with a baseball bat would have just added to the problems, let's face it! So, it occurred to me that Heather Jones might not live there, but she *might* work there and so I found the number of the shop and rang it from the top of the cliff facing Durdle Door in Dorset asking to speak to Mrs Jones. "Is this about the iPad?" the man asked, "I'm sorry but someone is using this address in his scams". Turned out that other people had been going through the same amateur sleuthing that we had been doing after being similarly duped. It seemed that the last scam had been for an iPad, and now a RetinaMBP. The police had been informed by the keeper of the store. One woman had put £500 into an account for the iPad and not received it, and a couple of chaps from Manchester had thought better of paying out the money to strangers and had actually driven all the way down to the address only to find out they had gone on a 'wild goose chase'.

We then knew that all was lost.

The scammer is probably working something like this:

1. He gets a free pay-as-you-go sim card and uses the number in his advert. He then makes sure he never answers the call, asking that interested parties leave their email addresses on the ansafone.

2. He uses a free yahoo.co.uk email address (along with hotmail, googlemail, gmail, etc., the scourge of the Internet!)

3. He sets up a bank account - possibly using the identity of someone whose details he acquired from a previous scam*

4. When he's lured some people into parting with their 'hard-earned' he empties the account and closes it. Easy to do online. He closes the email address and moves onto another one. He then chucks the sim card, or even the whole phone away and forgets the misery he has inflicted, moving onto his next prey.

*Let's face it, he now knows my son's name, AppleID, email address, bank account details, address, mobile phone number - surely enough there to possibly use for the crook's next scam!

For days you are racked with rage and thoughts of getting even with this pond-slime, but to be honest, all you can do is chalk it up to experience and make sure you are never caught out again.

Please don't be caught like this. If something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Pete
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »
I had a phone call early last week from someone claiming to be helping people get compensation for damaged hearing due to working in factories.  I suggested it was a scam, but the guy insisted it wasn't.  He knew I had worked in a factory (although didn't say or ask eher - it was well known for washing machines) and wanted to know if I would be interested in pursuing a claim for loss of hearing.

My hearing isn't as good as it was, but I put that down to age.  He asked if I was free to go for a hearing test this week, and we agreed on yesterday (Tuesday) 10.30am at the YHA Sychnant Pass in Conwy (his pronunciation was something else!).  He also said that I would receive information through the post, but did not ask for my address.

Information was received through the post the following day, from the Industrial Hearing Clinic in Bury.  I googled them and there were people saying it was a scam, but I thought I'd go along and see what happens, making sure I gave away no important details.

I was first seen by a young girl who checked my name and age - her paperwork showed by age as two years less than it really is but I made no effort to correct her.  Then took me for a hearing test.  Put on headphones, she pressed buttons on her keyboard and various sounds were heard - all I had to do was press the button when I heard them.  She made some notes then said my hearing was 12dBA down.

Then I was seen by a man, who said he was from a firm of solicitors in Plymouth, and all he asked me was how long had I worked in a factory (39 and a half years!), what was my role (Design Engineer) and how much noise had been subjected to (bit on the shop floor as I was not confined to the office).  He asked if I was interested in pursuing the claim, I said yes if there was something to gain - but he then said that my hearing was only down by 12dBA so it would be unlikely that I would get anything.  He apologised for having wasted my time - I left!

Something that puzzled me was that the girl did not look into my ears before doing the test, as I know I am in need of having them syringed, so that would have undoubtedly affect the test results!

Just seemed an awful lot of effort if it was a scam - there were a few others going through the same process although no-one I recognised from the many that had worked where I had.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2012, 09:55:21 pm »
I had a similar phone call from someone offering compensation for hearing loss as I'd worked in a factory.  I told them that that was completely untrue, that they should not be calling me as I have caller preference and hung up. 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2012, 07:57:27 am »
Thius is a report of a scam that first occurred in Australia around 2008 and might have resurfaced here recently:

There is a new and clever credit card scam - be wary of those who come bearing gifts. Please circulate this. It just happened to friends of ours a week or so ago in Guildford, and it can pretty well now be happening anywhere else.

It works like this:     

Wednesday (17 October 2012) I had a phone call (I’m in the BT Phone Book) from someone who said that he was from "Express Couriers" asking if I was going to be home because there was a package for me, and the caller said the delivery would arrive at my home in roughly an hour or so. Sure enough, about an hour later, a deliveryman turned up with a beautiful basket of flowers and a bottle of wine. I was very surprised since it did not involve any special occasion or holiday, and I certainly didn't expect anything like it. I wondered who would send me such a gift, I asked  who the sender is. The deliveryman's reply was, he was only delivering the gift package, a card was being sent separately I think; (the card has never arrived!). There was also a consignment note with this gift.

He then went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol, there was a £3.50 "delivery charge" as proof that he had actually delivered the package and not just left it on the doorstep to just be stolen or taken by anyone.

This sounded logical and I offered to pay him cash. He then said, they are not allowed to take cash, the company required the payment to be a credit or debit card only so that everything is properly accounted for, right address etc…

My husband, who, by this time, was standing beside me, pulled his wallet out of his pocket with the credit/debit card, and 'John', the "delivery man", asked my husband to swipe the card on the small mobile card machine, which had a small screen and keypad where Frank was asked to enter the card's PIN and  3 digit security number. A receipt was
printed out and given to us.

To our horrible surprise, between Thursday and the following Monday, £4,000+ had been charged/withdrawn from our credit/debit account at various ATM machines, particularly in the London area!

It appeared that somehow the "mobile credit card machine" which the deliveryman carried now had all the info necessary to create a "dummy" card with all our card details, after my husband swiped our card and entered the requested PIN and security number.

Upon finding out the illegal transactions on our card, of course, we immediately notified the bank, which issued us the card, and our credit/debit account had been closed.

We also personally went to the Police, where it was confirmed by the Police it is definitely a scam, because several households have been similarly hit.

WARNING: Be wary of accepting any "surprise gift or package", which you neither expected nor personally ordered, especially if it involves any kind of payment as a condition of receiving the gift or package. Also, never accept anything if you do not personally know or there is no proper identification of who the sender is.

Above all, the only time you should give out any personal credit/debit card information is when you yourself initiated the purchase or transaction!

Please pass this on; it may just prevent someone else from being swindled by these scumbags

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2012, 08:10:18 am »
The UK version is just the Australian version from 4 years ago rewritten - why do people do this?!

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/flowers-wine-credit-card-scam.shtml