Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230109 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #615 on: March 20, 2020, 10:35:59 am »
POLICE have warned parents to be vigilant against scammers taking advantage of the coronavirus outbreak.

Scammers are said to be sending emails to parents saying that due to school closures, free meals for children will be provided - followed by a request for bank details.

As schools across the UK close due to the virus, North Wales Police's Community Safety Central team took to social media to warn about the fraudulent emails.
It said: "Reports of emails suggesting schools are closing and all pupils are being given free meals followed by a request for bank details so parents can be supported.

"Fraudsters stop at nothing and follow trends to scam you. Nobody will ask for money this way."         ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #616 on: March 20, 2020, 12:08:14 pm »
I had a phone call from someone yesterday saying that my life insurance needed some updating but before he could say any more I told him that I didn't have any life insurance and then I hung up on him
With all this talk of Coronavirus I wonder if he knows something that I don't       :o

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #617 on: March 20, 2020, 02:18:17 pm »
I had the email today about the tv licence direct debit.
They are persistent because it must be at least the fourth one over the past few months.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #618 on: March 22, 2020, 10:36:33 am »
A man has appeared in court charged with making fake kits which claimed to treat Covid-19.

Frank Ludlow, 59, was arrested in a post office near his home in West Sussex on Friday, the City of London Police said.
He was arrested by the force's Intellectual Property Crime Unit after it was contacted by US counterparts.

The kits allegedly contained harmful chemicals which people were being told to use to rinse their mouths with.

Mr Ludlow has been charged with one count of fraud by false representation, one count of possession of articles for use in fraud and one count of unlawfully manufacturing a medicinal product.
He appeared before Brighton Magistrates' Court on Saturday and was remanded in custody until 20 April, police said.

Police officers have urged people to only seek advice from a registered healthcare professional.

Tariq Sarwar, from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, also said people should only buy medicines they need from an authorised seller.
He added when buying online to beware of illegitimate websites and suspicious URLs.             ref BBC

Offline SteveH

« Reply #619 on: March 24, 2020, 10:13:44 am »
** SCAM ALERT** These #scam text messages are doing the rounds. Don’t click on any links. Never give your details. Ignore and delete the message. Please share to family and friends who may not see this warning. Take care, stay safe

Offline SteveH

« Reply #620 on: April 19, 2020, 10:11:22 am »
North Wales Police have issued a warning over a coronavirus scam targeting people during the pandemic.

Fraudsters are sending customers texts, calls and emails claiming to be from HMRC.

The scammers claim that, as a result of the coronavirus crisis, you are now entitled to a tax rebate of hundreds or even thousands of pounds.

The email asks victims to click a link which will then redirect them to a seemingly authentic government website but with one big difference - the URL.

Police have warned people across the region of the scam after receiving a number of reports from residents.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coronavirus-scam-offers-tax-rebate-18112921

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #621 on: April 29, 2020, 07:06:08 pm »
This is an interesting expose of the scammers at work. You may be surprised how professional their premises are, all a part of the deception to put the Indian authorities off their trail.  $angry$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=le71yVPh4uk&feature=emb_logo

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: April 30, 2020, 10:17:00 am »
That is superb.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #623 on: April 30, 2020, 11:04:49 am »
There are four parts to the video I posted and all are essential viewing. The fellow is good at what he does.

Offline Dave

« Reply #624 on: May 06, 2020, 08:11:24 am »
As detailed in today's mail bulletin from Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert page:-

At last... somewhere you can forward scam emails. A reminder from last week. Send them to report@phishing.gov.uk, and the National Cyber Security Centre (part of GCHQ) analyses them and can remove the culprit sites. Pls spread the word.

I can recommend getting the weekly bulletin too. It's saved me a bit of cash in the past, the best was bringing to my attention that if you have a non tax paying spouse you can claim some tax back for up to three years. I was delighted to receive my £600 bonus.

Meantime send those scams and malicious threatening emails in to NCSC

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #625 on: May 06, 2020, 10:18:01 am »
Thanks, Dave.  Added to the useful links page.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #626 on: June 16, 2020, 09:59:39 am »
Sort of a legal scam, but one to watch out for .........."The ads that we use when promoting our service have always included Telephone Connection Service or Call Connection Service

Eight minute Amazon Prime call leaves North Wales gran with £135 phone bill
The third party call-handling firm has been hit with a £1m fine.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/eight-minute-amazon-prime-call-18412557

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #627 on: June 16, 2020, 10:34:29 am »
It's worth remembering that if you need to contact Amazon go to My Account / Help / Contact us
Amazon don't seem to make it easy to find, but their customer service is superb.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #628 on: July 13, 2020, 10:38:48 am »
A WOMAN has lost £10,000 after becoming a victim of a scam. ref Pioneer

The woman, who lives in Gloddaeth Avenue in Llandudno, received a phone call from a person claiming to be from HSBC.

She allowed them access to her computer and as a result, lost the huge sum of money.

North Wales Police Community Safety Central tweeted on July 13: "They received a phone call from a person claiming to be from HSBC, they said there was an irregular transaction on their account.

"The resident allowed access to their computer and has sadly lost £10,000."

North Wales Police have been approached for further information.

For guidance about how to protect yourself against fraud, visit: www.hsbc.co.uk/help/security-centre/fraud-guide

Offline SteveH

« Reply #629 on: August 10, 2020, 02:49:19 pm »
Scammers claiming to be working for Amazon have succeeded in stealing thousands of pounds from unsuspecting victims in North Wales.

The fraudsters have been targeting elderly people in the region by calling them and claiming to be from online retailer Amazon.

Over the weekend, two victims who live on Anglesey were left out of pocket to the tune of £10,000 and £7,500 after being scammed.
In order to steal money, the scammers persuaded the victims to allow remote access to their computer.
They proceeded to gain access to the victim’s bank account and withdraw a significant amount of money.

Police said scams similar to this one reduced considerably during lockdown but now, with more call centres opening, the numbers of scam reports are increasing again.

Financial abuse safeguarding officer DC Rachel Roberts said: "Unfortunately, reports of scam phone calls have started to increase in the area and we believe that elderly members of the community are more vulnerable to being caught out by these tactics.

"If you have an elderly neighbour, family member or friend, please share the message that if you receive an unexpected phone call, or other communication, you should stop to consider whether this call might not be genuine.

“Companies such as Amazon wouldn’t call you out of the blue and make unsolicited requests to remote access your computer. If this happens to you, hang up and contact the company back on a known direct phone number.”

If you receive a suspicious phone call, report it to Action fraud on 0300 123 2040 or via their  website.      ref DP