Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 228026 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #555 on: November 04, 2019, 09:57:47 am »
Police warning over fake bank notes circulating in North Wales - how to spot them
Officers have seized a fake £50 note in the Abergele area

Business owners are being warned by police about people using counterfeit cash in the region.

North Wales Police has said that they seized a fake Irish £50 note from a shop in Abergele after it was used recently, and believe more money could be in circulation
They have asked shopkeepers to be vigilant when taking notes.

"You can usually suspect a fake note based on the texture and poor imaging and if in any doubt…do not accept it!"    ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #556 on: November 06, 2019, 10:40:53 am »
People are being warned about scammers posing as one of the largest network providers in the UK to try to con you out of your cash with a text message.
EE customers who receive the text could be left out of pocket if they click the link or reply to the message.

The text reads: "EE: We were unable to process your latest bill.

"In order to avoid fees, update your billing information via (fraudulent link)."

An EE spokesperson said: "Our dedicated fraud team works hard to keep our customers safe from scams, and customers should forward any suspicious texts to 7726 so they can be investigated.

A spokesperson from Action Fraud said: "Be cautious about answering calls and text messages from unsolicited numbers you don't recognise, especially if they start 084, 087, 080 or 090.    more  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ee-scam-text-being-used-17203229

Offline Dave

« Reply #557 on: November 07, 2019, 07:24:30 pm »
Is it me ? Am I the only one who is now getting bombarded with the same scammer phone call telling me that my computers been hacked and they are going to cut off my internet connection if I don't press 1 or 2. I can't block the number as it's from a different mobile number every time. Same monotonous recording though.
My only revenge is to try and increase their phone bill but not putting the phone down but I'm not even sure that's any point. They probably don't pay their bill anyway!!

If anyone has any idea on how to stop them do share!!

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #558 on: November 08, 2019, 08:50:13 am »
You're not the only one, Dave; and the scammer isn't calling from a mobile.  The scammers use VOIP to make scam calls, so it won't cost them a penny. If you visit this site in Which? you'll find a lot out about the issue.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #559 on: November 11, 2019, 09:48:07 am »
The British Gas e-mail scam that's scarily realistic and catching people out
Fraudsters have been targeting the utility firm's customers, including some in North Wales.

Customers are receiving an e-mail which claims there has been an issue with their bill and prompts them to check their details.

However, if they click the seemingly genuine link on the authentic looking e-mail, customers could see their accounts compromised .

The scammers are relying on the fact that British Gas is one of the leading providers in the UK, which increases the odds that someone will fall victim to the scam.
The e-mail, which has been seen by North Wales Live reads: “Your bank has declined the latest direct debit payment.

“British Gas wants to inform you that your last payment of £27.98 GBP has been declined.
“Something’s gone wrong with your direct debit payments. Your bank has been declined the latest Direct Debit payment.
“If you don’t keep up with your payments, you risk becoming disconnected.

“Please follow the procedure and check your information by clicking the 'Check Details' button.”     cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/british-gas-e-mail-scam-17226188

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #560 on: November 11, 2019, 03:56:46 pm »
Last week I watched a few programmes on BBC TV at 9.15 am.    The Programmes were called " For Love or Money" and the presenter was Kym Marsh together with a male IT investigator.

Basically it was an online dating website and featured mainly women, but also some men who had been conned out of money by the person they met on line.     The trickster used a fake identity and photograph that they obtained from the internet and then over a period of time groomed the people into believing that they were in a relationship with them and then they asked for money

One woman who was interviewed said that "she was in love with this man "  and over a period of time gave him £60K  even though she had never met him  and once the con man was exposed of course the relationship terminated

The con was quite sophisticated and the people interviewed seemed intelligent enough but alarm bells should have rung once a total stranger asked them for money.       Whether the people were desperate, vulnerable or just gullible only they will know but it left a number of them in a difficult financial position

Offline SteveH

« Reply #561 on: November 15, 2019, 09:58:38 am »
Shoppers are being warned not to get caught out by a fake £50 supermarket voucher online.

The scam claims that Tesco is celebrating its anniversary and that anyone who shares a link will be sent a £50 coupon.
The voucher has been shared widely across Facebook and is branded with the Tesco logo and slogan "Every little helps".

It states that "Tesco has announced that everyone who shares this link will be sent a £50 coupon for it's anniversary. TODAY ONLY."

Cont.... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/scam-warning-over-fake-tesco-17259576

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #562 on: November 17, 2019, 09:52:11 am »
The latest Scam is one where you're alerted there's a document to read on your bank's website:

NatWest

Hello,
A new document  is available on your Personal Space,
Click below to view it:
 My Online Personnal Banking
Sincerely,
Your customer advisor.

Spelling and incredibly bad grammar and syntax give it away, but as always never, ever click on a link in an email.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #563 on: November 21, 2019, 10:02:52 am »
A nasty and well-written scam has started dong the rounds: the scam is along the current lines of 'your payment has failed - please update your details' but it's far better written and designed than most of this type of scam.

[smg id=4123]

Once again, the advice to never, ever follow a link in an email holds true.  If you get one of these contact the company concerned independently.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #564 on: November 21, 2019, 10:33:42 am »
And to add to Ians above...... two more from the DP

Scam warning as 'courier' fraudsters steal cash from victims in North Wales
Criminals are posing as police officers in order to steal money.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/scam-warning-courier-fraudsters-steal-17291479

Tax bosses urgent warning over HMRC scam targeting 'millions' in the run up to Christmas
Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs says they have received nearly 900,000 reports of bogus correspondences.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tax-bosses-urgent-warning-over-17288909

Offline SteveH

« Reply #565 on: November 28, 2019, 09:35:52 am »
There has been an alarming rise in the number of people receiving fake texts claiming to be from the council.
Anglesey Council have now issued a warning over the scam which is now doing the rounds in North Wales.
For this particular scam, fraudsters are texting locals claiming to be from the council - in this particular case Anglesey Council.

The text tells the recipient that they are 'eligible for a council tax refund' and are prompted to click a link in the message which will take them to a tax return form.

The Trading Standards Section of Anglesey Council reported that they had received reports that scammers are targeting residents from a 01248 750057 number.                ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #566 on: November 29, 2019, 12:06:36 pm »
PayPal has issued a warning about a phishing scam targeting users in the run-up to Chritsmas.

The fraudsters are texting customers to tell them that their account is under review due to “suspicious activity”.

A Llandudno woman who asked not to be named told North Wales Live  she received a text prompting her to log in to her account via the link to “remove any pending restrictions”.

The link redirects customers to a seemingly authentic website with the address of "PayPal.login-user-9832.com" which looks like the standard PayPal login page, she added.

PayPal says the scammers are mimicking the structure of real PayPal messages in an attempt to lure victims into giving up their login details.

A spokesperson said: “At PayPal, we go to great lengths to protect our customers in the UK, but there are still a few, simple precautions we should all take to avoids scams.   cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/warning-over-fake-paypal-scam-17326335

Offline SteveH

« Reply #567 on: December 04, 2019, 03:35:36 pm »
This has appeared while searching Wikipedia, is it a scam...?   have tried a few test sites, showing on all.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We ask you, humbly, to help.
 Hi, reader in the UK, it seems you use Wikipedia a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but this Wednesday we need your help. Time is running out in 2019 to help us. We’re a non-profit and we don't have salespeople. We depend on donations averaging £10, and fewer than 2% of readers give. If you donate just £2, the price of your Wednesday coffee, Wikipedia could keep thriving. Thank you.
Please select a payment method

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #568 on: December 04, 2019, 05:57:30 pm »
I don't think so;  Wiki asks each year at around this time for donations. Another version is this:

"It's a little awkward, so we'll get straight to the point: This Wednesday we humbly ask you to defend Wikipedia's independence. 98% of our readers don’t give; they simply look the other way. We depend on donations averaging £10 from the exceptional readers who give. If you donate just £2, the price of your Wednesday coffee, Wikipedia could keep thriving. Most people donate for a simple reason—because Wikipedia is useful. We know that most people will ignore this message. But today, we ask you, if Wikipedia provided you £2 worth of knowledge this year, please take a minute to help keep it growing. Thank you."

Wiki is pretty good, but I'm biased as I'm a subject editor for them. I don't - I hasten to add - get any money at all, but most of us who contribute do so because we believe in the idea of accurate knowledge freely available.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #569 on: December 20, 2019, 01:38:36 pm »
If you ever wondered how companies to whom you've never signed up get hold of your email address, wonder no further.