Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230201 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #540 on: August 10, 2019, 02:42:40 pm »
It's at the top of the search page because it's a paid for advertisement and they always appear at the head of the list. On the next line under the Blue Header is a green box with Ad in. There are often 6 or 7 such listed at the top of your search results. My best advice is to avoid them entirely and scroll down to the genuine results below
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Dave

« Reply #541 on: August 10, 2019, 02:54:30 pm »
It's at the top of the search page because it's a paid for advertisement and they always appear at the head of the list. On the next line under the Blue Header is a green box with Ad in. There are often 6 or 7 such listed at the top of your search results. My best advice is to avoid them entirely and scroll down to the genuine results below

Yes, We both know that paid for adverts come first but the point is that you can easily be fooled if you are too complacent. My eyes simply homed in on the CAR ROAD TAX and "renew car tax online" which was nicely placed at eye level. Someone I know has since told me they fell for it and didn't realise they had signed up for a monthly charge until they got their credit card bill.

Offline mull

« Reply #542 on: August 10, 2019, 05:42:22 pm »
So annoying.

Trying to book a hotel is as bad. Usually I try to use the hotels own website but this morning whilst trying to book a hotel in Glasgow, for a hospital appointment next week, a number of agencies came in over the top of it. Hard to pick out the correct website.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #543 on: August 19, 2019, 11:15:46 am »
I was sick and tired of getting monthly bills of over £70.00 from BT for my phone and broadband so I switched to Plusnet and get the same service for just £31.99, a saving of over £40,00 per month

Last week, I unexpectedly received a prepaid card from Plusnet and had no idea what it was for and read the small print at the bottom of the letter and it said that the Plusnet reward card is managed by Hawk Incentives Ltd.     There was no mention of any APR rate but I don't trust anything like this  so today I phoned Plusnet and spoke to an adviser and asked him why I had received the card and what was it for.

The reply I got was that it was a reward for me as a new customer of Plusnet.    The card had been set up with £65.00 which I was free to spend anywhere.      So where is the catch I asked and how much APR  is charged on the £65.00.   He repeated himself again and said that it was a goodwill gesture by Plusnet and there is no APR involved, the money is simply a gift from Plusnet.   I did ask him why can't it go into my Plusnet account so it can pay my monthly charge and he said that it can but that I must go to the bank with that card and arrange the transfer

This conversation was then sent back to me by e-mail so I have that info in writing but I am still suspicious of getting something for nothing.          I'm not stupid but the fact that the card is managed by Hawk Incentives means that there is an alternative reason behind this

Before I go and cash my new found money has any other Plusnet  forum member had something similar happen to them?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #544 on: August 20, 2019, 11:11:47 am »
Sounds like a bonus for switching where in the past you would have received high street vouchers but now they give you a pre paid card.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #545 on: August 20, 2019, 12:02:14 pm »
I've set up the account and activated the card so I'll be off to the bank soon to collect my £65.00  but I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I get the cash in my hand.
I've just had an e-mail about the Mastercard and here's the catch
"You can use your Plusnet Rewards Card in the same way as any other Mastercard® debit or prepaid card, as long as there is enough money on it. There are a couple of restrictions - you can't use it to withdraw cash, get cashback at a store, or to pay for fuel at self-service pumps"

That's not what I was led to believe by the operator I spoke to, but we'll see how we get on when buying any groceries etc

Offline DVT

« Reply #546 on: August 24, 2019, 09:51:57 am »

Hang on to items delivered "by mistake" ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49450485

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #547 on: August 24, 2019, 10:28:35 am »
Yes.

Once upon a time, a courier would arrive in a Courier branded vehicle but not any more.

These days, one answers the front door to an individual you do not know with a private car parked outside so I can understand how easy it is to scam somebody.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #548 on: August 31, 2019, 10:58:16 am »
People are being warned about a bizarre new scam where callers are saying they are wanted by police.

North Wales Police are asking members of the public to be aware of a scam where people are phoned and told that police are after them.
They are told that a warrant has been issued for their arrest.

A police spokesman said: "We are aware people are being called and advised that a warrant has been issued for their arrest and to "press 1" in order to avoid this action.

" North Wales Police will never call you in this way and be aware this is a scam."

On their website, they said: "Fraudsters often try to trick older or vulnerable people out of their money by telephoning them at home and pretending to be someone trustworthy.
"Fraudsters often claim to be officials and can seem very genuine. But you should always remember that callers may not be who they claim to be, even if they already seem to know details such as your name and address."

Their advice includes never giving out your PIN number, avoiding people claiming to be calling to fix your computer and being aware of anybody asking for money in advance.

The most common type of fraud in impacting older people in North Wales is "safe account" fraud, where fraudsters persuade victims to transfer money into accounts that the fraudsters provide, claiming that will protect the victim’s money from fraud.

They added that people should never be afraid to put the phone down, be sceptical of all callers and never give out personal information to unexpected callers.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #549 on: September 19, 2019, 06:01:31 pm »
FRAUDSTERS are targeting north Wales residents stealing their money using a phone scam.

North Wales Police are warning the public to be alert after a "significant rise" in residents receiving automated messages claiming that £600 has been taken from their bank accounts.

The victim is then prompted to press ‘1’ for further information which connects the victim to a fraudster.
The fraudster then asks the victim to confirm personal details or advises the victim that they need to transfer funds to another account.
Once the money is sent there is little chance of getting it back.

Financial abuse safeguarding officer DC Rachel Roberts said: “The people committing these types of fraud are insistent and often don’t give victims time to think.
"They are very persuasive and may have some of the victim’s personal details which make the fraudsters appear genuine.”

“These criminals will target the most vulnerable people in our communities in order to scam them out of large sums of money and I would ask that people remain vigilant and to warn relatives and neighbors.”

Police advice:
If you receive an automated message claiming there has been fraudulent activity on your account hang up. If you are concerned call your bank on a trusted phone number.
If a caller asks you to move money or to have money at your address ready for collection end the call immediately.

Do not give personal details, including banking details, to anyone you do not know either in person, over the telephone or email, or on social media as these details can be used to steal your identity.

Beware of cold calls even when the caller appears to have personal information such as your address, date of birth or bank account details.

If an offer seems too good to be true it usually is. Take time to think about what is being offered or asked of you.

Residents are asked to report these calls to Action Fraud (www.actionfraud.police.uk) or call on 0300 123 2040. For further information visit the North Wales Police public web page and clicking on the fraud information box.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #550 on: September 25, 2019, 09:51:31 am »
REF Daily Post, copy of FB message,
22 hours ago
"Just had a phone call from 'Thomas Cook refund agent' going to give me a refund on the holiday I have purchased (no I havent) just need my card details and 3 digit number on back to refund me .......... this is disgusting.. people have lost their jobs and livelihoods and people are already scamming rx 🤬🤬🤬🤬"

Offline SteveH

« Reply #551 on: October 16, 2019, 12:23:02 pm »
People are being warned about a scam using one common women’s names to trick them out of your cash.

Most people will know of someone called ‘Emma’, but replying to a text to one person calling themselves that will leave victims £20 out of pocket.
Fraudsters are playing on people emotions by sending a distressed sounding message from what appears to be an ordinary mobile number.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-who-know-anyone-called-17084545

Offline SteveH

« Reply #552 on: October 20, 2019, 07:55:06 pm »
Warning  Fake Irish £50 notes in North Wales...BEWARE

Offline SteveH

« Reply #553 on: October 21, 2019, 03:56:58 pm »
Warning  Fake Irish £50 notes in North Wales...BEWARE

Two men and a woman with Irish accents,were arrested after reports of fake £50 notes being used in shops.   ref DP

Good news, but still be vigilant.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #554 on: October 28, 2019, 12:10:35 pm »
Men going door to door trying to sell goods and claiming they're on a prisoner release scheme are bogus, police have warned.

Conmen are telling people they are trying to get back on their feet as part of a project to help ex-cons. But North Wales Police have confirmed there's no such scheme.

They say anyone who is approached should ask the men to leave and phone police on the non-emergency 101 number.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/prisoner-release-doorstep-callers-what-17158076