Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 75039 times)

SteveH

• Newshound
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #465 on: November 26, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
I think the simplified version, as I understand it,  Diesel affects our health due to poor air quality, and the lead in petrol affects the ozone layer, resulting in contributing to global warming.   

squigglev2

« Reply #466 on: November 26, 2018, 11:57:41 AM »
I think the lead aspect of petrol (see eg. here. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
) has gone Steve.  But otherwise what the two fuels may produce is probably reasonable...

andyCYD

« Reply #467 on: November 27, 2018, 11:37:47 AM »
It is very difficult to find any reliable information about which is best for the environment, petrol or diesel?  They have different impacts and technology is changing continually.  There were benefits of diesel over petrol a few years ago which are not so clear now because the design of petrol engines has improved so much.

My conclusion is that if you want a small car for driving around town you should select a petrol engine.  This is because it will emit less particulates.  However, if you want a larger car for driving on open roads you want a diesel engine because you will use less fuel, emit less CO2 and particulates are not such a concern. 

There are so many other factors to take into consideration.  For example, how much energy does it take to produce a litre of petrol vs diesel?  If we only look at the emissions from the car we overlook the full impacts.  Also, how much energy does it take to manufacture the engine and how long will it last?  From what I can see diesel engines seem to outlive petrol my quite a margin, which is significant.

Another factor is the real life experience.  I know diesels are not great to drive in slow and stop-start traffic.  But small petrol engines are not great on open roads.  Large petrol engines use so much fuel that it is hard to see any environmental justification.

I am a bit bemused by Steve's mention of lead.  This was removed from petrol about 20 years ago because it was causing brain damage.  I am not aware of it having any effect on the ozone layer (that was CFCs).

SteveH

• Newshound
« Reply #468 on: November 27, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
Sorry Andy, that's what I get for not putting brain in gear, I was thinking generally in terms of exhaust emissions, carbon monoxide and nitrous oxide,  :-[   

Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #469 on: November 27, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
We are car enthusiasts so have several cars, a Fiesta with a tiny 1.4 petrol engine, ideal for local stuff, easy to park etc, a Mercedes estate which is a 2.7 turbo diesel for longer runs and carrying bulky items, does about 48mpg on a long run, then the 3 hobby cars, all Mercedes-Benz,  a 2.3 petrol saloon, a SL320 sports car 3.2 petrol,  and the big one is a CL55AMG which has a 5.4 litre V8 petrol engine. Think that just about covers every variation lol.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

SteveH

• Newshound
« Reply #470 on: November 28, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
'Rip-off' 118 calls spark price crackdown

The price of a call to directory inquiries will be capped at 3.65 for 90 seconds.
Phone industry regulator Ofcom said it is responding to a "steep" rise in prices.
The most popular service, 118 118, charges 11.23 for a 90 second call, the regulator said.

The number of calls being made to 118 services has been falling by 40% a year, but more than a million people a year still use the service.
Many of those using 118 services are elderly, Ofcom said.

People aged over 65 are four times more likely to call 118 numbers than those aged between 16 and 34. They are also "significantly" less likely to have internet access, meaning they cannot search for a number online.

"Directory inquiry prices have risen in recent years, and callers are paying much more than they expect. Our evidence shows this is hurting people, with some struggling to pay their bills," said Jane Rumble, Ofcom's director of consumer policy.

The regulator found that some providers are charging almost 20 for a 90-second call.

Although there are cheaper services, customers tend to call the numbers they can most easily remember, Ofcom's study found.                     
  More    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #471 on: November 28, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »
Thanks for bringing that to our attention Steve.     It's a complete rip off and I did post something on here earlier this year about the directory enquiry 118 call
My wife tried to contact me by phone but couldn't as my mobile was not working and in a panic dialled the 118 number.    It cost her over 9.00 for a short duration phone call and in the end the 118 operator said that they couldn't find the phone number!

She was looking for the phone number of The Queens Hotel  Promenade Llandudno and the operator couldn't find it.     >:(

Dave

« Reply #472 on: November 28, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
I was just reading this out loud to my other half and added "just realised we haven't had a new phone book recently" to which she added " no, we haven't had one for years".
As an over 65 I haven't phoned a directory enquiry service either.
Google is so much quicker!