Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230226 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #420 on: March 24, 2018, 07:41:05 am »
The HSBC dept that normally does this is their fraud department, and their argument (tenuous in the extreme) is that they're trying to ascertain if your accounts have been compromised and if you don't respond they have to lock the accounts concerned.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #421 on: March 24, 2018, 10:20:24 am »
On this occasion, Ian, they wanted to gather additional personal information about me to help with their security.

e.g. - the value of our home and my personal income.  :o

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: March 24, 2018, 11:05:52 am »
Interesting - and none of their business, I'd have thought.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #423 on: March 24, 2018, 12:30:25 pm »
Barclays are currently carrying out a similar exercise.

It is not just for the bank but it includes their insurance and investment divisions.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #424 on: May 09, 2018, 10:31:40 am »
Quite often I get calls from "London" numbers such as

020 3009 2114

Always different numbers, If I answer it's silence if I ring back number is not recognised.

What kind of scam is this?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #425 on: May 09, 2018, 11:55:02 am »
Quite often I get calls from "London" numbers such as

020 3009 2114

Always different numbers, If I answer it's silence if I ring back number is not recognised.

What kind of scam is this?

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/28892/0203-code-phone-number-scam-cost-who-owns-this
Valar Morghulis

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #426 on: May 09, 2018, 12:10:05 pm »
But why when I answer it's just silent? They need to up their game a bit if they want to make some real money!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2018, 06:47:58 pm »
Current scam: some folk are getting emails that seem to come from a marketplace trader in Amazon. It's not certain what this is about as yet, but best not to click on the links in the email. Or on any links in emails, frankly.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #428 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:59 pm »
I have a car for sale on eBay at the moment, had a message last night saying ' will pay your asking price if you will take my item in exchange' , some strange wording like that anyway. I asked what the item was, but could not send the reply. I knew it was a scam from the odd wording , the link supplied was to a eBay log in page which of cause would be fake! The odd wording gave it away, but when they use normal language such as ' hi, I'm interested in your car...' that's when it will be easy to fall for it!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #429 on: June 02, 2018, 09:43:38 am »
We recently sold a car on Ebay and had the same text message after it was sold.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2018, 01:28:31 pm »
Andy,  one of my neighbours listed their car on eBay for something like £3,000
It didn’t sell, but eBay sent them a bill for £500 due to the reserve not being met.
It’s in their terms and conditions apparently,  what’s all that about?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #431 on: June 02, 2018, 03:40:11 pm »
No idea, sounds extremely unfair though! Was it a genuine eBay request? Mine is a classified advert, costs about £15 for a month, not much good though, only one spammer reply!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #432 on: June 14, 2018, 02:30:27 pm »
A bartender “suckered” by a brazen fake money scam has warned others to be vigilant against similar cons.

The 18-year-old had just finished a shift when he was approached by a young woman in Llandudno .
He recognised her as somebody he’d given £2 to for a bus fare just two weeks earlier.

“She approached me, saying that she was thankful for me giving her money and wanted to give me £5 for my help and to repay the favour, but unfortunately she only had a £20 note,” he said.
“I originally told her that it was fine and that I didn’t need the money, but she wanted to repay it.

“I eventually decided to get the money from the cash machine, but she said she needed to go and would just give me a £20 note that she had in her hand for the £10 I was going to get.
“I gave her the £10 note and she gave me the £20 note, then she made a run for it.”

To his horror, the note was fake and the scammer even had the gall to leave a message on the reverse that read: “Ha Ha!!! Sucker” alongside a smiley face.

He said: “A taxi driver has seen it happen before where people have been drawing money out of the machine and she’s snatched it.
“A few people have messaged me on Facebook and said it’s happened to them as well. A couple have even been in touch identifying the woman so I’ve told the police.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/fake-money-llandudno-scam-note-14783580

Offline Hugo

« Reply #433 on: June 14, 2018, 02:40:54 pm »
I've just read that article too Steve, let's hope that they catch the pair asap

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2018, 04:14:52 pm »
Two men were outside M & S on Mostyn Street today selling copies of 'The Veterans Journal'. Just in time for Armed Forces day.

The details of Wayne Kirtley's charity and his connections with previous dubious armed forces charities are outlined in this report https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/big-issues-veterans-journal-magazine-11947089 and make for uncomfortable reading.

They were reported to the Police who have passed all the details on to Trading Standards.

Quite frankly, I find these cons and scams (for that is all they are) on the insinuation that they armed forces charities sickening.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.