Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230223 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #360 on: August 23, 2017, 09:28:44 am »
I suspect they won't be trading for a lot longer.  The problem is, of course, that even if they become bankrupt from claims the directors can simply start a new company. We've seen this with the cold calls companies, who've been fined millions, yet simply declare insolvency and then start up new companies. The law needs to deal with individual directors.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #361 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:22 am »
If people go to CC to make their own claims they can do it for the individual as well as the company so they can be tracked down and made to pay these claims can then be escalated to high court writs.

Can't pay we'll take it away is a good show on channel 5  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: August 23, 2017, 11:06:21 am »
If people go to CC to make their own claims they can do it for the individual as well as the company so they can be tracked down and made to pay these claims can then be escalated to high court writs.
I'm not sure that's the case, sadly? A company is a separate legal entity and the person's contract is with them, rather than the director.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #363 on: August 23, 2017, 11:19:35 am »
All I can say is I've definitely seen bailiffs go to the person's home because they had a business debt but the writ was made out in the name of the individual rather than the business. So it must be possible although I don't know the inns and outs.

I think you should stop watching that awful game of thrones programme and watch channel 5 instead!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #364 on: August 23, 2017, 12:14:57 pm »

Can't pay we'll take it away is a good show on channel 5  $good$

I wish it were true BTR but as far as I'm aware debts owed by the Limited company can only be collected from the Limited Company.    The directors cannot be taken to the CC to reclaim a debt owed by their company.
It's wrong but that's the law and over the years, I've seen so many individuals form companies and then put them into liquidation and start another company.     It's not just Bob the Builder who has done this but solicitors, accountants freemasons and many others who claim that they are the pillars of the community.

Now in a partnership, each partner is liable for a debt incurred by the partnership should the other partner(s) default in making payment.     If the law applies to the partnership you would think that it could apply to the directors of limited companies but sadly it doesn't.     

You're spot on with "Can't pay we'll take it away is a good show on channel 5  $good$"    it's well worth watching and a bit of an eye opener too.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #365 on: August 23, 2017, 12:17:36 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4815870/130-cars-keys-stolen-airport-meet-greet-firm.html

The couple from Penrhyn Bay have even made the pages of the far right!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #366 on: August 23, 2017, 12:20:36 pm »
On a similar line

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4814606/800-000-families-face-crisis-sub-prime-loan-firm-tanks.html

Although I don't see why this is bad for their lenders. Surely it's great for them?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #367 on: August 23, 2017, 12:34:59 pm »
All I can say is I've definitely seen bailiffs go to the person's home because they had a business debt but the writ was made out in the name of the individual rather than the business. So it must be possible although I don't know the inns and outs.

I think you should stop watching that awful game of thrones programme and watch channel 5 instead!

I watch that show B2R, and you're right in what you saw, but in a different way.
The bailiffs are following up a business debt, often at the home of the Director of the business...because that address is listed as the registered business address.
If the man pays up, (from his business account), then fine... but usually they can't or won't.
Then the bailiffs have the job of trying to seize assets, such as cars or computers that are part of the business asset.
The crooks are usually too clever for that, and the cars are in 'their wife's name' or suchlike, and can't be touched.  It's a great show, a little frustrating sometimes.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: August 24, 2017, 09:12:12 am »
I've seen 'Can't pay etc etc' quite a few times and it is very entertaining. It's a sad fact that there are a few people out there who make a career of running up bills and then refusing to pay them.

When you run a business, you can either do it as a Sole Trader or as a Ltd Company. If you're a sole trader, then you can have a separate  business name, business bank account but you are responsible for all debts etc incurred in the name of the business. If you set up a business as a Ltd Company, then it is completely separated from you with its own bank account etc. For the person setting up the Ltd Company, the key phrase is 'limited liability' - they can only lose the amount they invested in shares in the company and are not liable for any debts incurred by the company itself etc.

Doubt I've explained that very well!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: August 24, 2017, 10:59:57 am »
That's exactly my understanding, Dave. Limited companies are set up to shelter the owners and directors from financial liabilities. There have been some slight moves to change things but the majority of MPs being lawyers and businessmen haven't exactly put a lot of effort into sorting the law out.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: August 28, 2017, 02:11:16 pm »
It would appear this one is set to run and run:

Car Park Manchester blames mother

In their statement they say "We have 24/7 CCTV and at least 12 members of staff on site at all times. The compound is gated and lit with floodlights and is also Park Mark Awarded by the BPA".

I still think their biggest blunder was in so quickly attempting to repudiate any suggestion of liability.  Obviously nowhere is completely secure 100% of the time, but would it not seem appropriate for them to carry insurance to cover the potential risk?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: August 29, 2017, 09:40:55 am »
It would appear this one is set to run and run:

Car Park Manchester blames mother

In their statement they say "We have 24/7 CCTV and at least 12 members of staff on site at all times. The compound is gated and lit with floodlights and is also Park Mark Awarded by the BPA".

I still think their biggest blunder was in so quickly attempting to repudiate any suggestion of liability.  Obviously nowhere is completely secure 100% of the time, but would it not seem appropriate for them to carry insurance to cover the potential risk?
Interesting comment on the Daily Post article:
"Should have done their home work. This business has NO reputation to defend! Plenty of bad reviews on various websites, and plenty of previous coverage in the Manchester Evening News as well. Car Park Manchester is a trading name of Manchester Meet and Greet Ltd who operate TWO meet and greet websites. I wouldn't describe the grounds of Davenport Green Hall, a Grade 2 listed building on Shay Lane in Hale Barns, a suitable car park for cars. Indeed, that's what the local Trafford Council think, who have an enforcement notice issued against the property owner. The business should be off the land by now I think, having just lost an appeal. As for security, other than a DIY camera kit fitted to a building, there are no cameras actually covering the cars, and the gates are always left open. They also used to leave vehicles off site on a private road with public access. They can't dispute that, as it was in the planning inspectorates report. Dealing with these people always seems to leave people in tears."

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #372 on: August 29, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »
"The Firth family, from Penrhyn Bay, booked their vehicle with Car Park Manchester, on July 31, at a cost of £82, before they jetted off on a two week holiday to Menorca"

£82 - seems a bit steep to me as well. How much is a taxi to Manchester?
If you could time your bookings so that you were picking someone up in Manchester shortly after you were dropping someone off then you'd think there would be good money to be made.

Even if you only charged £50 E/W. Making two round trips a day would make you £200 a day - or £1000 for a five day weeks. That's only working 4/5 hours a day as well, I know some taxi drivers work a lot longer for a lot less.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #373 on: August 29, 2017, 05:16:15 pm »
I pay about £80 one way for a private hire car, recently the price has risen because of bridge toll and airport drop off charges,.....yes you have to pay, just to drop off at Liverpool airport, not sure about Manchester.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #374 on: August 29, 2017, 09:53:44 pm »
With Quidco and also Holiday Extras 15%?discount for less than the cost of a return taxi/private hire car to and from Manchester or Liverpool airport I have been able to book a combined hotel room on the night before the flight and a week or even two weeks parking in a park and ride car park.

I totally avoid "leave the keys with us" parking ever since the suspension coils on a reasonably new car we had stangely all collapsed at the same time on the way back from the airport car park.

A family with 2 children would I imagine be possibly cheaper to go with a hire car.

Last time I even considered the return train journey to and from Manchester airport but that was prohibitively expensive.