Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230809 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2017, 02:12:50 pm »
I've just had a phone call from a man calling himself Michael but in a very heavy Asian accent.   He said he was from Microsoft securities and was phoning about my computer.
When I told "Michael" I hadn't got a computer he just put the phone down.    I wonder why he did that?      ;D

That's interesting, Hugo - I got a similar call on my phone today. A man with a foreign (Asian-sounding) accent claiming to be with Microsoft. I wonder if they just target a different area-code each day.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:24 pm »
Yesterday, I made a complaint to sky.

Sky acknowledged my email and asked me to provide the first and last letters from my password, which I did.

Later, I received a telephone call from a lady saying she was from Sky.

To proceed, she asked me to give her my password in full.

For security reasons, I refused and she couldn't understand why when I explained why.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #317 on: February 10, 2017, 03:03:15 pm »
I have developed the habit of being totally gormless ( If you know what that is), with these people. I pretend that I am someone there doing some job, or whatever and deny any knowledge of the house and the people there. Usually they come to the conclusion that I am talking rubbish ( Which I am) and ring off.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #318 on: February 10, 2017, 05:28:19 pm »
Yesterday, I made a complaint to sky.

Sky acknowledged my email and asked me to provide the first and last letters from my password, which I did.

Later, I received a telephone call from a lady saying she was from Sky.

To proceed, she asked me to give her my password in full.

For security reasons, I refused and she couldn't understand why when I explained why.

SKY are evil when it comes to customer service.
However they always ask for my password in full when I have the misfortune to call them.
These days, instead, I use their online chat for help, much quicker, cheaper and less stressful.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #319 on: February 10, 2017, 06:41:58 pm »
If I'm not gormless then I must be able to describe myself as gorm.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2017, 10:50:33 pm »
I've just had a phone call from a man calling himself Michael but in a very heavy Asian accent.   He said he was from Microsoft securities and was phoning about my computer.
When I told "Michael" I hadn't got a computer he just put the phone down.    I wonder why he did that?      ;D

That's interesting, Hugo - I got a similar call on my phone today. A man with a foreign (Asian-sounding) accent claiming to be with Microsoft. I wonder if they just target a different area-code each day.

I checked my caller display afterwards and it was an international call

Offline Hugo

« Reply #321 on: February 15, 2017, 06:13:46 pm »
I received another International phone call today but this time a number was also left.   When I picked up the phone the caller had a heavy Asian accent so I immediately hung up on him

I put the number into Google    0012393079799   and this came up

These scammers called me today, but I was in the shower, but I've had similar calls. These people want your name, and will likely ask for your bank details so that they ''can give you your compensation.'' In my humble opinion, they will call on another day and use this to try and scare you into moving money into their account, by pretending to be your bank.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #322 on: March 20, 2017, 12:41:56 pm »
Not in the three towns area yet, but be aware ...Public Protection officers are warning consumers across the county to beware of fish salesmen trying to persuade householders to buy fresh fish.

Trading Standards and North Wales Police in the last week of traders selling door to door, asking residents, including older people, if they would like to buy fish. Dates and quality in question.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #323 on: March 20, 2017, 11:21:02 pm »
But I like fresh fish!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #324 on: April 11, 2017, 11:50:19 am »
Alert as hyper-real bank text message fraud detected
Increasingly sophisticated fraudsters have a new bank scam that is costing customers thousands of pounds

Fraudsters are using spoof mobile numbers to con bank customers into handing over their account details.
The increasingly sophisticated scam sees text messages being sent to people's phones - using the SAME thread as used by their real banks.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/alert-hyper-real-bank-text-12877126

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #325 on: April 11, 2017, 12:03:43 pm »
Does anyone else have problems with the Daily Post website - almost every time I click on it the amount of adverts and crap on there causes my browser to crash (I'm using google chrome)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #326 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:09 pm »
Does anyone else have problems with the Daily Post website - almost every time I click on it the amount of adverts and crap on there causes my browser to crash (I'm using google chrome)
DaveR mentioned this before, my home computer gets all the adverts yet my tablet does'nt, I'm on chrome too.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #327 on: April 11, 2017, 02:13:39 pm »

Recently the speed of download from the Daily Post has speeded up, also the same from another Trinity Mirror site which I use regularly. It used to take hours because of all the adverts.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2017, 05:09:41 pm »
I received an automated  phone call this afternoon but I hung up before it ended.   I then had a look at the caller display and checked it out on Google
The number  07953966066   turned out to be a scam so I'm glad that I checked the number out before phoning back

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjeotSgvr3TAhWBF8AKHfyWDVgQFggoMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.moneysavingexpert.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D3313610&usg=AFQjCNGW-pB68k5XufwrNjf3tycl3CWktQ

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #329 on: April 25, 2017, 03:53:22 am »
I received an automated  phone call this afternoon but I hung up before it ended.   I then had a look at the caller display and checked it out on Google
The number  07953966066   turned out to be a scam so I'm glad that I checked the number out before phoning back

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjeotSgvr3TAhWBF8AKHfyWDVgQFggoMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.moneysavingexpert.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D3313610&usg=AFQjCNGW-pB68k5XufwrNjf3tycl3CWktQ

According to the link it isn't a scam but T-Mobile's Text to Landline service. If someone texting you chooses the landline number by mistake instead of your mobile this is a service that will convert the text into a computer generated voice message so you can still retrieve the message.

Valar Morghulis