Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 240065 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:20 am »
 If you think you have trouble with unwanted phone calls/text I can tell you, you,ve heard nothing compared to what u get here in Goa.
  I've got my usual uk mobile but I don't answer it unless I know the number. Because of the absolutely sky high cost of answering a call, something around £5 a minute.
  I've also got a mobile with a Goa SIM card in it, which I use a bit to keep in touch with my family in uk.
   On average this receives, eight calls and six texts EVERY DAY inc weekends. I don't answer them but I save the numbers and I know them. Sometimes I read the texts but mostly just delete.
  The calls arrive with a noisy bit of Indian so called music. I find that I am automatically charged for this bit of music, not much but in future I am going to find out how or if to stop it.
  Every message text is selling something, even to paying for ladies, presumably young, to call you up at breakfast time .  Thanks, I,d rather enjoy my lie in by myself thank you

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2014, 11:45:54 am »
Try talking Welsh to them, Stan.  $walesflag$

Apologies - my Welsh is a bit limited.

Have a go Stan, my Welsh is very limited too but they give up long before I do.         $walesflag$

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2014, 05:17:31 pm »
You're right Hugo, I could just keep reeling off words like:-

bore da, prynhawn da, noswaith dda, Cymraeg, or in my case, dim Cymraeg, diolch, croeso, hwyl, and the numbers, and when I have said that, I could repeat them in a different order!!

Thanks for the suggestion Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »
It's worth a try Stan, but don't say any English words and see how long they last.     $walesflag$

Try adding this to your repertoire  Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch,  it works every time!       ;D

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »
I have just received an 'e-mail' warning of a Phone scam.  You receive a call saying sorry that they missed you as they have something important to tell you and to call them on a No. with the area code'0809' This is apparently is the code for the Dominican Republic and you will be charged £1,500 per minute with a long recorded message to keep you on line as long as possible.  If you challenge the Phone bill the phone company will not reinburse you as you have phoned the No. yourself.    :(
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2014, 02:01:52 pm »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline systema

« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2014, 06:49:43 pm »
If you think you have trouble with unwanted phone calls/text I can tell you, you,ve heard nothing compared to what u get here in Goa.

When we lived there we used to get it all the time - we went into the shop (Babutes if you know it) and he put a number in it to stop them as we were charged 1 or 2 rupees even when we did not answer them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:44:24 am by Ian »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2014, 08:32:17 am »
Thanks

When we lived there we used to get it all the time - we went into the shop (Babutes if you know it) and he put a number in it to stop them as we were charged 1 or 2 rupees even when we did not answer them.
systema. Thanks a lot. No, I don't know Babutes. Which town is it in?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:44:50 am by Ian »

Offline systema

« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2014, 08:52:05 am »
Sorry - I thought afterwards you may be in South Goa and it was too late to alter it.  It is in Calangute on the road going towards Candolim just past the church in the middle of the road. (St. Anthony's Chapel).

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2014, 10:30:46 am »
Thanks

i

When we lived there we used to get it all the time
systema. Thanks a lot. No, I don't know Babutes. Which town is it in?
thanks again. I know just where you mean, indeed I went past there only last week
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:45:31 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2014, 11:41:29 am »
If you have a PC back up your data.  Almost one third of those infected with Cryptolocker paid up to save their files:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/28/cryptolocker_victims_pay_up_survey/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2014, 11:43:42 am »
If you often forward jokes and cartoons to other folk, remember not to leave any addresses on the emails.  In fact, it's better never to use the CC line on emails. Always use the BCC line or simply copy and past the text.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2014, 06:12:31 pm »
That's sound advice Ian.      $good$     
I often receive e-mails that that have several other addresses on them but always make sure that I delete every one before passing it on to others.
I just hope that those that I do pass the e-mails on to do the same as me.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2014, 03:31:57 pm »
A couple of months ago, I was so feed up with hearing and reading about British Gas exorbitant profit making that I decided to do something about it. Quite coincidently a very nice lady from U-Switch appeared on BBC Breakfast TV and confirmed I’d be silly not to switch suppliers.

So using U-Switch they came up with N-Power as being my best option. Checked my prices and although their standing charge for Gas was very high it was definitely a better deal than staying with BG, so I swapped.

A month later I got my first bill from N-Power which surprised me as I was supposed to be on quarterly billing. In the cold light of day their Bill was almost the same as I would have expected to pay BG.

Pity for them as now  I’m in the  switching mode and because of my experience with U-Switch  I used the Experian web site and this time was advised to switch to Ecotricity, a small independent supplier the U-Switch site  didn’t even bother to list.

I talked to a friendly young operator at Ecotricity this morning, who apologised for keeping me waiting. He told me they are currently being swamped with requests from new customers wanting to switch

The moral of this tale is don’t believe a comparison site will give the best deal for you and don’t give up keep looking.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »
About 6 weeks ago we switched from BT and Scottish Power to Utilities Warehouse, all seems fine, phone and broadband is about half the price, not had power bill yet. They are a Which recommended supplier so I thought I would give them a try! Only downside is the almost evangelical enthusiasm of the nice lady who signed us up, they want you to give them lots of names and numbers to sign more up, not my thing so I ignored that part!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas